U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,813,257 times

Advertisements

Looked at the website, it doesn't say when it was first introduced. I don't think it was available when I had my surgery done. (my first op was around 1997 and my other one was 2003)....

If only..... I just hate having to look around for my reading glasses and complain that cell phone screens are too small.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM

10,452 posts, read 11,617,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Looked at the website, it doesn't say when it was first introduced. I don't think it was available when I had my surgery done. (my first op was around 1997 and my other one was 2003)....

If only..... I just hate having to look around for my reading glasses and complain that cell phone screens are too small.....
Oh sorry, I didn't realize you had your first surgery in 1997. I don't know about 2003, but I do know they had Crystalens around 2004/2005 because I shadowed an eye doctor who preformed those surgeries then. He was getting a lot of publicity for it, though, so I think it was still brand new. In that case, they should have at least told you that you would only be corrected for distance or near vision!

I agree, reading glasses can be a pain. I had them from age 12 until I went blind. Total pain in the neck, especially at school!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 AM

419 posts, read 821,654 times
SouthernBelle, that is encouraging to hear about the ease of cataract surgery. Thank you for sharing your experience! I don't need the surgery yet, but the way my eyes are, who knows what the future holds.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:03 AM

13,251 posts, read 40,313,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
As Southernbelle says, they give you stuff that deadens the eye.

They gave me some type of drug that affected my short term memory. I remember *nothing* of the operation.. In fact I remember almost nothing of the entire day(s).....

~smile~ I am like you Anon, I am close to paranoid about anything close to my eyes.

I will say I can now play catch with my grandkids and have my depth perception back.
If by "deadens the eye" you mean "makes you blind and unable to see that there's something coming toward your iris" then sure, that'd work.

But if you mean "makes your eye incapable of moving even when something is coming toward your iris" it wouldn't matter. My HEAD would still jerk around, trying to avoid that thing coming toward the iris. As I said. It's a reflex. I have no control over it. It's why the doctor took over an hour to do a normal bi-annual eye test on me. It took me that long to -not- jerk my head, while it was perched in a device that vaguely resemebles a vice grip.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If by "deadens the eye" you mean "makes you blind and unable to see that there's something coming toward your iris" then sure, that'd work.

But if you mean "makes your eye incapable of moving even when something is coming toward your iris" it wouldn't matter. My HEAD would still jerk around, trying to avoid that thing coming toward the iris. As I said. It's a reflex. I have no control over it. It's why the doctor took over an hour to do a normal bi-annual eye test on me. It took me that long to -not- jerk my head, while it was perched in a device that vaguely resemebles a vice grip.
I sympathize with you but if you have cataracts you have only two choices, have the surgery or go blind.... It's that simple.

Why didn't your doctor give you or at least suggest some type of tranquilizer?

Old 01-12-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

If it makes you blind then you'll have nothing to react to and your head won't jerk. Trust me, I've run into my share of cabinet doors and poles with no head jerk whatsoever! I've never heard of them temporarily blinding you during cataract surgery, but even if they only sedate you, sedation can deaden your reflexes too. And if it doesn't, they'll hold your head if they have to. Eye doctors get a lot of patients with that strong reflex and generally know how to deal with it. I used to have really strong reflexes when I got eye drops or the glaucoma test too and they always had to get my dad and a nurse to help pin me down cause I was shaking so badly.

All that said, it's a relatively minor surgery and is done all the time--especially now with the newer technologies. I know people who had it when they had to cut your eyeball and stitch it back up. Now they do the whole thing through a needle and use ultrasound to break up the cataract and suck it up through the needle. Then they "fold" the IOL into the needle and "unfold" it into place. There are a lot of Google books that explain the procedure in detail.
Phacoemulsification: Principles and Techniques
It's definitely worth checking out, especially if it's a procedure you might need to have done someday.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,088,059 times
OK, NO... you are not blind and you can see...HOWEVER, the work from the side out of your area of vision so you do not see anything coming at your eye. What you DO see is the fluid the flush across the eye to keep it moist... you see it and it makes the light SO pretty.. I was disappointed in my second surgery because I didn't remember much of it, I think they had me more sedated. I was looking forwards to seeing those beautiful lights again!

I did chew them out for using the selling point "and you'll never have to wear glasses again!".. When what I actually did was replaced 1 pair of glasses for 3 pair.. reading, computer and sunglasses..... until I got my new glasses... My doctor made me wait for 3 months before getting my new glasses and I am glad she did because my vision DID change after the surgery..

When I got my new glasses she did warn me that I MAY, at some point, notice my vision is getting cloudy again and think the cataracts are coming back, she said that could happen for up to 5 years... Sometimes, a film does grow over your eye after cataract surgery and guess what.... 18 month later, it did grow on my left eye.. It is a simple, in office procedure to get rid of that with a laser light, sort of like a glaucoma test type thing, no pain and results are INSTANT! When I went back for my 2 week recheck after having that one done, I laughed and told him "You didn't mention there is also one on my right eye too! With that one gone, I can now tell there is one on on the other eye." He laughed and said it isn't bad enough to remove yet and I am to go back in 6 months to see if it is ready to remove. There is nothing to having that done either.

My problem was in them making me wait so long before they would remove my cataracts. I had complained and complained that I couldn't see, couldn't read road signs and it always fell on deaf ears.. Until I made an appointment shortly after having just been there and when they asked why I needed to come back in, I told them "SOMETHING is WRONG and I am coming in and NOT leaving there until we figure out what it is and how to fix this..!! This is going to get me killed in the traveling I have to do for my job!".. I was scheduled for surgery the next week!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:39 PM

19,858 posts, read 61,709,771 times
I had my one-week follow-up today and now my vision in that eye is 20/20! I scheduled my other eye for 2 weeks from now.

I asked about reflexes and he said they take care of that with the sedation.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:49 PM

That's great! I'm excited for you Southern Belle.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:13 PM

Happy to hear it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness