Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:41 PM

527 posts, read 1,019,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I don't know where they have advertisements for breweries at 9 in the morning. I have also never seen a commercial advertising smoking. Do you live in the US? Even with brewery advertisements there are people who can drink responsibly. Again, I have yet to see a commercial with people binge drinking. Obesity is a sign of binge eating and should not be tolerated in advertisements.

As much as I despise both illegals and deadbeats, they don't cost me nearly as much as the morbidly obese person who refuses to put down the quarter pounder and extra large coke.
What commercials are you speaking of with all of these morbidly obese people?? In a day of tv I would say I see way too many anorexic people on the tube but hey thats just me

Old 11-24-2010, 12:42 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Some people are positively clueless beyond redemption when it comes to understanding the proper limited role of government in a constitutional democratic republic. It's misplaced authority in nanny government like this that provokes my doubts about the prospects of freedom in my country. We are a people with a government, not the other way around. (Or at least so I thought.) How sad.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:44 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Quote:
Obesity is a sign of binge eating and should not be tolerated in advertisements.

Wow. How old are you? Obesity is a sign of many many things but it's not as simply as you have put it. Not by a long shot for a good percentage of obese people.
Now granted there are plenty who it is that simple for, but not for most all morbidly obese people.
Overweight folks, sure.
But still I have no idea what commercials you could possibly be watching as I have NEVER seen a morbidly obese person on TV selling a product that isn't tied with weightloss programs.
So what pray tell are you seeing? Overweight people and calling them obese? That's what it sounds like.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Wow. How old are you? Obesity is a sign of many many things but it's not as simply as you have put it. Not by a long shot for a good percentage of obese people.
Now granted there are plenty who it is that simple for, but not for most all morbidly obese people.
Overweight folks, sure.
But still I have no idea what commercials you could possibly be watching as I have NEVER seen a morbidly obese person on TV selling a product that isn't tied with weightloss programs.
So what pray tell are you seeing? Overweight people and calling them obese? That's what it sounds like.
Tell me about it, I agree, - ridiculous -

Old 11-24-2010, 12:54 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
And when those people jumping get injured? Who do you think pays for it? Get real, any dangerous activity ends up costing all of us as insurance, whether private or governmental, still has to pay. Especially when one of them gets paralyzed.
The extra costs that I pay because of obese people is significantly higher than what I pay for people who decide to jump off bridges for a thrill. The number of people who get paralyzed doing risky activities is nowhere close to the number of people who have to go into the hospital for obesity related illnesses.

That's just common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
Is this really a serious post??? Are you talking about commercials in general? are you just saying you dont want to see overweight people on television? How old are you? have you had any kids yet? Once your metabolism starts going and you just cant excercise off that 20lbs are you going to become suicidal? Sounds pretty shallow and bogus to me. I am kind of "normal" weight I guess you could say, per the "charts" I can stand to loose 15 lbs But I enjoy my food too much so too bad
I have no children and I am in my 30s? Since when did it become accepted that once you pass a certain age you should expect to become grossly overweight? This is exactly what I am talking about. People have a very warped mentality in this country since fat became a trend.

I am glad that you feel comfortable robbing taxpayers because of your selfishness. If you don't want to lose weight for the benefit of overall public health you should want to do it for your own well being.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
The extra costs that I pay because of obese people is significantly higher than what I pay for people who decide to jump off bridges for a thrill. The number of people who get paralyzed doing risky activities is nowhere close to the number of people who have to go into the hospital for obesity related illnesses.

That's just common sense.

I have no children and I am in my 30s? Since when did it become accepted that once you pass a certain age you should expect to become grossly overweight? This is exactly what I am talking about. People have a very warped mentality in this country since fat became a trend.

I am glad that you feel comfortable robbing taxpayers because of your selfishness. If you don't want to lose weight for the benefit of overall public health you should want to do it for your own well being.
Get lost- who the hell are you telling me I am robbing taxpayers - My well being? I am very healthy thank you. eat a cheeseburger or get the stick out of your butt get a life already - uggh some people really have nothing better to do - Honey, I make VERY good money and pay alot of taxes, I can assure you not a dime of your money goes to my being 15-20lbs overweight- For your own well being - get a life (By the way when did fat become a trend? Around here most everyone I know is a size 0 or a 2 if you become a size 4 or 6 thats overweight to some- Again there are more things for you to worry about instead of complaining you have to look at overweight people on tv.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
Get lost- who the hell are you telling me I am robbing taxpayers - My well being? I am very healthy thank you. eat a cheeseburger or get the stick out of your butt get a life already - uggh some people really have nothing better to do - Honey, I make VERY good money and pay alot of taxes, I can assure you not a dime of your money goes to my being 15-20lbs overweight- For your own well being - get a life (By the way when did fat become a trend? Around here most everyone I know is a size 0 or a 2 if you become a size 4 or 6 thats overweight to some- Again there are more things for you to worry about instead of complaining you have to look at overweight people on tv.
Don't come at me talking about how proud you are to be living an unhealthy lifestyle that others will have to subsidize one day and expect me not to react. This thread was about my observations from commercials but yet you turned it into your personal testimony. If you stayed on topic I would have never had to address your clear arrogance.

I couldn't care less how much money you make. We still pay taxes for decisions others make. I guess selfish people can't see that.

If almost everyone you know in this day and age is a size zero or a two and you are walking around 20 pounds overweight, I feel horrible for you.

Being obese in not okay.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Overweight folks, sure.
Like I said earlier both a Safe Auto commercial and an overstock.com commercial.

Please do not use those tired excuses for why people are overweight. The vast majority have health problems because they are large, not the other way around.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:19 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
Quote:
Since there is such an obesity crisis in the country, I am wondering why we are constantly bombarded with images of gross overweight people. Obesity is a public health crisis but yet people act like it's all right. With the FCC being a governmental agency, it surprises me that they allow obese people to parade around in front of us.

You don't see people smoking or drinking heavily in commericials, so why is an unhealthy addiction to food acceptable?

Thoughts?
What specific commercials are you speaking of that bombards us "with images of gross overweight people"?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:23 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
Quote:
I live in Colorado, the skinniest state in the country. Obesity is not celebrated here and I appreciate that.

There was a push not too long ago to stop showing extremely thin people. I have not seen someone who I would call unhealthy (on the thin side) in a commercial in YEARS. And excruciatingly thin people never made up 60 percent of the population.

There was a Safe Auto commercial not too long ago with a morbidly obese woman making a spectacle of herself. This post was sparked by a holiday-oriented Overstock.com advertisement with a morbidly obese man singing along. If this is a public health crisis with 60+ percent of our population, why is this allowed?

Size 14-16 is not a normal size. This is why I have a problem. We're so used to seeing obese people that it has skewed are idea of what's healthy. As long as people see people bigger than themselves, they seem to think that their weight is okay even if they are overweight/obese themselves.

No, but I also don't want to live in a country where I have to indirectly pay for the healthcare costs of others because of their weight.

I'm saying that if the government is going to attack some unhealthy lifestyles, it needs to attack them all. Obesity is not cute, it should not be celebrated, people who are obese should not be comfortable or proud of their size, and obesity should not be acceptable as normal by the American public.
OK, I apologize I missed that earlier post - but still, two commercials does not equal "constantly bombarded".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness