U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:58 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,879,151 times

Advertisements

Spot Free in 30 Days is a booklet that basically recommends a strict vegetarian diet. Supposedly a cleansing diet, you have to pay $25 USD to get the booklet, and all of the advice in it is available free on the internet from various forums. The website also sells all sorts of products, which pretty much negate the claim that all you need to do is change your diet. If that was all you needed to do, the website wouldn't be selling all those other products.

In short, psoriasis.com is a commercial site that exists to take money from people who aren't willing to do some research on their own for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 05:03 PM

9,967 posts, read 16,577,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Stress is the most common trigger of psoriasis. If you're under a lot of stress, you could reduce the flareups by destressing.

Also, try 2-3 drops of tea tree oil with 1 teaspoon of olive oil (fresh from the kitchen cabinet). Use a few drops of that total combination on each area affected, applied by gently pressing it, not rubbing it in. Never rub things into the skin where you have a psoriasis flareup, always press gently. That'll help keep it from getting more irritated.

Also try that olive oil/tea tree combo only on a small patch of affected skin first, let it sit for an hour. If you find that it either a) doesn't show any change at all or b) actually feels better then go ahead and use it on the rest of the flareups. If you're finding it more uncomfortable than it was before, then use whatever soap product is safe for your skin with water to -gently- rinse it off.

Again - don't rub. Press. Dab.
Thanks, Chick, will try!

Actually, I've tried the tea tree oil, but it stung, Perhaps with olive oil it might not be so drying. Also, I found a soap that has tea tree oil and some sort of mositurizer, might give it a try.,

Actually, I' finding the vaseline works the best. Just gently rub it in, onto damp skin to lock in moisture. I've been taking Benedryl to stop the scratch-itch cycle. The best thing to do now is leave it alone.

I was worried over the weekend it would crack right open, it was so taunt and dry.

Right now its not painful, and has formed a top layer of sorts, like dead skin. I do NOT scratch, or otherwise remove it. Its been falling off on its own, sort of like a piece of brittle plastic. There's new skin underneath. Lets hope it stays healthy.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:06 PM

9,967 posts, read 16,577,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Spot Free in 30 Days is a booklet that basically recommends a strict vegetarian diet. Supposedly a cleansing diet, you have to pay $25 USD to get the booklet, and all of the advice in it is available free on the internet from various forums. The website also sells all sorts of products, which pretty much negate the claim that all you need to do is change your diet. If that was all you needed to do, the website wouldn't be selling all those other products.

In short, psoriasis.com is a commercial site that exists to take money from people who aren't willing to do some research on their own for free.

You're so right, so many times we can help ourselves along, in addition to whatever the doctors say. I've found treating myself, in combination with medically prescribed therapies, is the best way to go.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:45 PM

There is strong evidence that certain foods can trigger a flareup, in addition to stress. So there's definitely merit in learning what, if any, foods will trigger it for you and avoiding those things. What you might try doing is keeping a food journal. You don't need to measure anything.

Merely write down everything you eat. If you're eating chicken salad, make sure you include mayo and celery in the list. Whenever you get a flareup, mark the page. After a week or two, check back on all the days you have marked, and see if there are any specific foods that you ate those days, that you didn't eat the days that didn't have flareups.

Once you've isolated those foods, eliminate them from your diet for a couple of months. If you find you're not flaring as often, then you've just discovered a trigger and can now avoid it entirely.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:45 PM

26,157 posts, read 16,135,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick
Ya kinda figured that...

Seems like there is hardily anyone out there that is JUST WILLING TO HELP FROM THIER HEART

Old 11-13-2010, 11:44 PM

101 posts, read 274,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I started taking NSAIDs for a bad knee, and within a month the plaques started receding from quite a few areas and the itching and burning stopped. I'm still on the NSAIDs (Rx Naproxen as well as Advil in between scripts of the other).
I have had the same experience. I had knee replacement surgery and all the narcotics made me crazy. Lots and lots of ibuprofen and my skin looks really, really good now. Seems odd but if it controls inflamation, it makes sense I suppose.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:54 PM

840 posts, read 2,171,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christylou View Post
I have had the same experience. I had knee replacement surgery and all the narcotics made me crazy. Lots and lots of ibuprofen and my skin looks really, really good now. Seems odd but if it controls inflamation, it makes sense I suppose.
I know this is a thread resurrection, but I saw this and just had to comment.

This is true! I have a typical presentation of plaque psoriasis, (hands, knees, elbows) and every time I take strong doses of Ibuprofen for a few days, the psoriasis gets better.

I thought I was crazy!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM

My skin problem is a very mild form of eczema. At least, that's what the doctors have guessed, but it's mild enough I don't think it's worth the effort of any special tests. It starts out as a little black dot at the base of my middle finger on my palm. After a day, the skin is raised over that dot, and expands further into a very shallow blister-type texture, not filled with anything at all, not even blown up with air. Just as if it was a layer of skin, sitting on top of my skin, and attached only by the edges. It peels off with no pain, no bleeding. It doesn't itch, it's not raw underneath. It doesn't spread either - it's usually in the same spot. On rare occasions I've noticed it a little further down my palm, and once I noticed it on my opposite thumb.

But as I said it never bleeds, or itches, or hurts, or oozes. It's just a little bit of peeling skin that comes off the top layer of perfectly healthy skin beneath it.

I don't do anything about it other than peel off the outer layer and use a hand cream to keep it moisturized. I dont know if that helps it or not but it makes me feel like Im doing something useful about it

Old 01-16-2011, 02:11 PM

31,544 posts, read 34,801,307 times
Quote:
But without the methotrexate the psoraisis was all over my body, including my scalp, the itching was intense, enough to make you want to jump off the nearest bridge. Also, the psoratic arthritis was intense, at least now its under control.

I do worry about the side effects, though, and take half what my rheumatologist prescribes. he prescribes 20 mg/week, I take 10 mg/week, that seems to work as well as the 20 mg, I don't notice any difference, and the risk factors are less.

Would you consider taking the full 20mg/week dose? It may actually do the trick over time and I would try that regardless of any risk factors.

My best friend has suffered terribly from this for years. She is also on the heavy duty drugs and is monitored carefully by her doctors with regular blood work. For her the qualify of day to day life takes precedence over something that might happen from the drugs.

It's a horrible disease and I'm sorry you have to suffer with it. I'm a life long eczema sufferer myself but I'll take my eczema over my friends psoriasis any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness