Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:20 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times

Advertisements

My fiance broke a rib a week ago. He went to the doctor, they took x-rays, gave him some pain meds and told him to take it easy. He played hockey a few times before his Dr appointment - he didn't know he actually broke a rib Then last night he was twisting toward the side of the broken rib (reaching for something, I think) and he sneezed. When he sneezed he felt horrible pain. He's not sure if he could have done more damage to the rib? He's going to call the Dr on Monday but he was just wondering if you all had any advice/thoughts in the meantime.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
He can go to a walk-in clinic for another x-ray if he wants to. Is he still in more pain than before? If so, I'd go and let them take a look,

Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
My fiance broke a rib a week ago. He went to the doctor, they took x-rays, gave him some pain meds and told him to take it easy. He played hockey a few times before his Dr appointment - he didn't know he actually broke a rib Then last night he was twisting toward the side of the broken rib (reaching for something, I think) and he sneezed. When he sneezed he felt horrible pain. He's not sure if he could have done more damage to the rib? He's going to call the Dr on Monday but he was just wondering if you all had any advice/thoughts in the meantime.

Thanks!

Worst pain in the world if you ask me.

I'm nursing three broken ribs right now for the fifth time. Fell off a ladder twice, fell in the tub once, using bolt cutters against my ribs and last week I fell off my bike.

I can tell you that it will take a long time for them to heal, up to six months. Last time I broke them I was healed about two months and I was reaching for something on the top shelf for my wife and felt them rip open again.

And talk about pain when you sneeze, cough or try and clear your throat. Getting out of bed can be hard, even using the restroom or just breathing.

And whatever he does tell him not to wrap his ribs up with an ace bandage. They did this years ago until they found that it can cause pneumonia with some people.

And he will most likely have some pain for a while until he completely heals which in my case takes months.

busta

Old 03-05-2011, 12:19 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I can tell you that it will take a long time for them to heal, up to six months. Last time I broke them I was healed about two months and I was reaching for something on the top shelf for my wife and felt them rip open again.
This is exactly what happened to him last night. Good to know that maybe he just opened something up. He was worried he caused something worse to happen, but it sounds like now it will just take a little longer to heal. Unfortunate, but not the worst thing.

Thanks Southernbelle! Either way he said he definitely wants to check with his doctor on Monday.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:28 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Tell him to get a back brace; a girdle type. That will hold everything together.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
I just sneezed three times in a row and the pain was so bad that I would much rather someone stomp on my balls or smash my big toe with a hammer, broken ribs suck.

busta

Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Tell him to get a back brace; a girdle type. That will hold everything together.
A back brace or girdle will not help with the pain from broken ribs

There is no indication for wraps of any kind with broken ribs and a girdle may make matters worse by limiting deep inspiration and leaving the patient open to developing atelectasis and pneumonia

Old 03-06-2011, 11:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Well, I broke a rib and it's the worst pain I've ever had. And it does take six months to heal and there is nothing that can really be done other than pain pills and time. Wish I could say something more positive, but they do heal.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:55 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,496 times
to the OP - broken ribs remain painful for a long time, but to your question as to whether your fiance could have done more damage, the only thing you really need to be concerned about is any shortness of breath - and i dont mean difficulty breathing because it hurts, i mean feeling short on air - one of the complications of rib fracture is pneumothorax.

im pretty sure he'd know about it if he had one.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
They can cause more problems as muscles become weak through not being used,even in people with back problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness