Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times

Advertisements

I'd go with the donuts. I'd rather smell like a donut than a cigarette. I like white teeth, so again, I'm gonna have to go with the donuts. I hang around non-smokers, so in the interest of not giving off offensive odors or polluting their airspace, I'm going with the donuts. In your hypothetical, I guess I'd rather go out fat and happy than cancerous and writihing in pain. In real life, I'm a gym rat and incredibly vain, so I wouldn't do either of these things to my body.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:39 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Because ONE cigarette IS just as bad as a pack.
I didn't know that. I thought more of a bad thing was worse than less of a bad thing.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
All other things being equal, which makes your life unhealthier?

If you smoked three cigarettes a day vs eating three donuts (1000 calories total) a day?

Eating an extra 1000 calories a day will cause you to put on weight quite rapidly (remember all things being equal - no extra exercising to burn off the extra calories).

Will three cigarettes significantly increase your risk of lung cancer or emphysema?

My vote goes to a donut is more unhealthy.
Sorry to say but your question has only one answer as it is written. NEITHER!

Now if you were to replace chemical laden cigarettes with a pipe & pipe tobacco that would be a whole other animal. The pipe tobacco is pure sweetened tobacco with none of the chemicals in cigarettes plus you never inhale pipe tobacco smoke.

That said, never compare pipe tobacco smoke with a cigarette smoke as they are NOT the same!!!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
I didn't know that. I thought more of a bad thing was worse than less of a bad thing.
Yes, as I said, even second hand smoke is really bad. It DOES effect those around them.

Here:

Smoking just one to four cigarettes a day almost triples a smoker's risk of heart disease and lung cancer, reveals a large study in Tobacco Control.

The impact is stronger for women, the study shows, and quashes the cherished notion that "light" smokers escape the serious health problems faced by heavier smokers.

Compared with those who had never smoked, those who smoked between 1 and 5 cigarettes a day were almost three times as likely to die of coronary artery disease.

Light smokers also had significantly higher death rates from all causes - 1.5 times - than those who had never smoked, with the death rates corresponding to the number of cigarettes smoked every day.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:55 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I'd go with the donuts. I'd rather smell like a donut than a cigarette. I like white teeth, so again, I'm gonna have to go with the donuts. I hang around non-smokers, so in the interest of not giving off offensive odors or polluting their airspace, I'm going with the donuts. In your hypothetical, I guess I'd rather go out fat and happy than cancerous and writihing in pain. In real life, I'm a gym rat and incredibly vain, so I wouldn't do either of these things to my body.
Same here. I've seen a relative die of lung cancer. He had ONLY smoked when he was much younger and in the service. He had stopped before he was 30 years old. Didn't matter. That few years of smoking increased his risk of lung cancer DRASTICALLY! His wife, who did not smoke now suffers from emphysema.

Give me a donut any day over a nasty cigarette.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

So, your writing that smoking a cigarette has EXACTLY THE SAME health consequences as eating a donut?

Hmm, what a coincidence. I'd think one or the other would be more unhealthy.

Exactly the same, that's interesting.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, as I said, even second hand smoke is really bad. It DOES effect those around them.

Here:

Smoking just one to four cigarettes a day almost triples a smoker's risk of heart disease and lung cancer, reveals a large study in Tobacco Control.

The impact is stronger for women, the study shows, and quashes the cherished notion that "light" smokers escape the serious health problems faced by heavier smokers.

Compared with those who had never smoked, those who smoked between 1 and 5 cigarettes a day were almost three times as likely to die of coronary artery disease.

Light smokers also had significantly higher death rates from all causes - 1.5 times - than those who had never smoked, with the death rates corresponding to the number of cigarettes smoked every day.
has nothing to do with

Quote:

ONE cigarette IS just as bad as a pack.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

Now if you were to replace chemical laden cigarettes with a pipe & pipe tobacco that would be a whole other animal. The pipe tobacco is pure sweetened tobacco with none of the chemicals in cigarettes plus you never inhale pipe tobacco smoke.

That said, never compare pipe tobacco smoke with a cigarette smoke as they are NOT the same!!!
Very true.

Cigarette smoke just smells like smoke but pipe tobacco smoke smells like a bag of burning crap.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Same here. I've seen a relative die of lung cancer. He had ONLY smoked when he was much younger and in the service. He had stopped before he was 30 years old. Didn't matter. That few years of smoking increased his risk of lung cancer DRASTICALLY! His wife, who did not smoke now suffers from emphysema.

While unfortunate, it is exactly one data point. It still doesn't mean one cigarette is less unhealthy than one donut.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:30 PM

42 posts, read 137,696 times
I eat a donut 3-4 days a week, and I've got a six pack. For 99.999% of the human population without a thyroid condition, it's calories in vs. calories out. Donuts truly can be part of a well-balanced lifestyle in my opinion.

But if the experiment is 1000Kcals overs your personalized maintenance threshold, that's an interesting question.

I personally would choose to be a smoker and suffer the consequences. Life sucks when you're fat. You feel gross (not just aesthetic insecurity reasons. I felt horrible physically carrying around extra weight), you're sexually unappealing, and your overall quality of life is significantly lessened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness