Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:33 AM

788 posts, read 4,067,619 times

Advertisements

is it safe? My husband sprayed it, against my wishes, to kill a spider that looked a lot like the blackwidow living on our porch. Turns out, it wasn't a blackwidow. The spider had hidden under the fridge, where my husband spayed copious amounts. I am hiding upstairs now from the fumes. Do you think the items in the fridge are safe to consume now? The bug spray says it is safe everywhere indoors, but not in food (of course). What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:41 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
The fridge is a closed environment. Under the fridge is the same as outdoors as far as the food is concerned. Now if he were to have chased the spider into the crisper, that would be a different story.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
The fridge is a closed environment. Under the fridge is the same as outdoors as far as the food is concerned. Now if he were to have chased the spider into the crisper, that would be a different story.
Okay, but I stupidly opened the frdige door real quick after his first little spray to put some cheese in there. Are we still okay?

Thanks for not scaring me.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:08 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Okay, but I stupidly opened the frdige door real quick after his first little spray to put some cheese in there. Are we still okay?

Thanks for not scaring me.
Yeah, you are in no danger. The vapors would be minimal and unlikely to settle in sufficient quantities on anything to make a difference unless you are hyper sensitive to chemicals. And if you were, it is unlikely you would be able to open the door once the bug spray was unleashed in your vicinity.

If you are still concerned, rinse your food before eating it and dispose of any open liquids that may have come in contact with the vapor. I think that is a bit overly cautious, but if it makes you feel better that is all that really counts.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:07 PM

Thanks Johnrex! I am feeling better about it. I have the exhaust fan on and the ceiling fan, plus the front door is open. It seems to be clearing out of there. Plus, I ate some leftover spaghetti out of the fridge after your first comment, and I am not dead or sick yet

Old 07-19-2007, 02:30 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,369,491 times
Colder temperatures kill off bacteria. You need a warm soggy environment to promote growth. You, and your cheese, are safe !!!! (please don't open your fridge again till the fumes die down tho)

Poor spiders My older brother did that to scare off a spider that crawled under our fridge as well, - and whatever it was that he sprayed in, brought an entire "emergnecy caravan" of insects evacuating the premises. lol. we were quite trampled at first. - better out than in though!

Old 07-19-2007, 02:36 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,577 times
Quote:
Plus, I ate some leftover spaghetti out of the fridge after your first comment, and I am not dead or sick yet

Well that's good to hear.

Personally, I don't care to use chemical laden products.
But if you need to, definitely ventilate the area.

I think a big shoe would come in handy for a black widow...
I usually take spiders outside by hand...however, you would never
catch me trying to pick up a black widow.
And please PETA people...don't lecture me on black widows ...k, thanks...

Old 07-19-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlekitten View Post
Colder temperatures kill off bacteria. You need a warm soggy environment to promote growth. You, and your cheese, are safe !!!! (please don't open your fridge again till the fumes die down tho)

Poor spiders My older brother did that to scare off a spider that crawled under our fridge as well, - and whatever it was that he sprayed in, brought an entire "emergnecy caravan" of insects evacuating the premises. lol. we were quite trampled at first. - better out than in though!
Oh know! I didn't think about an "emergency caravan"--good thing I have been hanging out upstairs since the spraying incident, because if i saw a whole bunch of other bugs and spiders hightailing it out of there, I would be even more freaked out.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
And please PETA people...don't lecture me on black widows ...k, thanks...
I was a little concerned about that myself too.

I actually hate killing bugs or spiders, but if they are too scary looking, they have to go. My hubby is the bigger baby about these things, so he is the one that insisted on spraying the poor thing out of there and then to its death. I don't think it would have been such the event if we hadn't thought it might be the black widow.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:57 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,577 times
Quote:
I was a little concerned about that myself too.

I actually hate killing bugs or spiders, but if they are too scary looking, they have to go. My hubby is the bigger baby about these things, so he is the one that insisted on spraying the poor thing out of there and then to its death. I don't think it would have been such the event if we hadn't thought it might be the black widow.

If a black widow happens to feast on you...you might as well make sure your Will is in order.

I have friends near 49 Palms, *southern California desert...for those that don't know *....where the bw spider is very common.
One of my friends is an active conservationist. She even spread the word to be on the look-out for them while we were doing a hike...and do what we had to do, to survive.
I think the spider Gods will forgive me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness