Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:38 AM

258 posts, read 1,000,525 times

Advertisements

It seems like bed bugs are so common in hotels now days, its almost impossible to know if a hotel has them... whats the best way to kill bed bugs and for hotels to kill them? I went to Chicago recently and thought there were bed bugs in the place I stayed at but it turned out I was safe. I think something has to be done soon, its already a widespread issue I dont understand why more isnt done to control them. An exterminator costs hundreds of dollars, not to mention the pain and emmotional trauma of dealing with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,038,024 times
Not sure there is much you can do other than ask for another room if you discover bed bugs..

Old 01-03-2011, 07:27 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,204,067 times
I.ve heard that diotemashious earth can get rid of bedbugs, just like it does the fleas on my dogs...

Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,840,888 times
Lots of good advice on this issue in the travel forum.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:23 PM

725 posts, read 3,005,156 times
There is also a bed bug registry that you can check out before your stay:
Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

A friend of mine blatantly asks the front desk if they have ever had a bed bug issue, when it was (if applicable) and what are they doing to prevent it.

Of course you should ask for another room if you have an issue in your first one, however I've heard turning up the temperature (Heat) will help a bit.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:21 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,728,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
There is also a bed bug registry that you can check out before your stay:
Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

A friend of mine blatantly asks the front desk if they have ever had a bed bug issue, when it was (if applicable) and what are they doing to prevent it.

Of course you should ask for another room if you have an issue in your first one, however I've heard turning up the temperature (Heat) will help a bit.
The problem I have with the registry is that a bedbug problem can crop up at any time and a place may be registered clean and then someone will roll thru with the bugs. Also, I can see a place lying about it if you ask--better to do the check yourself.

I went on a RTW trip a few years ago and I did a BB check at every place we stayed. You lift up the bottom sheet and check along the seams of the mattress and see if there are any brown spots, b/c the bugs will suck your blood and then excrete it in their hiding places. Also look under the mattress. I have found signs of them in 2 different places and asked for another room--just because a place has them in one room doesn't mean they'll be in another. Once we had to sleep on the floor but I thought it was worth it. If you want to know what to look for, google image BBs and you'll see pix of the brown spots. Once we went to a place and there was evidence of an old infestation but no new spots and we took a chance on it and we were fine. Do the check first thing when you get a room and put your bags in the tub while you're doing it--if you see sign, get out quick.

Also watch out b/c clothing stores are getting them in--I wash everything I buy right away now, even if it's new.

BBs are really hard to get rid of--the reason you didn't hear about them for so many years is b/c exterminators used to be able to kill them easily but they're adjusted to the insecticides and are pretty much immune. I'm glad to be reminded of diatomaceous earth--if I have problems ever I'll try that first. G-ma said they used to wash everything down with kerosene, but I'm thinking that carpeting would put a stop to that. And grandpa used to smoke.

I've heard that if you pick them up traveling, the best thing to do is to put your bags into a black plastic trash bag and tie it up tight and leave it in the sun. I don't know how well it would work, but the heat is supposed to kill the bugs. If they lay eggs? IDK.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,239 times
When we come home from our travels the first thing we do is put everything on the back porch. I sort my clothing. I have a dryer that has a shelf that can be put inside (came with the dryer) and I put each pile (folded clothes works better) on that shelf and turn dryer on HIGH. After that I wash and dry accordingly without the shelf. We also put things in the freezer for a week or bigger things we put in black bags and sit in the sun for 2 days. The shelf in my dryer is big enough that I put duffel bags, computer bags, books and smaller things on that shelf and dry on the highest level. Just because you think you escaped the hotel from getting bed bugs, I would still do everything to be safe because you can pick them up from your luggage being with other luggage on the plane. You can get stowaways from anywhere, hospitals, movie theaters, libraries and just about anywhere.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 AM

20,058 posts, read 18,229,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Linnemann View Post
When we come home from our travels the first thing we do is put everything on the back porch. I sort my clothing. I have a dryer that has a shelf that can be put inside (came with the dryer) and I put each pile (folded clothes works better) on that shelf and turn dryer on HIGH. After that I wash and dry accordingly without the shelf. We also put things in the freezer for a week or bigger things we put in black bags and sit in the sun for 2 days. The shelf in my dryer is big enough that I put duffel bags, computer bags, books and smaller things on that shelf and dry on the highest level. Just because you think you escaped the hotel from getting bed bugs, I would still do everything to be safe because you can pick them up from your luggage being with other luggage on the plane. You can get stowaways from anywhere, hospitals, movie theaters, libraries and just about anywhere.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,022,786 times
I'm not sure about the "setting them in the sun" thing. Bed bugs are very tough and although you can kill them with heat. It takes about 130 - 160 degrees and I am not sure you could reach that temp just with sunlight (unless you live in Phoenix or some other really hot place).

Hotels do have many resources to try to prevent or stop bed bug infestation. They have coverings that they can put on mattresses and box springs that keep the bugs in until they die. Also, steam treatments will get rid of them and there are still some good pesticides on the market that will do the trick.

I was at the local farm store a few days ago and they had bed bug spray in gallon and 5-gallon containers for sale!

Nevertheless it is good to take all these precautions. Once you get them in your house it would be very difficult to have to deal with eradicating them.

I worked in a major resort hotel in Branson for a time and there were issues there. What annoyed me the most is that they did NOT take the necessary steps to ensure that the problem did not spread. They were reprehensible for that, IMHO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-16-2011, 01:38 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,728,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Hotels do have many resources to try to prevent or stop bed bug infestation. They have coverings that they can put on mattresses and box springs that keep the bugs in until they die. Also, steam treatments will get rid of them and there are still some good pesticides on the market that will do the trick.
I believe that but I also know the little buggers can hide in cracks in walls and behind the headboard and inside the electrical outlets. How do they deal with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness