Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

I was recently told that I need a CPAP machine after the technician said it did nto look like I had a lot of Apnea episodes. The doctor siad that I had some apnia but not a high level. He did not think that was the cause of my sleep problem, but it could nto hurt to use the machine.

HE is not the one who has to satisfy a $1000 deductible.

As I looked into this, I learned that pretty much every adult male over 40 that I know has been perscribed a CPAP machine. Of about 20 people, only 2 of them are stil using the machine and think that it does them some good. The others said it did nothing but make them uncomfortable so after a month they quit using it.

I also ehard that CPAP is not the most overprescribed "cure" out there.

I am just curious. Is there any person who has ever gone in for a sleep study and been told hat you do not need a CPAP machine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:55 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
My doctor didn't tell me I needed a CPAP machine my wife did. If I stop using it I go back to sleeping in the spare bedroom. Its that simple. Most people who wind up in a sleep study (they aren't cheap) are there to find out how bad their apnea is, not to find out if in fact they have apnea. That could be one reason for the high number of CPAP prescriptions following sleep studies. If you don't want one, don't get one.

H

Old 02-22-2011, 05:32 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
My doctor didn't tell me I needed a CPAP machine my wife did. If I stop using it I go back to sleeping in the spare bedroom. Its that simple. Most people who wind up in a sleep study (they aren't cheap) are there to find out how bad their apnea is, not to find out if in fact they have apnea. That could be one reason for the high number of CPAP prescriptions following sleep studies. If you don't want one, don't get one.

H
I disagree. I know people that had other issues & were told they needed a sleep study.

As to the original question; I'd be curious if anyone doesn't need one after doing a study. It does seem like the "in" thing to prescribe

Old 02-22-2011, 05:52 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
My husband had the sleep study and did not need a CPAP. I, however, had the study and did need the CPAP. If I sleep without it I have the absolute worst morning headaches.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:03 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
i had a sleep study and had pretty bad apnea...
but i whent into the sleep study BECAUSE i was displaying symptoms of apnea, not just a random sleep study.

but that was about 6 months ago and after loosing almost 100lbs im apnea free

Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Have you talked to your doctor about other options? I had a friend with sleep apnea, and once he stopped eating after 8pm and lost about 20 lbs he was fine.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Default Your health may depend on the CPAP

It sounds to me like you are hoping you don't have to use a CPAP - something I can understand and sympathize with - and that somehow it is bogus and "over prescribed."

Nonsense. Either you need it or you don't. If you need it, your brain is being deprived of oxygen while you sleep and if you don't use it you will die either of a stroke or a heart attack, or just in your sleep like the football player Reggie White who was like 42 years old.

What is your AHI? This is the number of 'stopped breathing events' or 'apneas' you have in an hour. If you have 4 or less in an hour you are in the "normal range. Here are the rankings:

0 - 4: Normal
5 - 14: Mild
15 - 35: Moderate
Over 35: Severe

You must know your AHI. If is 5 or over you need to use a CPAP. It will cost you $1,000?? Really??? Is your health and your life worth $1,000???

People who cannot afford a CPAP get them at discount or cut rate prices on the internet such as on E-bay or places that sell working used ones. Charities donate them free to folks who can't afford them.

Please, please, please go to Sleep Apnea Support Forum Index to get more information.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 PM

812 posts, read 1,908,040 times
I worked sleep studies for 2+ yrs/Resp Therapist. I had a LOT of patients that didn't qualify for CPAP's.

And yes it can be hard to tolerate but for the folks that do use them and adjust they are miracle workers! I would tell my patients that it is about 90% mental.

I have a hubby with bad sleep apnea. I finally packed up his auto cpap the other week and put it in the closet. Didn't matter how low I set it or ramped it up. Tried every version of mask I could on him. I talk to people daily that swear by them so I know they work. I have seen patients sleep 2 hrs with CPAP on during a study and wake up saying it was the best sleep they had in 20 yrs.

I would look into dental appliances, NOT sleeping on your back, weight loss (if that is a possible contributing factor) and UPPP as a last resort-very low success rate for the pain involved IMO.

YES it does seem like a hot button thing right now but they have done more research and associating sleep with daytime problems and heart problems especially-since lack of oxygen and stress of the apneas takes its toll.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:39 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
My wife has sleep apnea. She had a sleep study and her number was 17. That means she stopped breathing 17 times an hour when she sleeps so now she has a machine. Tonite will be her first real nite with it on and hopefully we will get it to seal properly and both of us will sleep soundly.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
According to my sleep doc, about 80% of apneas are caused by being overweight; lose enough and you don't have sleep apnea. The other 20% have structural issues-or rarely brain issues-and will always need it. Babies are born w/ sleep apnea.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness