U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:53 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,531,235 times

Advertisements

Anyone have this problem?

I've had this since 2002 after a root canal. After seeing numerous dentists, we discovered it was not a dental issue.

Then a neurologist found one I had Trigminal Neuralgia. I have been taking Carbamazepine 200mg ever since. It works but every after 4-6 months or so the pain (pinching, burning sensation) comes back in my gums where the root canal was. It can last anywhere from 1 to 7 days. Its a discomfort.

Any suggestions? Switch medicine? Get surgery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,056,789 times
I had a coworker who suffered with this for many years (and surely still is, but I haven't spoken with her in a few years). I am so sorry, I know this is an excruciating and very debilitating disease. She had to have a few different procedures done; the end result was numbness in her face and continued but somewhat lessened pain.
The best advice I could give, is to be sure to be working with a neurologist who has an expertise in this rare and serious disease.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:03 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,975,738 times
Ask your doc about Neurontin. It helps make the nerves less sensitized. I took it for sciatica for some years until the pain from my bad back went away. It can be sedating so I took it at night.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:25 PM

25,320 posts, read 30,140,673 times
Another drug to ask about is Lyrica.

See here: Trigeminal Neuralgia Association (http://www.fpa-support.org/aboutfp/treatment.html - broken link)

My hubby took Lyrica when he had shingles involving his face. It really helped, and that is also neurogenic type pain.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I had a coworker who suffered with this for many years (and surely still is, but I haven't spoken with her in a few years). I am so sorry, I know this is an excruciating and very debilitating disease. She had to have a few different procedures done; the end result was numbness in her face and continued but somewhat lessened pain.
The best advice I could give, is to be sure to be working with a neurologist who has an expertise in this rare and serious disease.
Did she get surgery? There is the decompression and the Gamma Knife.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Another drug to ask about is Lyrica.

See here: Trigeminal Neuralgia Association (http://www.fpa-support.org/aboutfp/treatment.html - broken link)

My hubby took Lyrica when he had shingles involving his face. It really helped, and that is also neurogenic type pain.
Right now, I want to consider surgery so I can end the medication.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Ask your doc about Neurontin. It helps make the nerves less sensitized. I took it for sciatica for some years until the pain from my bad back went away. It can be sedating so I took it at night.
Carbamazepine 200mg works 100% when it works. I get the burning/pinching sensation once every 4-6 months or so for 1-7 days and I hope this time it does not last more then 7 days either but I want to consider surgery. Also this med has no side effects, not even drowiness.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:35 PM

Know I am on 400mg of Carba. Its been one day and still no change in pain.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:24 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,593,865 times
Are you seeing a chiropractor? I have a family member who developed bilateral atypical TN after seeing a chiropractor who was manually adjusting her neck for migraines. It did help with the migraines but the TN started shortly after starting to see him.

We scheduled her for surgery about 12 months before moving to Idaho from California. We figured we would travel back to California for the surgery the following summer. In the meantime she started seeing a new chiropractor who used and the activator (low-force) technique. She had a neurologist in Boise that encouraged her to see how far back she could taper the carbamazepine and we were pleasantly surprised that she no longer needed it. She was still a little sensitive to cold for the first winter but it has been over a year now since she has had any facial pain.

I am a fan of chiropractic in general, but I am now a bigger fan of the low-force techniques. We didn't put the pieces together for a few months, and the neurologist is pretty convinced the TN is only in remission and will return, but I really think the nerves were being aggravated by the adjustments.

The facial pain website above is a good one. If you do get consider the surgery make sure you get a couple of opinions and consider a surgeon who can perform more than one type of surgery. If your surgeon only performs a single type of surgery then he will be more likely to assure you that his particular procedure is the best one for you. As a wise friend once told me, "when your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Are you seeing a chiropractor? I have a family member who developed bilateral atypical TN after seeing a chiropractor who was manually adjusting her neck for migraines. It did help with the migraines but the TN started shortly after starting to see him.

We scheduled her for surgery about 12 months before moving to Idaho from California. We figured we would travel back to California for the surgery the following summer. In the meantime she started seeing a new chiropractor who used and the activator (low-force) technique. She had a neurologist in Boise that encouraged her to see how far back she could taper the carbamazepine and we were pleasantly surprised that she no longer needed it. She was still a little sensitive to cold for the first winter but it has been over a year now since she has had any facial pain.

I am a fan of chiropractic in general, but I am now a bigger fan of the low-force techniques. We didn't put the pieces together for a few months, and the neurologist is pretty convinced the TN is only in remission and will return, but I really think the nerves were being aggravated by the adjustments.

The facial pain website above is a good one. If you do get consider the surgery make sure you get a couple of opinions and consider a surgeon who can perform more than one type of surgery. If your surgeon only performs a single type of surgery then he will be more likely to assure you that his particular procedure is the best one for you. As a wise friend once told me, "when your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
I don't have migraines nor any headaches. Mine happened after a root canal back in 2002.

Go Niners. We need to win one today vs Phily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness