Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times

Advertisements

the idea of this thread is kind of obnoxious and offensive (not that im saying that about john, just the idea he is passing along). im sick and im seriously not supposed to try to use whatever means are at my disposal to find out whats wrong with me (or my loved one)? if a doctor wants to tell me why im wrong thats fine but if someone tells me not to search the internet then i wont respond kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:45 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,563,767 times
I've had one treat me like I was a idiot for looking up my symptoms on the internet that verified my complaints were statin drug induced while trying to hand me a Rx for another statin drug...telling me "you can't believe everything you read on the internet!"..

Then I had several others who wrote down what I had and told me to look it up on the internet and learn all I could about it.

They just don't want to loose their image of being the "All Knowing Almighty Doctor"..

I don't take any drugs without looking them up on the internet too. Some Rx's I rip up and throw away after reading about them on the internet, others I will try but know what to look for when I am on them..

It's the choice we have today of making an informed decision on the procedures, drugs, etc.. I even look up the new doctors I am scheduled to see.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,532,208 times
Two years ago my son and I both went to the ER suffering from severe,severe sore throat and red swollen eyes (we each had one eye really infected).I told the doctor I had done some online research and concluded we had strep throat and pink eye... he was not happy to hear me say that. (I could tell by the look on his face.)
We both had a chest x-rays done but no throat cultures were taken. Doc diagnosed us with bronchitis and pink eye. Mind you, neither of us was coughing at all. (And I have chronic bronchitis and well know what it is!) In almost 40 years I have only been given antibiotics for my bronchitis twice (and that was because it followed on the heals of a bacterial infection already present.) We were given antibiotics and eye drops and sent on our way.
I still laugh about it because it was strep throat... the first (and ONLY-I hope) time I had it. I never want a sore throat like that again.
Yup, doctors don't like to be told what is wrong. That's what they went to school for.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,578,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
DOCTORS have warned they are seeing too many "cyberchondriacs", those patients who misdiagnose their illnesses after Googling their symptoms.
The Australian Medical Association is concerned the plethora of online medical information is doing more harm than good, with patients increasingly referring to the internet for advice before consulting a trained GP.

Read more: Stop Googling your symptoms. Doctors are sick of it | News.com.au

Doing that is a symptom of something. Let me check Google on it.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,157,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the idea of this thread is kind of obnoxious and offensive (not that im saying that about john, just the idea he is passing along). im sick and im seriously not supposed to try to use whatever means are at my disposal to find out whats wrong with me (or my loved one)? if a doctor wants to tell me why im wrong thats fine but if someone tells me not to search the internet then i wont respond kindly.
+1 to you and I agree 100%.

God forbid we find out that whatever we searched for gave us an answer that didn't require a $100 doctors visit....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness