Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 01:50 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Op, in addition to what other posters have stated consider increasing your water consumption in the winter as well as humidifying your home. If you do not have a humidifier on your HVAC system you can use the individual room (portable) ones.
Thanks. I actually do have a steam humidifier in my room that I have on every night.

What part of Missouri you in there lifelongMOgal? I'm in the Knob Noster/Whiteman AFB area.

There is a furnace duct right above my bed. Should I close it off when i sleep?

I plan on going to the ENT to see what they think. Today it feels liek i have snot or something from this ordeal going down the back of my throat. It's very uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 02:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
I have a clotting disorder, so I get nosebleeds frequently. It may be a good idea to get tested for hemophilia, von willebrands, etc.

For quick treatment, I usually stick a tampon in my nose (embarrassing, but it works).

Old 11-29-2010, 04:03 PM

I've been advised against sticking things in my nose. I'm usually tempted to stick tissue up there.

My nose started again today. How much is too much? It drips a little faster than a drop a second.

Also is there a good place to pinch to stop the bleeding?

Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Thanks. I actually do have a steam humidifier in my room that I have on every night.

What part of Missouri you in there lifelongMOgal? I'm in the Knob Noster/Whiteman AFB area.

There is a furnace duct right above my bed. Should I close it off when i sleep?

I plan on going to the ENT to see what they think. Today it feels liek i have snot or something from this ordeal going down the back of my throat. It's very uncomfortable.
The ENT is probably a wise decision. If you can yes, move that bed away from the air duct and make certain you are changing your furnace filters routinely to help keep allergens to a minimum.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:47 PM

l I got a date with the ENT to see about getting my nose cauterized. Doc said I was what they call a "bleeder"....meaning nosebleeds are common, some bleed more than others.

However the clot on my nose seems to be coming loose/just flapping around up there, like if I need to blow my nose. Not even sure what I should do...if it's now useless and I should blow it out...or just leave it there...?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 PM

Well, yesterday morning I ended up getting a chemical cauterization on both nostrils. And I was fine for a day...then I decided to try to keep my nasal passages moist with some Vaseline on a q-tip. Well guess what...I'm back to square 1 again. And this was after a few days (4 to be exact) since having my last nosebleed which was mild.

Earlier today I had some minor bleeding, and I tried spaying saline up my nose....to say the least I don't feel it's working as well as I hoped. I think it's evaporating too fast. Up until the docs visit since last Wednesday, i've actually been using Vaseline up my nose. I personally feel/think this has done a better job than the nasal spray.

During the visit, the doc did say I had a dry nose. Doc also says my nose is crooked and thinks the air is hitting the side of my nose and drying it out.

I've also noticed my skin has been scaly and my lips have been chapped lately too. I'm beginning to wonder if my skin is naturally too dry...if that's the main cause for my nose bleeding so much?

Not sure what else to do at this point, or if i even want to go back to the doc.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:50 AM

And yet it happens again...this time I had a bloody tear come out of my right eye, and my right side of my nose was bleeding as bad as the left. My right nostril has never bled this bad before. To top it off I'm also sick with some sort of a cold or fever. Lucky me. And yet I've been shooting up saline and coating my nose with triple antibotic ointment as nikos suggested. Only thing I can think might have trigger it was I did take a cup of Nyquil before bed.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:27 AM

175 posts, read 846,477 times
It sounds like you have nose bleeds that are serious and you need to find a Dr. that will help you. It may be that you have bleeding coming from the area far up in the nassal area. This is a place that is hard to reach that sometimes has too be packed. I am concerned that you are not getting the help needed. The ointment helped me, but you may need more than that. I am not a Dr, but just telling you what worked for me. Here are some sites worth reading:

Nosebleeds: Nose, Sinus, and Taste Disorders: Merck Manual Home Edition

Nose Bleed Precautions

nose bleeds: frequent questions

Old 12-12-2010, 01:13 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
Yea, you really need to go to the ENT. A couple of things this could be. Aberrant vessels, clotting issues, or a probably benign tumor (esp if you have numbness or other symptoms). Then again it could just be nasal dryness, though the increased frequency is bothersome. In the meantime, quit snorting the coke! :O

Old 12-12-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Yea, you really need to go to the ENT. A couple of things this could be. Aberrant vessels, clotting issues, or a probably benign tumor (esp if you have numbness or other symptoms). Then again it could just be nasal dryness, though the increased frequency is bothersome. In the meantime, quit snorting the coke! :O
I hope the coke part was a joke because I do not use drugs.

I don't know what causes it, I use the nasal salines often, coat my nose with topical ointment, run my humidifier every night when I sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness