U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 08:36 AM

201 posts, read 623,200 times

Advertisements

I recently got my blood test results back from the doctor and my A/G level was high at 2.0 with the normal range being between 1.1 - 1.8 After doing the little research I did i have seen that this has to do with liver and kidney functions. I am very concerned of the high number as kidney disease runs in my family, going back to my great grandparents and I do not know if this is an early warning sign.

I did not drink any water during my 13 hour fasting and was told that this dehydration can make the results have higher numbers. I also know that your measure of ALT and AST are calculated as well within the A/G result. Mine were the following:

ALT 29 (1-44 normal range)
AST 27 (14-39 normal range)

Can someone shed any light on this? Should I have drank water and that may be the issue or am I completely jumping the gun? Everything else in my blood work was within normal range. If you have questions please let me know. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 11:14 AM

3,630 posts, read 13,959,097 times
Ask the doctor - sometimes you just get a screwy test result - simple things like issues with sampling technique or test technique - that is right on the border too so I would not be freaking out.

I think you are jumping the gun and freaking out.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:53 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,278,731 times
I agree with grannynanny. The numbers are almost completely meaningless without an interpretation from a competent physician who is familiar with your medical history, your current medical problems, your lifestyle, and other factors. If your doctor did not express a concern about a particular lab result, it's probably not an issue. Of course, it would not hurt to ask your doctor about the result, especially if it gives you peace of mind.

Last edited by ToucheGA; 01-26-2011 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: edited to better respond to the OP's post.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:00 AM

After looking at my labs closer I realized that (obvious to me now) that your A/g Ratio is comprised of your Albominun (Spelling error) and your Golbumin (Spelling error) both of those were within completely normal limits, so I am confunsed as to why the A/G ratio would then be high. I have called my physican 2 times yesterday and have not heard back.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 AM

34,495 posts, read 36,615,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBrock77 View Post
After looking at my labs closer I realized that (obvious to me now) that your A/g Ratio is comprised of your Albominun (Spelling error) and your Golbumin (Spelling error) both of those were within completely normal limits, so I am confunsed as to why the A/G ratio would then be high. I have called my physican 2 times yesterday and have not heard back.
See here:

Total Serum Protein

The A/G ratio is not a measurement; it is calculated from the measured amounts of albumin and globulin. A normal ratio is a little higher than 1.0, because normally there is a little more albumin than globulin. As the ratio goes up, it can mean you are making less globulin, and that might require some additional testing, which could mean a closer look at the types of protein in the blood with a test called a protein electrophoresis. An increase the A/G ratio sometimes comes even before the globulins fall out of range.

Since the A/G ratio elevation is just over the limits of normal, another alternative would be to wait a while and repeat it. Some labs even use a higher upper limit of normal.

See here:

Globulin Levels

This quotes 2.2 as upper limit of normal.

I suspect that the 2.0 is not something to be concerned about unless you have symptoms that prompted your doctor to order the test. If you are healthy and the test was for screening, it just needs to be followed.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:13 AM

Thank you for your help. I guess I tend to worry because about 50 things were ran in the blood test and the only thing coming back high was the A/G, and since kidney disease runs in my family I am always concerned about it. Their range was 1.1 - 1.8 and mine was 2.0

I didnt have any symptoms, my doc wanted to test my sediments (mine was 5, normal range 1-10) and asked for the rest as a normal screening procedure. However, when the only thing that came back high was the A/G Ratio I researched right away and read about the kidney stuff, which really scared me. Again, thank you for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness