U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:09 AM

2,185 posts, read 4,765,761 times

Advertisements

I had a 10cm fibroid, it might be bigger now and several others. I have no idea why I have them at my age but I do. They never were a bother to me but now I feel so full and bloated all the time it's very uncomfortable!

My option was a myomectomy, but told there is a risk of having a hysterectomy, the idea of sirgery in itself doesn't thrill me bcause I am afraid of being knocked out, but waking up and finding out everything has been removed scares me even more.

Has anyone had treatment for fibroids and what was your experinece?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,114,550 times
I am in the same boat as you. My fibroids cause very heavy periods and I'm anemic due to them. I'm 35 and done having kids? I would love a hysterectomy but like you I am too scared of getting knocked out. As crazy as it sounds I owuld prefer to be awake.
My OB?GYN has me on progesterone to decrease the pain I am having but so far all it is doing is messing up my cycles.
Are you done having kids? Do you want kids?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:11 AM

I am done having kids! Does the progesterone cause weight gain? I want to avoid that. I just feel so bloated and full and uncomfortable. I hate it.

My period is so bad the first 2 days I am unable to go anywhere and then it just stops. very other month I bleed a little for 3 weeks.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 AM

3,360 posts, read 11,857,882 times
This is one reason why women who want kids should do it earlier rather than later if you have a family history of female fibroids. You should ask female relatives if so as it's not always clear.

I waited ten years to have mine out and they were huge, made me look and feel pregnant all the time. Felt much better afterwards dealing with a flood of bleeding that required changing pads after walking from upstairs to downstairs.

Being put out is nothing at all to be afraid of. After they put you on the table you won't even know it happens, you're just out suddenly. I was given the option of self applied morphine afterwards but didn't use it as the pain was only bad for the first 24 hrs and I opted for non-narcotics which was probably too spartan an approach. I could sit up immediately on the bed indian style and not having a big gut there felt great. There was a little bit of internal rearranging because of it's having pushed things around but that's it. Your life will be much better having taken care of this problem.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:12 PM

I fel my stomach now and I always had a super flat stomach, now in the past year it;'s just gotten so bloated and puffy, it looks horrible! Now I even feel a little prego and thats a horrible feeling when you aren't! lol

I am just afraid of my blood pressure going nuts during surgery. Even though it's petty stable right now, it's not 100%.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:30 PM

863 posts, read 2,882,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I fel my stomach now and I always had a super flat stomach, now in the past year it;'s just gotten so bloated and puffy, it looks horrible! Now I even feel a little prego and thats a horrible feeling when you aren't! lol
I'm having the same problem. My larger fibroid is about 12cm. I was scheduled for surgery but canceled because I didn't want an abdominal but more importantly, I wasn't having any problems (with my periods.) I'm not afraid of the anesthesia, but fibroids are normal and without any other issues, I wasn't sure I wanted to go through the pain and expense of surgery that I didn't have to have.

I'm though just about at wits end though with the pudgy belly that I've never had before!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:33 PM

35,627 posts, read 38,090,470 times
Fibroids are one of the leading indications for hysterectomy in the US.

There are other alternatives, however.

* If there are no symptoms, do nothing. There can be cancerous fibroids, but they are uncommon. There is no reliable way to differentiate cancerous fibroids from benign ones, though they are more common in women 40 to 60 years old and in African American women. Cancerous fibroids are usually single and tend to be larger. The only way to diagnose them is by removing them for pathologic evaluation. If the clinician has any doubt, the fibroid should be removed.

* For women who want to get pregnant and for whom the fibroid(s) are causing symptoms, it is possible to shrink them with medications called GnRh agonists. See here: Can Fibroids Be Treated With Medication? .The fibroids can then be removed surgically (myomectomy). The route of removal depends on the size and location of the fibroid. Some can be removed from inside the uterus with the hysteroscope, a telescope inserted through the cervix; others may require placing a telescope into the abdomen (laparoscope). The problem with medication alone is that there are significant side effects which limit the duration of use, it is not usually possible to get pregnant while using the medication, and the fibroids tend to regrow after the medication is stopped. For women nearing menopause, the medication may be used to bridge the time interval until periods stop, but fibroids may increase in size if postmenopausal estrogen is used. Periods generally stop during GnRH agonist use.

* Fibroids can be treated with two methods that destroy the fibroid without removing it.
One method, uterine artery embolization, involves inserting a catheter into the vessels to the fibroid and blocking it with microscopic plastic spheres. This cuts off blood flow to the fibroid and causes it to shrink. See the details here: http://www.fibroidworld.com/UAE.htm . This procedure requires only a local anesthetic, but there is sometimes significant pain afterwards and some patients grow new fibroids in the future. A newer method uses an electric current to destroy the fibroid. See here: Laparoscopic Radiofrequency Ablation Treats Uterine Fibroids | February 2009 | Primary Care Connections | UCSF Medical Center .This procedure is done with a telescope inside the abdomen and does require an anesthetic.

* For women with multiple or large fibroids who have significant pain, bleeding, or pressure symptoms, who do not desire further pregnancies, and who are remote from menopause, hysterectomy may offer the best chance of long term success. Many times it can be done laparosopically or vaginally, with day surgery or an overnight stay. The vaginal approach is frequently used if there are anatomic problems with the vagina related to childbirth which need a little plastic surgery to repair. Vaginal hysterectomy can be performed with an epidural anesthetic, similar to what is used for Cesarean section. I have known many women who have had hysterectomies, and many have commented that they wish they had done it sooner. Few have had regrets, and at least one of them had it done before she had exhausted all her infertility treatment options.

* For small fibroids, it may be possible to treat abnormal bleeding by destroying the uterine lining, a process called endometrial ablation. This is done by inserting the hysteroscope, and several systems can be used. Some use heated water, others use electrically generated heat, and some mechanically remove the tissue. The method used is generally based on the surgeon's experience and preference. Ablation can be combined with removal of fibroids.

Progesterone is used to treat bleeding disorders related to problems with not ovulating. It may be helpful if there is an ovulation issue separate from the presence of the fibroids, but it will not treat fibroids themselves. Many insurance companies will require a trial on hormone medication before paying for surgery if the primary symptom is abnormal bleeding. Fibroids located right under the uterine lining can cause bleeding unresponsive to hormones.

Many women find their quality of life greatly improved with hysterectomy. No bleeding, no pain, improved sex life, less anemia. For those of you with concerns about anesthesia, some of the other methods might have appeal.

On a final note. The terms "total" and "partial" hysterectomy should be discarded. They are imprecise and misleading. To the gynecologist, a "total hysterectomy" means the entire uterus, including the cervix, is removed. "Oophorectomy" is used to refer to removal of the ovaries, and may be left, right, or bilateral. There is no"partial hysterectomy." If the upper body of the uterus is removed and the cervix left in place, the term is "subtotal hysterectomy."

Current evidence is that premenopausal women with healthy ovaries should consider keeping the ovaries if they have a hysterectomy to prevent some of the health conditions associated with a premature surgical menopause. Women with a significant risk of developing ovarian or breast cancer may want to discuss removal of the ovaries and hormone replacement therapy.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-11-2010 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 10-11-2010, 01:37 PM

My fibroid was twice as large as both of yours. I wouldn't necessarily rush into it unless they grow a lot or are causing lots of blood loss. I was told they aren't cancerous and will shrink during menopause so you have the option of waiting to make the decision. Mine had to be done abdominally because of its size.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:24 PM

863 posts, read 2,882,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
My fibroid was twice as large as both of yours. I wouldn't necessarily rush into it unless they grow a lot or are causing lots of blood loss. I was told they aren't cancerous and will shrink during menopause so you have the option of waiting to make the decision. Mine had to be done abdominally because of its size.
That's what I understand as well. So can I ask, is that why you had it done abdominally, the size? Was the size the only issue you were having, or did you have pain and bleeding too?

After asking about it, my Dr did say he could do it laproscopically instead of abdominally. Frankly doing a different surgical procedure is not a useful option to me as the value of them seems to be saving the uterus which is not something I need or want to consider.

I can't find many ladies who like me, have largeish fibroids as their ONLY issue. Guess I can start looking forward to menopause!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 PM

I had severe bleeding during my periods and often couldn't go out. My pain at that age wasn't nearly as bad as in my 20's when it was childbirth strong every month. I didn't care for the tightness from having a protruding waistline or the pressing on my internal organs the fibroid caused either.

Being period free was a big plus after the procedure. My incision went from the pubis to around the side of my bellybutton due to its size. I also immediately went on the patch which I stay on for ten years as they recommended taking the ovaries after which time I went thru menopause for a year or two. I was happy with the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness