Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 12:56 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

COLUMBUS, Ohio — State lawmakers in Columbus are considering a bill that would ban teenagers from using commercial tanning beds.

State Representative Courtney Combs is a Republican from Hamilton who introduced the bill. He says tanning beds can cause skin cancer and other problems.

The California Legislature passed a law in 2004 that bans children under age 14 from using tanning booths without a doctor's prescription.

The bill that Combs introduced to the Ohio House last month would prohibit anyone younger than 18 from using a commercial tanning bed without a doctor's prescription for ultraviolet radiation treatments.

FOXNews.com - Ohio Considers Banning Teens From Commercial Tanning Beds - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 03:03 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,719 times
The proposed bill may go too far to an extent.

A family member owned and operated a tanning salon, which I managed several years ago. As the article states, minors currently need to get parental permission before tanning.

I witnessed first hand some obsessive adults and teens totally abuse the minutes allowed in the tanning bed or not follow the other instructions like wearing the special eye protection or they would go in the tanning beds with baby oil on......we banned that customer from tanning at the salon after that incident.

Some people will argue "well I can lay outside in the sun, what's the difference"?
There is a huge difference. Tanning beds are a whole lot more intense than laying outside. Not to mention it is under their own discretion whatever they do outside the tanning salon.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:55 PM

72,416 posts, read 18,200,999 times
I have heard from other sources that using too much of it will make your skin snake like, is it true?
I really don't understand why would anyone want to be under it. Sounds scary

Old 07-03-2007, 10:17 PM

292 posts, read 993,605 times
I have used tanning beds before a trip to Florida. I was going to Florida in March when it was too cold to lay out in February. I wonder if the law is going to do fine the tanning booth operator if the teen uses a fake ID to get a tan? Why can't the teens be responsible for the their own health? I think if they can drive a car they can get a tan.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:20 PM

Dragonten, I think it is a matter of opinion of what shedding stage the snake is in....

Personally, I don't understand why some people would purposely subject themselves to a tanning session.

If they first went to the dermatologist and had an analysis (White Light Digital Imaging) of the extent of damage caused by the sun’s harmful UV rays, I'm thinking some would reconsider the time spent in the sun and wear an SPF of 50+.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:05 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,575 times
I used them as a teenager, and I sure wish that I hadn't. My skin hasn't suffered for it, but I'm worried that I'll end up with skin cancer from it. I'm in favor of this, or at least requiring parental approval.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:25 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,187,103 times
Quote:
I think if they can drive a car they can get a tan.
Okay, so limit it to anyone over the age of 16.

Personally I don't understand why anyone want to tan, esp in a tanning salon anyway. But if you have to, at least keep out the ones too young to drive. Liz

Old 07-03-2007, 11:57 PM

72,416 posts, read 18,200,999 times
Sun damage will show when you are over 45.It doesn't show right away. I used to go to the beach when I was a teenager,didn't think about aging,who would think of aging as a teenager? you think you will live forever. Now I am starting to take care of it.I have blochy skin.So tanning beds should be used in moderation.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:58 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
There is a greater incidence of melanoma in these young people. Everyone should be wearing sunscreen and big hats!

Old 07-07-2007, 08:43 PM

Woman dies from tanning bed...victim of Tanorexia.
A term I just learned about but knew it had to exist, as I said earlier having witnessed some of the obsessed people that would visit the salon I worked at.

Tanning bed killed mom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness