Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:50 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,418 times

Advertisements

I like my 2-3 cups of coffee, and use sugar. I switched to Splenda a while back, but went back to regular sugar after reading how Splenda was processed.

So, what have you found to be the healthiest sugar substitute?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 08:46 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,188 times
Stevia, though it does have a little aftertaste.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:59 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
I like my 2-3 cups of coffee, and use sugar. I switched to Splenda a while back, but went back to regular sugar after reading how Splenda was processed.

Thank you
Stevia is the healthiest sugar substitute, but a lot of people don't like a sort of licorice aftertaste that it has.
The best tasting Stevia that I've encountered comes in a liquid form from Body Ecology.

About Stevia, All Natural Sweeteners - BodyEcology.com

If you don't like Stevia, another good option is Blue Agave Nectar. It tastes really good in my opinion.

Wholesome Sweeteners Organic raw blue agave, 23.5-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

And of course, there is honey and maple syrup, although they are my least favorite. If you have to use sugar, chose a raw brown one over the white one.

I don't ever use Splenda or any other artifical sweeteners.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:40 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,047 times
I'm not a Stevia fan. The after taste of it is awful. In my opinion, the best sugar substitute, is Agave Nectar. It's organic, with no artificial ingredients. Agave Nectar has no after taste, it doesn't raise your blood sugar, and can be used for anything. You can put it in both hot and cold drinks, use it in baking recipes, sauces, etc. There's no limit to its uses. You can even put Agave Nectar on your pancakes, instead of syrup!

Old 10-10-2010, 05:20 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
Talking No substitute for a natural product !

IMHO sugar is an empty calorie which lowers immunity. However, when I absolutely need some sweetner in anything..... I choose a small amount of sugar, honey or pure maple syrup. I avoid all artificial sweeteners !! They say agave nectar is natural but IMHO it is very highly processed and internet searches reveal it is also controversial regarding its health benefits. SO.... I'm sticking with sweeteners that I know are natural and minimally processed

Old 10-10-2010, 05:37 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
IMHO sugar is an empty calorie which lowers immunity. However, when I absolutely need some sweetner in anything..... I choose a small amount of sugar, honey or pure maple syrup. I avoid all artificial sweeteners !! They say agave nectar is natural but IMHO it is very highly processed and internet searches reveal it is also controversial regarding its health benefits. SO.... I'm sticking with sweeteners that I know are natural and minimally processed
Agave is NOT highly processed, where are you getting this opinion from?

Old 10-10-2010, 05:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:

Thank you
Most of the 54 pounds of sugar that the average American citizen eats in a year does not come from the spoonful or two that we put in our coffee in the morning. You should be much more concerned with the sugar that is hidden in the myriad of processed foods that are on the shelf of every grocery store.

I use sugar in my coffee because I prefer the taste. I do not think that two teaspoons of sugar is going to significantly impact my health and wellness.

You would be much better advised to review the processed foods that you consume on a daily basis and seek to replace THEM with healthier alternatives.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-10-2010, 06:47 PM

Default google it for yourself !

http://preventdisease.com/news/09/062309_agave.shtml

Last edited by ConeyIsBabe; 10-10-2010 at 07:02 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 07:04 PM

Default interesting info about processed agave

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Agave is NOT highly processed, where are you getting this opinion from?

Sweet Savvy: Natural Sweetener Recipes (http://www.sweetsavvy.com/sweeteners/summary.php?id=Agave%20Nectar - broken link)

Old 10-10-2010, 07:23 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:

Thank you
As a diabetic I asked the same question. After due research ,and consideration, I decided none of the "fake" sugars were healthy enough to risk even occasional consumption.

That said, I drink everything sans sugar and eat all foods sans sugar also. If I happen to get some hidden sugar I can't stand the taste I'm not used to it anymore. Interestingly, once you get away from refined sugars you don't miss them a bit.

That also means I no longer have to be concerned about sweeteners either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness