U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 AM

862 posts, read 3,377,296 times

Advertisements

I started out with a sore throat on Monday. My kids had it last week and recovered fine, so it was nothing strange that I got it this week. It worsened within about two days so I figured it must be strep. I went to the doctor Thursday and they confirmed the diagnosis. Friday morning, I get my script filled and start it.

The problem is that it was still worsening even as I'm waiting for the medicine to take effect. The problem is that I'm unable to get any food down at all now. I was choking on my own saliva and am now just spitting it out. Any drink I get down is basically to swallow my pain pills and the antibiotic. Some of the water is getting shoved up my nasal passage and running down my nostrils. It is a very tiny amount in the first place.

I'm guessing that the amount of swelling in my throat increased since Thursday. Salt water gargling didn't help at all.

My husband is very worried about my food intake. I'm not so worried because I have plenty of fat stores. I've lost 7 pounds since Monday. I am concerned about dehydration though.

So I guess I'm wondering if I should just wait it out a little longer to give the meds a chance to work, or should I call the doctor, urgent care, etc?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 AM

3,430 posts, read 3,974,547 times
I don't think strep throat is supposed to affect your ability to swallow. Sure it hurts like heck to swallow but you should still be able to get food and water down.
The antibiotics should take effet in 24 hrs. However, given your symptoms I would be heading to the ER if I were you.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:52 AM

19,857 posts, read 62,087,041 times
Go to Urgent Care now! let them decide if you need the ER. You may have develop tonsillitis or another complication, the med you are on may not be effective against the particular germ you have, etc.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:42 PM

224 posts, read 650,043 times
rosemary tea

Old 12-04-2010, 09:16 PM

574 posts, read 1,951,154 times
I wouldn't let this go much longer. The antibiotic may not be effective or even worse, you may be having an allergic reaction to it.

Feel better soon!

Nancy

Old 12-04-2010, 10:59 PM

14,028 posts, read 17,794,746 times
Call your doc or go to urgent care. My son has been hospitalized several times for dehydration as a result of strep, it doesn't take very long for dehydration to turn into a real problem.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:14 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,918,204 times
You could have very swollen tonsils from the strep throat, or you could have developed a peritonsillar abscess. Need a medical eval STAT to make sure airways are open, that you don't have a drainable abscess, and to make sure you are hydrated.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 PM

862 posts, read 3,377,296 times
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I did go the ER today and was so happy I did. It turns out that I have mononucleosis (mono) and strep. The doctor suggested that maybe that was why I was so slow to respond to the antibiotic. They gave me some IV fluids and a steroid to reduce the swelling in my throat and tissues. I feel 95% better since my initial post.

I'm still having problems with liquids backing up into my navel passage. I have to go REALLY easy on my water intake (I'm a big water drinker.) or I'll be choking and shooting water out of two orifices at the same time, lol. It's that sensation like when you're in a pool and somehow water just gets everywhere all at once, then you have to go choke it out by the side of the pool. I was able to eat some pureed chicken soup and ice cream (tiny spoonfuls) for my first real meal in days. I plan on taking it extra slow to build up to solid foods. It's so tempting to rush since my throat isn't screaming in pain like before.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,079,103 times
Quote:
m still having problems with liquids backing up into my navel passage.
I assume you meant nasal, LOL...

Can you munch on ice chips, in very small amounts? You could even make orange juice ice cubes and eat those chips if you want flavor. It helps to keep you hydrated by consuming very small amounts.

You poor thing, it sounds really unpleasant. Hope those antibiotics kick in quickly and you get on the road to recovery.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:28 PM

19,857 posts, read 62,087,041 times
Oh, good - you got more treatment and so glad you are feeling better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness