Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:55 PM

43 posts, read 76,798 times

Advertisements

I needed a tonsillectomy for a while, but everything that I heard about it caused me to delay the procedure. When I announced to my colleagues that I was going for it, you would have thought I said I was donating a lung.

I did research online and saw more of the same: "Worst pain ever.", "Toughest 3 weeks of my life". I wondered if it could really be that bad.

Obviously each person is different, but I don't know where any of that came from now. I had mine out on Monday, and by Saturday, I am completely pain-free, off pain medication and feeling great. If anyone is interested, I'm happy to explain what I did so that others may experience the same result.

There is still some minor swelling, but the difference with them gone is night and day. I can breath again and sleep better already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 06:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I had my tonsils removed in my early 20s. I followed the doctor's advice, drank lots of water. It hurt for the first few days, but then got better and better.

I took two days off work for it - the day of and the day after. When I got back to work, the company's vice president walked past my desk and stopped, expressing surprise and asked how I was. He mentioned that his son was out of school for two weeks after his tonsillectomy. I pointed out that I'd only been at the job for 6 weeks and didn't have any sick time saved up. He laughed and at the end of the day, I got called into HR and was told that he had authorized me for two additional paid days off.

Ahhh... what a great company that was!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:00 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,102 times
I and my Brother had ours out when we wer Six... Had sore throats for over a week... No amount of ice cream or Jello help that one LOL

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 01-17-2011, 11:14 AM

40 posts, read 113,165 times
I'm 25 and I'll be having a tonsillectomy and adenoid removal on February 1st. I'm also a bit worried about the procedure because of research I did.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:36 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,496 times
obviously the experience varies widely from person to person, but the reason it is usually worse in older people is because the tonsils become larger, and very scarred, which means there is more trauma involved in their removal, and post-op bleeding and/or infection is more likely.

that said, its nothing to be unduly worried about - as far as operations go, its still relatively minor, and, with a good surgeon, and modern painkillers, anyone should be able to manage.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 PM

40 posts, read 113,165 times
I had my surgery yesterday and I've been doing ok pain wise. This morning I didn't feel too good.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 AM

1 posts, read 16,194 times
I am absolutely baffled I am on day 4 following tonsilectomy, previous days have not been easy at all, had very little sleep last night due to my 4 year old seeking comfort in my bed after few nights apart so I expected extra pain today and I barely feel any pain just discomfort of feeling something at the back of my throat, and only slight pain with movements, I have had a cough since theatre too which has been scary but hasn't hurt now I think its trying to dislodge some of the yuk off tonsil area, I don't know whether to be happy or concerned with this though as I have not read any pain free stories, only horror stories really, is this the calm before the storm or just recovery?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 8,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkessack View Post
I needed a tonsillectomy for a while, but everything that I heard about it caused me to delay the procedure. When I announced to my colleagues that I was going for it, you would have thought I said I was donating a lung.

I did research online and saw more of the same: "Worst pain ever.", "Toughest 3 weeks of my life". I wondered if it could really be that bad.

Obviously each person is different, but I don't know where any of that came from now. I had mine out on Monday, and by Saturday, I am completely pain-free, off pain medication and feeling great. If anyone is interested, I'm happy to explain what I did so that others may experience the same result.

There is still some minor swelling, but the difference with them gone is night and day. I can breath again and sleep better already.
WHAT DID YOU DO TO RECOVER SO FAST?

Old 11-16-2015, 01:08 PM

347 posts, read 425,268 times
Best procedure I ever had! My tonsils grossed out my ENT. He said they squished like a sponge when he cut them. The pain wasn't what bothered me, it was the disgusting, smelly white scabs that came off while I was eating. I gagged for two weeks.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:18 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Everyone's body is different as is the reason to have them removed. You're so lucky to find a doctor to do the surgery! I had problems with my tonsils for years and no one will touch them. Mine are huge and rest on a major artery. The risk of surgery for me is too great.....bleeding to death or tonsillitis every few months? Tough choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness