Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 04:14 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,919,453 times

Advertisements

Anyone else here get off the nasty cigarettes and discover the world of vaping (e-cigarettes)?

Ive been smoke-free for over 4 months and am ecstatic! I can breathe better, taste better, no more coughing fits, and am saving money by "smoking" e-cigs.

Any fellow C-D'ers also vape as a hobby or just to quit smoking entirely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 06:57 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,960,818 times
It has been a year and a half for me since I dropped the analogs for the digital. I save even more money by making my own coils and juice. Every once in a while I might treat myself to some premade stuff but for the most part it's all stuff I mix myself. Costs me $15ish for 500ml of PG once a year, $3.88 for a 6 ounce bottle of VG from Walmart once every 3 months, $20 for 4 ounces of 100mg/ml nicotine less than once a year, and flavoring as needed, usually about $20 every 4 or 5 months. I will say this if you get into dripping, you will go through a ton of juice real quick. Normally I use a tank, go through about 3ml of juice a day, give or take a ml, if I drip, I can easily go through 8 or 10 ml in a day. PM me if you want a link to a few sites where I get my supplies and the one I use for measuring everything.

Coils can be tricky to make, and if you aren't careful you can blow out your battery. Definitely do your research before undertaking coil building. It's simple once you get the hang of it, but like I said you can blow out a battery real easy if you don't watch. It can be worth it in the long run, wicks are changed out more than anything, I build a coil, it stays in the tank or the dripper for weeks at a time, the wicks get changed out once a week. I think its $5 or so for a 100 foot roll of kanthal.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:11 AM

6,889 posts, read 22,449,317 times
I am 6 days away from being cigarette free for 5 years. Only reason I could do that was because of a flavored ecig. I mix my own juice also and vape for mere pennies per day! I haven't ventured into building coils. The replacement heads I buy for my carto last for weeks, if not months!

Old 08-28-2015, 03:12 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,943,749 times
2 Thumbs up! If you find the right flavor, it works!!!

Old 08-28-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I am 6 days away from being cigarette free for 5 years. Only reason I could do that was because of a flavored ecig. I mix my own juice also and vape for mere pennies per day! I haven't ventured into building coils. The replacement heads I buy for my carto last for weeks, if not months!
I used to just get the replaceable coils for my Nautilus Clearo, and before that my Aerotank Mini. Those were lasting 1 to 2 weeks before they started tasting bad and clogging pretty good. I use a heavier VG mix in my juice than most, and VG clogs them up faster. My wife had a nice tank though, was an Eleaf GS Air, that thing only needed coils once a month. Sadly the glass cracked on it so it has to be replaced and until then she is using my old Nautilus. I switch back and forth between my Fogger v4.1 tank and my Freakshow clone dripper, both of which were given to me by a friend who had too many things. He could never get the Fogger to fire evenly, so he sent it to me to watch me suffer. First build fired up perfectly, should have seen the look on his face.

I've been making the juice since probably week 2 of vaping, looked it up, figured it was easy, never looked back. Every once in a while I'll buy a flavor I can't get in just flavoring in premade form, but for the most part I just make my own.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:01 PM

6,713 posts, read 4,371,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eras View Post
You're welcome! Thanks, I was worried for you guys. I can breathe a sigh of relief now.
You'd be surprised how much better you can breathe, once you stop smoking altogether. Lungs are there for oxygen, not junk.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:23 PM

6,889 posts, read 22,449,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
You'd be surprised how much better you can breathe, once you stop smoking altogether. Lungs are there for oxygen, not junk.
Imagine you are trapped in a fire; quickly taking smoke into your lungs, coughing, gasping for air. Smoking cigarettes will have the same effect on you as that fire will, only it will take years to realize it. Stop now. Don't let Big Tobacco steal your life and your money!

Old 09-01-2015, 04:02 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,919,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post

Coils can be tricky to make, and if you aren't careful you can blow out your battery. Definitely do your research before undertaking coil building. It's simple once you get the hang of it, but like I said you can blow out a battery real easy if you don't watch. It can be worth it in the long run, wicks are changed out more than anything, I build a coil, it stays in the tank or the dripper for weeks at a time, the wicks get changed out once a week. I think its $5 or so for a 100 foot roll of kanthal.
Just get an ohm reader, screw on your atty and get a reading. Then use the ohms law calculator to see if youre within good parameters (as to what your battery can handle). I like to use hybrid mechanicals, so you also have to worry about the negative 510 threads not touching the battery positive (so all you need is a positive pin on your atty that protrudes past the negative 510 threads), but thats a story for another day.

Oh, and go join CASAA and become a member. Be sure to support the HR 2058 proposed bill that will grandfather in all existing vape devices, before the crooked, vile FDA shuts down 95% of the vape industry. Do your part!!!! Google the bill and help out!

Old 09-06-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Just get an ohm reader, screw on your atty and get a reading. Then use the ohms law calculator to see if youre within good parameters (as to what your battery can handle). I like to use hybrid mechanicals, so you also have to worry about the negative 510 threads not touching the battery positive (so all you need is a positive pin on your atty that protrudes past the negative 510 threads), but thats a story for another day.

Oh, and go join CASAA and become a member. Be sure to support the HR 2058 proposed bill that will grandfather in all existing vape devices, before the crooked, vile FDA shuts down 95% of the vape industry. Do your part!!!! Google the bill and help out!
I've been making my own coils for 6 or 7 months now, I use a site that gives you a general idea of how many wraps of what gauge of whatever type wire to make whatever ohms you want. Ohms reader is on my list of, "I need this," vaping supplies, but I also have an iStick 50watt that tells me a general idea of ohms on it and is good down to .2 ohms so not as needed. Before that I had a CF Sub Ohm battery and it was good down to .3 ohm, and to be perfectly honest sub ohming isn't really my thing, my Fogger has a .9 ohm dual coil and my Freakshow clone has a 1.2 ohm.

As for CASAA, I already am a member and have did a few things with them. It is annoying that everyone whines and complains about cigarettes and then when we find our alternative they complain about those too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness