U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:37 PM

28,101 posts, read 31,569,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eve.az View Post
Thank you for the reply. I left a message for the regional manager to call me, so we'll see what she says.

You're welcome!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,542 times
I just had to get new lenses because i had this crazing too. They said it was caused by heat and maybe I had left the glasses in the car. I asked how could I only leave half a pair of glasses because it only happened to one lense! Of course they had never heard of this happening but long story short....it cost me more money!!! And I always use the case because my eyes are so bad lenses take 3 weeks to make and cost $600!!!! To clean my glasses I swear by those wipes they have at Lensecrafters. That stuff dries before you can throw away the wipe and they are really worth a couple bucks!! I used to use water and my t shirt but my eyes are so bad that lenses cost me $600 so now I am really careful with them!!

Last edited by joetaska; 04-05-2012 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: spelling!! And added the wipes part!

Old 02-01-2015, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,704 times
Angry Replaced glass lenses at least 6 times!

I'm glad you started this tread, Tenneseestorm, because I have been having the same problem going on now for several years. The optician says it is only me who has this problem. I have the glasses now that are rimless on the bottom. I pick out the lightest-weight glasses I can find because I'm not used to wearing them all the time. I just got my current lenses replaced for the 2nd time in six months and I am starting to see the chipping at the edge and nosepiece again. I was wondering if it was a defect in the Cristal lens manufacturer. I'm so sick of going back every two or three months because of this. I too am very careful and vey gentle with my glasses, so I KNOW it's not something I have done. I'm going to have a long talk with the optician next time and maybe file a complaint with the manufacturer of the frames. They cost $800!

Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 AM

47 posts, read 29,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyspirit View Post
I'm glad you started this tread, Tenneseestorm, because I have been having the same problem going on now for several years. The optician says it is only me who has this problem. I have the glasses now that are rimless on the bottom. I pick out the lightest-weight glasses I can find because I'm not used to wearing them all the time. I just got my current lenses replaced for the 2nd time in six months and I am starting to see the chipping at the edge and nosepiece again. I was wondering if it was a defect in the Cristal lens manufacturer. I'm so sick of going back every two or three months because of this. I too am very careful and vey gentle with my glasses, so I KNOW it's not something I have done. I'm going to have a long talk with the optician next time and maybe file a complaint with the manufacturer of the frames. They cost $800!

With semi rimless frames you can get chipping with certain lens materials or if the lab is using dull tooling to grind them. I had this problem with one pair of my semi rimless frames and took them back and they were remade. If they are less than 2 years old take them back because the labs give the eye doctors or opticians two year warranties on the frames they do for them and if the doctor tells you that you only have a one year warranty, tell them to give you the labs number because with them they are still under warranty. I would also try a different lens material and see if the problem goes away.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,704 times
Thanks for the info, agilpro. I took them back, am still under warranty, and I believe my situation was taken more seriously this time. I have the strongest material so what they did this time was bevel the edges differently. Thanks for the info re the lab as my warranty will be out in March. Here's hoping that the problem was solved!

Old 10-01-2015, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,653 times
I live in UK, and have been wearing/using prescription varifocals with transitional lenses for some years. Two weeks ago my everyday pair started to become opaque. Closer inspection (with my spare pair) showed the lenses looked like crazy garden paving. The optician (not a budget outlet) said she had never seen this before. The warranty is past its sell by date by 18months so it seems I have no redress on specs that cost £400 ! However, with a bit of persuasion, she has agreed to send them back to the manufactures for investigation. There were some bizarre questions. eg, have I subjected them to intense sunlight? er, excuse me the transitional part of the lens turns them into sunglasses! I feel there must be an intrinsic fault for both lenses to shatter in this way. Is there an inbuilt sell by date even with glasses?

Old 10-01-2015, 02:57 PM

16,424 posts, read 9,919,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by percepeid View Post
Hi there,
Generally i'm just a browsers of these forums, however I am a licensed Optician so may be able to offer some insight.

the problem here, I am 90% sure, os because of the lens material. Polycarbonate lenses do have a tendency to crack. They are safety lenses in that they won't outright break, but the lens material is actually quite soft, it pits and cracks fairly easily. This is especially the case in Rimless glasses (where it will certainly crack at the drill mounting) or when the eyeglass lens was cut too large for the frame. The added pressure on the lens will cause this cracking.
Dish soap isn't the best to use, but it will certainly not create any chemical reaction causing the lend to physically crack. It may affect any AR coating you have, but not crack the lens.
This is certainly a lens defect, as a result of a lab error. They would be absolutely responsible for remedying this.
If you are looking for a safety lens, or slightly thinner lens I would recommend a material called "trivex" some companies will also call this "duralite." It is about as thin as Polycarbonate but significantly stronger and will not crack. If you have a rather strong RX, I would recommend a 1.67 High Index lens for it's thin profile as well as strength. If none of these apply, the simply CR-39 lens would suffice.
Any further questions please feel free to ask.
I agree with most of what percepeid said. I am an optician as well. I don't agree that poly has a tendency to crack. But if OP has a drill mount lens (it sounds like he/she does), they certainly do, but it's not because of the material, it's because of the mount of the lens itself. Drill mount lenses are usually made of polycarbonate or hi-index plastic material, and those lenses are put under extra pressure because there is no external frame to hold the lenses in place. All the support comes from the screws attaching the lenses to the temple and nosepiece.

Trivex is about 10% thicker than polycarbonate. But it does have better optical properties than poly, so I recommend Trivex to patients who are sensitive to tiny lens aberrations. If OP wants any type of rimless frame (grooved or drill mount) he/she usually cannot get it in CR-39 because they don't edge well at the lab, which results in lens breakage. OP, I don't know if you have a high power in your lenses, but if you do, that makes the issue worse. Also, since you are having a repeated problem with cracking, I think you should not go with the drill mount style. I avoid frame styling patients with drill mounts completely because they are fragile and expensive. It's not you; it's the style. A grooved rimless would give you more stability and you would not see the frame at the bottom. I recommend OP go back to LensCrafters and ask for a reframe style to something less fragile; a full frame or grooved rimless in polycarbonate or hi-index. I also agree with percepeid that the soap OP is using is not affecting the lens strength.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,475 times
I am an optometrist and percepeid is 100% correct. The cracking is due to the polycarbonate material and the tension created at the frame. I will bet money you have a low prescription. Have the lenses made in 1.6 index (or regular plastic depending on the prescription) and you will no longer have problems. Some optical chains like to promote polycarbonate because they make larger margins on it. While it does have some desirable properties, it is not the optically clearest material to use. The optician above (scooby snacks) mentioned that polycarbonate does not usually crack. This is true unless you are using it on prescriptions lower than +/- 1.25. Then it will crack often. (especially if it is cut even a tiny bit too big for the frame). He is correct that he has probably rarely seen it cracking on because he is a good optician who is not using polycarbonate when he should be using something else. Also, you can still get rimless or semirimless glasses that won't crack... Just make sure they use trivex.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,399 times
Default Straiations in the lenses

I bought eyeglasses at Visionworks last summer. I just noticed very small fractures in the lamination.
The lenses are not scratched and i only clean them with eyeglass wipes. The technichian caled it straiations in the lense.
I called vw and they said to bring them back. I'll let you know howit turns out.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
I have Polycarbonate lenses with AR and darkest transitions in them, in a vogue frame that's fully around the lens. I got my glasses in January of this year, it's now October, these are the 3rd lenses that have cracked on the top and bottom on both lens and the eye docs are claiming that I need to order new frame, because it's my frames. I had these frames with regular lenses (not polycarbonate) with mid transitions in them and wore them for 9 years and never had an issue. What could be happening here??? Is it the transitions? I'm very careful with my glasses in only use the purity lens cleaner that they gave me with their cleaning cloths that they gave me... I never use water nor do I use my fingers or soap. When I went in and talked to him last didn't sound like they were going to be able to do anything else for me since this is the 3rd lenses that it's happening to my thing is that I had the same frames with regular plastic lenses with transitions in them for 9 years and never had a problem. I had the same lenses in Vogue frame, as the ones I wore for 9 years and never had a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or