Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 AM

419 posts, read 868,571 times

Advertisements

The doctor said I have acute bronchitis. I've never had it before, so I'm wondering if the "bronch-vets" can chime in about the breathing difficulties with this infection...Is the chest tightness and feeling like you're going to pass out from lack of oxygen normal? And all you can do is take an expectorant and drink lots of fluids to help the situation?

That's what the doc said, anyway. I want to be well again. And now my kids are getting sick, too.

Last edited by jaida; 02-26-2011 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:44 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Its not normal to have a feelin that you pass out altough you have bronch. Im a heavy smoker and bronch aint no stranger to me, the doctors have always prescribed antibiotics to me. Try another doctor and demand antibiotics.

If youre a smoker, check out my thread: Chest Infection And Smokin.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:56 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
I hate bronchitis. Yes, taking it easy, lots of fluids, cheerful things that may distract you like sunshine.

There is a steroid inhaler called Asthma Treatment and COPD. Treatment with ADVAIR - ADVAIR.com

Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
If you have chronic viral bronchitis, then your doctor is -mostly- right; antibiotics don't treat virii, they treat bacteria. For the chest pressure, your best bet is to get hot vapor (not a cold mister, that'll make it worse), and expectorants to loosen things up (which will make you cough like crazy so personally I wouldn't take expectorants too close to sleep time), NOT laying down on your back if you can help it - prop yourself up with pillows even at bedtime if you can. You don't want the fluid to settle in your lungs. That's the biggest risk of bronchitis; pneumonia. You'll feel like you're gonna bust a rib for a few days. But you want that cough to be productive (meaning, wet and icky), so go with the steam, the expectorants, sitting upright, keeping warm, drinking PLENTY of fluids.

Vick's Vaporub, or Tiger Balm, or any other menthol/eucalyptus muscle rub will help for your chest, and Hall's Mentholyptus or similar can help keep you breathing.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:18 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
and warm chicken soup.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm taking in lots of liquids, along with an OTC expectorant. Am now taking it easy because I got a scare yesterday after trying to do all the normal chores. Started having an even harder time breathing and got a pins and needles/numbing sensation in my fingers, leg, and lower chest area. Almost thought it was my time to go. Talk about weird.

I can't believe some people go through this crap every year. My heart goes out to you folks!!!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Jaida, you should definitely keep your doctor in the loop regarding your breathing problem, and the strange sensations. Even if your lungs are clear, they might be constricted. If that's the case, you might need an inhaler. It's not a big deal to use one, but if your bronchitis is "asthmatic bronchitis," it could be a -huge- help to you while you're sick.

I had chronic asthmatic bronchitis for around 20 years. It acted up every winter, and every summer. It usually lasted at least a month. I learned to like the taste of Nyquil My doctor never thought to recommend an inhaler, but I've since learned that it's a pretty common temporary and useful treatment if you're having a "breathing attack" when you have bronchitis. You just inhale from it in a quick puff, your airways open up, and you're good to go.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times
I'm asthmatic, a smoker (dumb, I know) and have had some nasty bronchitis. Firstly, each time I get it I go on antibiotics. There is this distinct taste I can tell when it's a bacterial infection. If you're coughing up yellow or especially green, time for either an antibiotic or maybe even prednisone. Fluids, of course, are super important and I'd be drinking a ton of water. OTC expectorants are good too, although those Mucinex pills are too big for me to swallow so I go the liquid route. Most of all, make sure that cough stays productive (as in not dry but coughing crap up). I once had bronchitis for six months. Nothing to mess around with. Oh, and I get a flu shot every year since then.

Oh, and I forgot to mention inhalers. There are the fast acting type (like Ventolin) and the steroid type (like an Advair or QVar). The first is essential in opening up bronchial tubes FAST and is used for that reason. The latter acts more like an anti-inflammatory and is preventative (although also used to make a bad situation better and then continued as a preventative if needed), although I did use QVar during my last nasty bronchitis episode. Mind you, it doesn't work in 20 minutes like Ventolin or Albuterol, but it does makes things better within days.

I never had good luck with Advair, so won't comment. One more thing, if you're coughing up green, call your Dr. right away and be seen.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 02-27-2011 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: add thought

Old 02-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Went to my regular doc today and got antibiotics and an inhaler. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,728 times
When my son was very young he had chronic bronchitis.
A few years ago he set it off after a day of mowing lawns by smoking a cigar someone had given him.
He thought he would die. Bloody Fluid was dripping from his nostrils.
I was ready to call 911.
I gave him some homeopathic Apis and in minutes he was past the worst of it.

Be aware of the many things that can set it off.
Cold wind, food additives etc.
Take note of what you have eaten or been exposed to in your environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness