Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,907,079 times

Advertisements

It was not a scam, but why I called it "cattle call". They shuttled people through. The actual procedure lasted minutes, but there was a lot of sitting around and waiting with others, blind mostly (they took your glasses right away as you came in). The day before I had it done, they had announced a $299 special, but I had already signed a contract, so wasn't eligible.

I heard they had complaints, but none from me or anyone else I knew that used them. There is risk, no matter who you use. Some will talk about it not being "as safe", but I don't personally know anyone who had a problem. Most of the "unsafe" talk I've heard is from doctors who charge $2000 per eye and the disgruntled, former employee I spoke with (fired for 'sneaking' a friend through, who did not pay).

I was under the impression that they were out of business, but just googled them and found that wasn't true. They are currently running the $299 special. The consultation was free, so it doesn't hurt to go see them and find out. I saw licensed doctors in nice, pretty, new looking clinics. We're not talking about a wooden slab in a poorly lit room here.

I'm going to PM you with the name of the company. Check it out yourself. If you live in an area where they are, you will save by not paying for the flight and the hotel. Mine came under $1200 total, including my flight and hotel. The $299 offer is bare bones - the "insurance" which includes free adjustments in various increments (6 months, 12 months, lifetime, etc) is extra. I only opted for the 1 year adjustments. I am fine wearing lightweight glasses for TV viewing and driving now 6 years later and not willing to go for an adjustment, despite purchasing the insurance for it.

I made a well-informed choice, based on my wants and needs. You should do the same, no matter who you choose to do this for you. As I had to purchase new glasses every 2 years (frames would wear out, due to the weight of my lenses and constant wear), and they were a minimum of $300 a pop, my surgery has already paid for itself. My NEW glasses (with current scrip) cost me $50 at Walmart, including the lens cleaner and sunglass clip-ons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 02:05 PM

I just went and looked at their website. Although years ago the price was not based on your current prescription level, it is now.

Also, see someone to have an evaluation done, sooner rather than later. Not everyone can have it done. My dh's aunt and cousin have some problem with their corneas - undetected until they went in for their evaluation, their vision is correctable by glasses and contacts, but they cannot have Lasik or the other, older corrective eye surgery.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:33 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,718,620 times
$299? Why is it so cheap? So people who are paying $4K are getting ripped off?

Well if its a preventive surgery under your insurance it may be that cheap for LASIK.

Mine is Cosmetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
It was not a scam, but why I called it "cattle call". They shuttled people through. The actual procedure lasted minutes, but there was a lot of sitting around and waiting with others, blind mostly (they took your glasses right away as you came in). The day before I had it done, they had announced a $299 special, but I had already signed a contract, so wasn't eligible.

I heard they had complaints, but none from me or anyone else I knew that used them. There is risk, no matter who you use. Some will talk about it not being "as safe", but I don't personally know anyone who had a problem. Most of the "unsafe" talk I've heard is from doctors who charge $2000 per eye and the disgruntled, former employee I spoke with (fired for 'sneaking' a friend through, who did not pay).

I was under the impression that they were out of business, but just googled them and found that wasn't true. They are currently running the $299 special. The consultation was free, so it doesn't hurt to go see them and find out. I saw licensed doctors in nice, pretty, new looking clinics. We're not talking about a wooden slab in a poorly lit room here.

I'm going to PM you with the name of the company. Check it out yourself. If you live in an area where they are, you will save by not paying for the flight and the hotel. Mine came under $1200 total, including my flight and hotel. The $299 offer is bare bones - the "insurance" which includes free adjustments in various increments (6 months, 12 months, lifetime, etc) is extra. I only opted for the 1 year adjustments. I am fine wearing lightweight glasses for TV viewing and driving now 6 years later and not willing to go for an adjustment, despite purchasing the insurance for it.

I made a well-informed choice, based on my wants and needs. You should do the same, no matter who you choose to do this for you. As I had to purchase new glasses every 2 years (frames would wear out, due to the weight of my lenses and constant wear), and they were a minimum of $300 a pop, my surgery has already paid for itself. My NEW glasses (with current scrip) cost me $50 at Walmart, including the lens cleaner and sunglass clip-ons.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:26 PM

I believe it was/is that cheap due to volume. Our insurance (at the time, Tricare) did not cover any of it. Now, it's based on prescription, and at my previous scrip level, it would be $1299 per eye, plus the astigmatism.

My MIL had it done in San Diego, by a private doctor, not sure who, for $1800 in January of 2000. 4 months later, we were transferred to Florida and there I couldn't find anyone for less than $3800 per eye! My MIL had offered to pay $2000 toward the cost, but we just couldn't do it.

It's like anything else, I guess. My contacts, with the astigmatism, ran me $150 a pair in 1992 in St Louis. Six months later, living in San Diego, the doctors wanted $325 to replace the ONE I had lost. The special "800" number that still advertises, wanted $200 for the one. I ended up having it shipped from St Louis for $90 for the replacement. Doctors, like everyone else, charge whatever the market will bear.

Why charge $2500 when there are lots of people willing to fork out $4000? Well, for the same reason that Walmart sells a gallon of 2% milk for anywhere between 99 cents and $2.58 and the local grocery stores charge $3.79 to $4.55. Because they CAN.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I believe it was/is that cheap due to volume. Our insurance (at the time, Tricare) did not cover any of it. Now, it's based on prescription, and at my previous scrip level, it would be $1299 per eye, plus the astigmatism.

My MIL had it done in San Diego, by a private doctor, not sure who, for $1800 in January of 2000. 4 months later, we were transferred to Florida and there I couldn't find anyone for less than $3800 per eye! My MIL had offered to pay $2000 toward the cost, but we just couldn't do it.

It's like anything else, I guess. My contacts, with the astigmatism, ran me $150 a pair in 1992 in St Louis. Six months later, living in San Diego, the doctors wanted $325 to replace the ONE I had lost. The special "800" number that still advertises, wanted $200 for the one. I ended up having it shipped from St Louis for $90 for the replacement. Doctors, like everyone else, charge whatever the market will bear.

Why charge $2500 when there are lots of people willing to fork out $4000? Well, for the same reason that Walmart sells a gallon of 2% milk for anywhere between 99 cents and $2.58 and the local grocery stores charge $3.79 to $4.55. Because they CAN.
The convenient stores stores are more expensive because its closer to your home and more fast and convenient.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,502,821 times
Wife and I has lasik done about ten years ago. Our employer decided to cover it. Bascially there was not much to it really. One of the best things we veerr had done in our opinionsget rid of contrcts and glasses besides saving a ton of money over the last ten years.Never even had the halo probelms they warn about.Oh;and know of at elast 50 that has it doen at work witrh one that had to have more xorrection and one that they saved her future site by discovering a real problem in the intial examination. She had surgery and later the Lazik and did fine.Ours was done by a group of eye sergeons.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 AM

955 posts, read 3,638,524 times
My husband recently had it done and Loves the results - he does plan to go back this winter for a small adjustment but he had a wonderful experience! He is 32 and his vision is now almost perfect!

It was not cheap but well worth it from a reputable provider.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:39 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,806,707 times
FANTASTIC!!!!! I love it. I wore glasses for almost 15 years and couldn't stand contacts and tried several times to get used to them, but couldn't.
My wife and I got ours done at the same time. Mine is better than 20/20 and hers, well not so good. She still needs glasses somewhat. I don't except to read. They didn't have the new procedure to let you read without glasses also, when we got ours done. Would do it again no problem

Old 11-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Wife and I has lasik done about ten years ago. Our employer decided to cover it. Bascially there was not much to it really. One of the best things we veerr had done in our opinionsget rid of contrcts and glasses besides saving a ton of money over the last ten years.Never even had the halo probelms they warn about.Oh;and know of at elast 50 that has it doen at work witrh one that had to have more xorrection and one that they saved her future site by discovering a real problem in the intial examination. She had surgery and later the Lazik and did fine.Ours was done by a group of eye sergeons.
There are places that offer the pricing based on your prescription and then there places that offer a fixed price. Mine is on the expensive side but I am getting custom lasik with intralase. So with all discounts, My out the door pricing is about $3,800 but I am going to use FSA card and that will save an extra $1000 on my taxes. Is this a good deal?

I see offers for $299 per eye though.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
My husband recently had it done and Loves the results - he does plan to go back this winter for a small adjustment but he had a wonderful experience! He is 32 and his vision is now almost perfect!

It was not cheap but well worth it from a reputable provider.
What was your out of pocket expenses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness