Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 03:15 AM

5 posts, read 26,093 times

Advertisements

Kathleen, my elder sister called me yesterday to tell me that her daughter had the beginning signs of conjunctivitis. She was almost 2 years old. Kathleen noticed some dry gunk in her daughter’s eye, later it got red, and started watering. She tapped for her during the day and it did improve but didn’t disappear so she asked me for some help. She was very much worried for my niece.
I was talking about this to my friend who is a GP and she told me to use Cromolux, an effective eye drop.
I have been through the net and I had learnt a bit more about Cromolux. But I need to have some feedback also to assure myself that eye drop is a good to cure to conjunctivitis.
Has anyone has had conjunctivitis? What did you use to cure your conjunctivitis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 03:41 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
You need to go to the dr for rx treatment of that, and it is a contagious thing.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:11 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I never had pinkeye until I was an adult, but it can be miserable.
I went to the doc, who prescribed drops or ointment. (They would prescribe over the phone eventually because they knew that as a preschool teacher I knew the signs well.)
I never heard of Cromolux, is it over-the-counter or prescription? I am sure it is probably fine, but I would take the little girl to the doctor.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:51 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Your sister needs to take her daughter to a doctor, specifically, an eye doc. I would be leary about doing a "self diagnosis" over the internet, especially around issues of medication. As the condition you mentioned is highly contagious, I would recommend she get to a physician...

Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
When my kids were young, some of them would occasionally get conjunctivitis, probably from someone at school.

The others are right -- she needs a prescription medication if that's what it is. And your sister needs to know how to prevent spread of it to everyone else in the house. As cinderobyn said, it's very contagious. It's not something to get horrified over, the child just needs to be treated. Her pediatrician can easily make a diagnosis and determine appropriate treatment.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:40 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizon View Post
Kathleen, my elder sister called me yesterday to tell me that her daughter had the beginning signs of conjunctivitis. She was almost 2 years old. Kathleen noticed some dry gunk in her daughter’s eye, later it got red, and started watering. She tapped for her during the day and it did improve but didn’t disappear so she asked me for some help. She was very much worried for my niece.
I was talking about this to my friend who is a GP and she told me to use Cromolux, an effective eye drop.
I have been through the net and I had learnt a bit more about Cromolux. But I need to have some feedback also to assure myself that eye drop is a good to cure to conjunctivitis.
Has anyone has had conjunctivitis? What did you use to cure your conjunctivitis?

The best thing your sister can do is take the child to the doctor, preferably the eye doctor. Just go in as a walk-in or call a pediatric ophthalmologist for a same day appt.

The baby can spread it around to anything she touches and will therefore be spread around to anyone who touches what was touched.

It can be a light viral conjunctivitis or it can be bacterial. You use antibiotic ointment on the bacterial and if it's viral, it just runs its course but with lots of discomfort and irritability. As a baby, she wouldn't know not to touch or scratch. The doc can give her some soothing type drops if it's viral.

If they do put her on steroids, she'll have to be checked almost daily (by the doc) for a few days but it will help with the inflammation.

Take her to the doctor. Don't mess with yours or anybody's eyes.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:52 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
There are other things that have the same symptoms. Only a doctor can tell for sure.

I was mis-diagnosed with conjunctivitis in my early teens and nearly lost the sight in one eye. My eye was red & watery and would get stuck with "gunk" while sleeping.

The medication that was pulled out of the linen closet was for pink eye, but what I had was a herpes virus The same one that causes fever blisters). The medication was making the virus worse.

I would never recommend putting a medication in someone's eye without that medication being prescribed by a doctor who actually looked at the eye.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:14 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I have had it and I have always treated it with prescription drops.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:58 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
The GP to whom you spoke shouldn't even suggest to use a medicine unless he or she has seen the child. Maybe it's not conjuncivitis.

The little girl really needs to be taken to the doctor. Self-treatment for eyes is not a wise thing to do in my opinion.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness