Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:05 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, which should I choose? A potentially risky surgery or changing my diet and drinking some herbal tea? At least to start with, b/c I believe the non-invasive stuff should always be tried first. This is not a dig at those who chose surgery, but at those who seem to think that it should be the first option.

That's interesting that the tea can cause fibroids to grow but decrease the amount of flow of your periods. In my case I just want them to slow down, so I'll keep with this, but I'm wondering if there's an initial effect--my understanding is that raspberry leaf tones and strengthens the uterus. Menopause--hurry up! It's def true that it's genetic--I inherited the family curse right straight down the line thru my mother and grandmother. G-ma told me that her mother used to pass out from being so low on iron and I pretty much have to stay on supplements myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 04:44 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Hmmm, which should I choose? A potentially risky surgery or changing my diet and drinking some herbal tea? At least to start with, b/c I believe the non-invasive stuff should always be tried first. This is not a dig at those who chose surgery, but at those who seem to think that it should be the first option.

That's interesting that the tea can cause fibroids to grow but decrease the amount of flow of your periods. In my case I just want them to slow down, so I'll keep with this, but I'm wondering if there's an initial effect--my understanding is that raspberry leaf tones and strengthens the uterus. Menopause--hurry up! It's def true that it's genetic--I inherited the family curse right straight down the line thru my mother and grandmother. G-ma told me that her mother used to pass out from being so low on iron and I pretty much have to stay on supplements myself.

OK, so I guess I posted too soon. I did more reading. I'm not going to post a lot of links, but summarize what I found. As we know the tea is promoted to tone and strengthen the uterus. It also some estrogenic qualities. It is THIS quality that was proported to contribute to fibroid growth. I've also read that foods/supplements with estrogenic qualities (as opposed to medications) react differently in the body and can help manage estrogen levels and even help improve symptoms including fibroid issues.

I don't have a lot of family history to work from and I'm trying to avoid surgery as well. Just trying to learn what I can about anything I CAN do that COULD help. Personally, I don't expect tea, capsules, or diet changes to make a great difference. For now as I bide my time until menopause I might as well eat a little better and sip a cup of tea in the meantime!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 PM

16 posts, read 54,480 times
I have seen different sources suggest to use a Castor Oil pack with a heating pad over the abdomen for uterine fibroids. A few other sources advise there are no valid studies that show the use of the pack does anything to shrink fibroids.... It is hard to know who to believe.
(Just Google: Castor Oil pack for uterine fibroids and check it out)

Has anyone here tried this and found it to have provided any relief or actual shrinkage or even just maintained no additional growth after using a castor oil pack for any time period?

Old 11-06-2010, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,962 times
Default Uterine Fibroids - Ugh.

Hi,

I can truly sympathize with your pain. As we speak I am recouping from surgery. I was diagnosed with 3 Fibroid tumors located at the top of my uterine wall.

I have had excruciating pain for the past three years - and have been diagnosed with fibroids about 2 months.

I went in for surgery on Monday to have them removed - only to wake up and find out that they have not removed them. I was . . .am devastated. As it turns out my fallopian tubes are inverted and I have Stage 4 Endometriosis that is wrapping it self around my uterus, ovary, fallopian tubes and parts of my bowel. Due to the extreme endometriosis they could not remove the fibroids without the chance of a a hysterectomy.

The procedure was considered invasive surgery. I would suggest asking your doctor to find out if you have any signs of endometriosis before surgery. Laparoscopic surgery can detect endometriosis, also is minimally invasive surgery.

Best of luck...

Old 11-06-2010, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,962 times
Me again -

I have been doing caster oil treatments - 3 days on - 4 days off. I have cut down my consumption of Coffee, Tofu and Soy are big contributors to fibroid growth along with parabens. I have been slowly removing them from my life. Parabens are found in Shampoo, Conditioner, soaps, make up, tooth paste - way too much stuff!

I also have been going to Acupuncture and Chiropractor to align my pelvis. These are all things that do not work overnight - but can slow the growth down and sometime even shrink them.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:31 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,640 times
I had the ablation surgery done and it was the best decision of my life. Now I'm period free, anemia free, and fibroid free.

It was only day surgery and hardly even hurt. It was just like light period cramping.

I'd recommend it to everyone if you don't want more children.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:31 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
I don't have a lot of family history to work from and I'm trying to avoid surgery as well. Just trying to learn what I can about anything I CAN do that COULD help. Personally, I don't expect tea, capsules, or diet changes to make a great difference. For now as I bide my time until menopause I might as well eat a little better and sip a cup of tea in the meantime!
I didn't think the tea would help either--or at least I didn't expect it to work quickly, but the results were quick and dramatic. I'll wait and see if they're lasting, but when I was in Oz, it seemed like the effects lasted quite a while, which was great b/c nothing is worse than fibroid periods when you're traveling. My doc said that getting my weight down would help quite a bit, b/c the extra weight causes a hormonal imbalance in your body and raises your estrogen level. He's not much into natural remedies but I trust him on everything else and on this, so I've dropped sugar foods completely out of my diet and am working on getting the carbs down too. We already know that weight problems and lack of blood sugar control can make female problems worse--just consider PCOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl009 View Post
Me again - I have been doing caster oil treatments - 3 days on - 4 days off. I have cut down my consumption of Coffee, Tofu and Soy are big contributors to fibroid growth along with parabens. I have been slowly removing them from my life. Parabens are found in Shampoo, Conditioner, soaps, make up, tooth paste - way too much stuff!

I also have been going to Acupuncture and Chiropractor to align my pelvis. These are all things that do not work overnight - but can slow the growth down and sometime even shrink them.
I'm so sorry to hear what you've gone thru--you surely win the miserableness contest on here. Please let us know how your changes work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness