Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times

Advertisements

after seeing some of these "obese people discust me" posts..
being told society is bombarded with images of grosely obese people...
ect...

i find myself wondering...
at what size do YOU consider someone "fat", "obese" and "grosely obese"

im not talking about what the BMI scale says...

im talking you find out your 5'8" friend wears a size 10...whats your reaction to that...is that friend now fat because shes in the double digits, is she "obese" in your eyes? "normal"?

what weight do you consider "normal" (i know this varies with frame and height) but say same friend at 5'8 and a size 10 is 150lbs...is she fat? discusting even?

ive been told multiple times on this forum that all FAT people have a scewed sense of what is a "normal" weight...

but i find myself wondering if some naturally slim people have a scewed sense of what is normal too...

(and by normal i mean a 'healthy" weight)

i KNOW what a 'healthy" weight for my height and frame is...
im working very hard to get to that point for the sake of my health under the direction of a very good dr.

so again...to YOU...what do you think Normal realy is?
pick a size, pick a # in lbs (for an average woman)

this is not realy meant to be a debate thread...im just realy curious to see if theres just as much of a scewed sense of sizing on either side of the spectrum.
and mabe all these "obese" people we are aparently being bombarded with on tv are actually closer to normal HEALTHY sizes than some want to accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 10:25 PM

427 posts, read 550,047 times
On this day of almost Thanksgiving day, I shall be thankful and greatful for any and all shapes and sizes, period! However, after the 25th, all "bets" are off! Stay tuned?
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2010, 10:36 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
after seeing some of these "obese people discust me" posts..
being told society is bombarded with images of grosely obese people...
ect...

i find myself wondering...
at what size do YOU consider someone "fat", "obese" and "grosely obese"

im not talking about what the BMI scale says...

im talking you find out your 5'8" friend wears a size 10...whats your reaction to that...is that friend now fat because shes in the double digits, is she "obese" in your eyes? "normal"?

what weight do you consider "normal" (i know this varies with frame and height) but say same friend at 5'8 and a size 10 is 150lbs...is she fat? discusting even?

ive been told multiple times on this forum that all FAT people have a scewed sense of what is a "normal" weight...

but i find myself wondering if some naturally slim people have a scewed sense of what is normal too...

(and by normal i mean a 'healthy" weight)

i KNOW what a 'healthy" weight for my height and frame is...
im working very hard to get to that point for the sake of my health under the direction of a very good dr.

so again...to YOU...what do you think Normal realy is?
pick a size, pick a # in lbs (for an average woman)

this is not realy meant to be a debate thread...im just realy curious to see if theres just as much of a scewed sense of sizing on either side of the spectrum.
and mabe all these "obese" people we are aparently being bombarded with on tv are actually closer to normal HEALTHY sizes than some want to accept.
We definitely have a skewed sense of what is 'fat' and what is acceptable.

If anyone disagrees think about the size '0'? What's the point? It's like a subliminal message that we not acceptable unless we don't exist?

Not long ago, a skinny teen-aged daughter of a lady I know talked incessently about going on a 1000 cal/day diet since she was 'too fat'. What was irritating is her mom seemed to support the idea.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
We definitely have a skewed sense of what is 'fat' and what is acceptable.

If anyone disagrees think about the size '0'? What's the point? It's like a subliminal message that we not acceptable unless we don't exist?

Not long ago, a skinny teen-aged daughter of a lady I know talked incessently about going on a 1000 cal/day diet since she was 'too fat'. What was irritating is her mom seemed to support the idea.

At size 12-14 you need to pay attention, but you are not necessarily fat. At At size 16 you need to loose weight.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:31 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
I don't think its size; its body-fat percentage. I am pretty satisfied when mine is 18-20%, which is where it lies when I exercise,eat properly, but also take opportunity to enjoy indulgences. I believe 28% is considered the general cutoff between ok and "fat".

I am short so I always figured taller women needed larger sizes not because they were fat but because they were larger than me overall. A 5'8" woman telling me she wore a 12 or 14 would not cause me to bat an eyelash. I'd have to get a good look at her to give you my opinion of her body composition, and even then, under well-tailored clothing, my judgment could be wrong.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:51 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
It also depends on how the weight is distributed. Some people who are big all over proportionately aren't going to look the same, or have the health problems as someone who carries most of their extra weight in their belly for example.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:58 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
At size 12-14 you need to pay attention, but you are not necessarily fat. At At size 16 you need to loose weight.
I have seen a few people who can carry off 16 and not look fat but they were "big, big" people.

Clothing sizes are sooooooo non-standard these days. It's hard to make judgments/statements on that basis. But I think your statement is pretty close to the mark.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-25-2010, 01:37 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Default Please help me with this mystery!

As a male, these women's clothing sizes are a complete mystery (8, 10, 12, 14, 16). I only know the larger the number, the larger the size. Can someone help me by correlating the clothing size with a waist size in pants? I know what 36-inch waist pants are because that's what I wear. Or maybe that correlation won't make any sense? My ex-wife bought her own clothes and made some of them, and I never paid the least attention to the sizes.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:29 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
A better question would be why anyone should care if someone else is overweight.

Whatever happened to accepting people as they are?

Old 11-25-2010, 07:30 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
oh i agree still...

but this thread came about because of this.

i AM obese (i was morbidly obese up untill yesterday) and was told that were being bombarded by "discustingly obese" people on tv all the time in comercials...
now personally i cannot recall seeing anyone id personally consdier even fat in any of the comercials lately, there may have been a bigger guy in one but nothing that stood out as "wow someone like me"

now i was told, because i dont notice "all those discustingly obese" people on tv, i have a scewed sense of what a normal weight is and that i see people as thinnner than they are to make me feel better about my own weight.

then i explained that in my area anyone over a size 0 is often refered to as "fat" (a size zero typically fits a chest/waist/hip measurment of 30-22-32 )

i also explained that for me my normal HEALTHY weight would actually be between 140-155 but on my fram 140 would be too petite and id look sick, so im goaling around 145-150, i explained that at 145, assuming my measurements stay proportionate, id probably end up around a size 8-10 depedning on the brand...

i was then promptly told that at a size 10 i would still be "unhealthy" "fat" and even "discustingly obese"

yet my dr says that 145-150 and a size 10 would be perfect for my height, build and frame it would be considered a HEALTHY weight for my body.

thats what made me wonder if theres a skewed sense on the side of slim people too.
it made me wonder if we are realy living in a world where anything over a 4 is "discusting"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness