Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM
 
3,497 posts, read 6,444,657 times
Reputation: 1429

Advertisements

Is it true that all US doctors can be aware of a person's prescriptions from other doctors? There is a big database for this?

For example, if I got a prescription from a doctor and he only wants me to use a certain amount, and then I went to a second doctor and tried to get more - he would be aware of the first rx, is that right?

I believe this is true, but how long has this been used?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2011, 02:05 PM
 
48,505 posts, read 96,514,062 times
Reputation: 18301
That is what they call doctor shoping and is illegal when doing so for drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,855 posts, read 65,599,381 times
Reputation: 19374
Every state that I know of has a database and any doctor can ask for a check on a patient.

And if they have the slightest question about your use of narcotics, they will call and get the report. The database is organized by patient name, so it is easy to find you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 PM
 
5,546 posts, read 9,966,813 times
Reputation: 2799
Yes, and often they do verify controlled substance Rx's (if that is what you are taking). I've gone to two different pharmacies for one drug and the other one knew it had been refilled at the other one and the two pharmacies were not even related. Granted, not a controlled substance, but just sayin' - even worse if it's a controlled substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,550 posts, read 11,657,568 times
Reputation: 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Every state that I know of has a database and any doctor can ask for a check on a patient.

And if they have the slightest question about your use of narcotics, they will call and get the report. The database is organized by patient name, so it is easy to find you!
At this time NH is one of the few that does not. If you are using a third party for payment though that will pick up multiple RX's and flag them that is why working in the pharmacy we get very suspicious of a person coming in with a controlled drug and telling us not to bill it to there insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,549 posts, read 30,284,046 times
Reputation: 88950
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Is it true that all US doctors can be aware of a person's prescriptions from other doctors? There is a big database for this?

For example, if I got a prescription from a doctor and he only wants me to use a certain amount, and then I went to a second doctor and tried to get more - he would be aware of the first rx, is that right?

I believe this is true, but how long has this been used?
I'm not sure how accurate it would be. I have a doctor in TN and in FL. I am truthful when I fill out my paperwork so I write in my primary physician. My primary physician knows every Doctor I go to and every specialist I or my husband sees. But like I said...my primary Doctor is on my paperwork.

Now, if I wasn't honest I they might not know. I only carry major medical so I don't use insurance for my Doctor visits. I also never give out my SS# to any Doctor or Dentist. I imagine any info that is on any data base is what we give to our Doctors. I hate giving personal info. Too many places want too much info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,550 posts, read 11,657,568 times
Reputation: 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I'm not sure how accurate it would be. I have a doctor in TN and in FL. I am truthful when I fill out my paperwork so I write in my primary physician. My primary physician knows every Doctor I go to and every specialist I or my husband sees. But like I said...my primary Doctor is on my paperwork.

Now, if I wasn't honest I they might not know. I only carry major medical so I don't use insurance for my Doctor visits. I also never give out my SS# to any Doctor or Dentist. I imagine any info that is on any data base is what we give to our Doctors. I hate giving personal info. Too many places want too much info.
What kind of RX's are you filling in FL and TN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,549 posts, read 30,284,046 times
Reputation: 88950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
What kind of RX's are you filling in FL and TN?

Nothing exciting, lol. Thyroid, bc, and occasional sleeping pills. The sleeping pills are monitored.(they know because I use the same pharmacy)

Last edited by ylisa7; 01-21-2011 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,549 posts, read 30,284,046 times
Reputation: 88950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
At this time NH is one of the few that does not. If you are using a third party for payment though that will pick up multiple RX's and flag them that is why working in the pharmacy we get very suspicious of a person coming in with a controlled drug and telling us not to bill it to there insurance
Yeah, it would be very suspicious if a person didn't use their insurance when they have insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top