U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:04 AM

201 posts, read 600,082 times

Advertisements

This is the very first time i have ever felt this way... i have a pain/pressure in my head that stops when i am lying down and do not do anything. when i get up and get dressed or am typing at work it gets bad. it gets especially bad if i am bending over. everything seems to rush to my head and i get a little dizzy. i went to the doc over the weekend who diagnosed it as a sinus infection. however, after 3 days of amoxacylin i feel somewhat better, but i would not say by much. the more active i am the worse i feel. the pain jumps from my head to my eye and to my nose and it is only on the left side of my face but has the central spot of my head. sometimes i feel like i have a fever as well, but my temperature has been taken and it is normal. i do live in NY, which adds to the cold season and i am just getting over pink eye and an upper respoitory infection. however, if i squint my eye in a certain way or close my eyes hard i can feel the pain in my head. it is somewhat dizzying to walk as well. the pain has very slowly gotten a little better. i am on advil, which does help temporairly but when i get to work and start typing it all staarts up again. i seem fine as long as i am in bed. is this a sinus infection? Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,606,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBrock77 View Post
This is the very first time i have ever felt this way... i have a pain/pressure in my head that stops when i am lying down and do not do anything. when i get up and get dressed or am typing at work it gets bad. it gets especially bad if i am bending over. everything seems to rush to my head and i get a little dizzy. i went to the doc over the weekend who diagnosed it as a sinus infection. however, after 3 days of amoxacylin i feel somewhat better, but i would not say by much. the more active i am the worse i feel. the pain jumps from my head to my eye and to my nose and it is only on the left side of my face but has the central spot of my head. sometimes i feel like i have a fever as well, but my temperature has been taken and it is normal. i do live in NY, which adds to the cold season and i am just getting over pink eye and an upper respoitory infection. however, if i squint my eye in a certain way or close my eyes hard i can feel the pain in my head. it is somewhat dizzying to walk as well. the pain has very slowly gotten a little better. i am on advil, which does help temporairly but when i get to work and start typing it all staarts up again. i seem fine as long as i am in bed. is this a sinus infection? Thank you.

A sinus infection affects everyone about the same way, symptoms are usually pretty similar. I recently also had a sinus infection and I waited to see the doctor because, I was out of town and also, I work for doctors so I don't rush in as soon as I feel something coming on. I do try to self medicate first.
I will tell you though, the infection got bad enough that I actually had a horrible toothache which is typical with a bad enough infection. My ears also became infected.

Your doc sounds like he correctly diagnosed you. Only three days of being on a basic antibiotic you're not going to have a super recovery just yet. Keep your activities down, drink lots of fluids, use a saline nasal spray to help clear out the infection and take your medication AS prescribed. You will get better but it will take time.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:58 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,978,034 times
The answer from what you relate sounds like a classic text book case of a sinus infection. Rest, take all the Abxs, lots of fluids, Advil for general body aches, but the main one is rest. If you insist on working with it it's going to be uncomfortable but I know we all can't just stay home.

Rest.........

Old 01-01-2011, 05:00 PM

12,643 posts, read 18,950,625 times
You could have a inner ear infection? You should have some relief after 3 days on anti's you should call the dr's office and let them know.
Also try Mucinex which will help drain things even if you have inner ear fluid. Maybe a prescription nasal spray to help loosen things up. Hot wash rags on your face, hot showers, a steamer.
Good Luck

Old 01-01-2011, 07:04 PM

3,757 posts, read 7,914,606 times
A sure sign of a sinus infection for me that were odd clues- Toothache (sinus run along the gumline) and a horrible hacking cough.

Feel better.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:55 PM

29,986 posts, read 39,366,703 times
Get yourself a neti pot (and use it of course)!

Do Neti Pots Really Work?

You can find them in the pharmacy section of most major drug store chains and Wal-Mart.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:10 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,240,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

You can find them in the pharmacy section of most major drug store chains and Wal-Mart.
I was going to suggest the same, they are awesome!

Old 01-01-2011, 08:14 PM

201 posts, read 600,082 times
Since posting i am feeling much better. That was my 1st sinus infection and a scary one. The amoxacylin took about 5 days to really start working. I know it is different from person to person and regarding how bad the infection is. Crazy stuff we go through. Thank you again. Happy new year

Old 01-01-2011, 08:17 PM

6,419 posts, read 20,309,431 times
Did you stop taking the Amoxicillin? It sure sounds like you did...don't stop. If you did stop get back on it right now. You have a serious sinus infection and 3 days of amoxicillin is not enough. Get Mucinex-D and take it, it will help drainage which needs to happen. Drinks lots more water than you normally do; it really will help. Stop bending down for a few days; or don't put your head into a bend first if you can't avoid the movement. I've had some of the worst sinus infections and you really do have to just wait for it to get better; sometimes for me it was at least 10 days before I was pain free.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:15 AM

6,368 posts, read 14,882,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

IMO the squeeze bottle is easier to use and works even better than a neti pot.

NeilMed Pharmaceuticals, Makers of Sinus Rinse, NasaFlo Netipot, Nasal Irrigation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness