Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 01:27 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times

Advertisements

I just have the JuiceMan but seems to work well enough. My favorite combo is carrots, celery, apple and lemon. Great tasting and good for energy. I tried alfalfa once and made me very shaky and nauseated. Was told that by those symptoms I really needed it. Maybe so, but I will do without thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 08:13 PM

121 posts, read 519,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I just have the JuiceMan but seems to work well enough. My favorite combo is carrots, celery, apple and lemon. Great tasting and good for energy. I tried alfalfa once and made me very shaky and nauseated. Was told that by those symptoms I really needed it. Maybe so, but I will do without thanks!
How much alafalfa did you use? Your suppose to use just a shredd about the palm size of your hand. You don't suppose to overdose on the stuff, sheesh

Old 09-30-2007, 10:12 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
No, it was at a juice bar in Portland, OR. We had walked there and had to walk the 3 miles back home very shaky and nauseated! But had water with me so that helped.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
No, it was at a juice bar in Portland, OR. We had walked there and had to walk the 3 miles back home very shaky and nauseated! But had water with me so that helped.
Oh ok now I understand. We'll they probably was trying to over deliver at the bar and likely gave you an enormous amount of the stuff. Perhaps you can try alfalfa with a smaller dosage once you get back into juicing.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:56 PM

3 posts, read 12,609 times
Post Fibromyalgia sucks

First for the people who are saying that Fibro is anxiety driven, technically that is not correct. However, people who never had problems before can begin getting full blown symptoms of Fibro because of a trauma in their lives. (ie: death of a loved one, difficult child birth, divorce, even a highly stressful job). So these anxieties can "trigger" fibromyalgia, but they are not the driving force. Once fibromyalgia has been "triggered" in an individual, there will be ups and downs, good days and bad days, but it wouldn't matter if they put you in a secure, sanitary bubble away from all stresses and anxieties, the person will always have it, there is no cure.
I have fibro and I find it comical when the doctors etc tell you that excercise will help you feel better. This may work for some, but in my case, any excercise or activity makes my symptoms much worse than they were to begin with. I get up to do a load of laundry and after starting the washer, putting the detergent in, throwing the clothes in and closing the lid, I am ready to take an hour nap. The fatigue is awful. I also have had migraines since I was young...the fibro only reared it's ugly head fully about 2yrs ago.

Someone posted and said they could not get a disabled parking permit from their doctor. This means it is time for another doctor. There are still many doctors, much like some of this forum's posters, who do not believe that fibromyalgia is a real disease. You have to find a doctor who treats several fibromyalgia patients, someone who knows what their patients go through on a day to day basis. It took me quite a while to find one. Finally, I did and I got on SSI disability and got the parking permit for which there are days when I am grateful...there are also days when I don't have to use it. I hope this helps and keep in mind that MANY people including educated physicians will tell you that it is all in your head...only you know how you truly feel and since there are no outward signs of sickness, people will think you are lying or exaggerating ...it happens all the time. All you can do is ignore it (and that is hard to do) and keep doing what is best for yourself.
Best of luck to all!

Old 10-01-2007, 07:53 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
retjamrivera wrote:
First for the people who are saying that Fibro is anxiety driven, technically that is not correct

I still strongly suspect that Anxiety is indeed a contributing factor to keeping it in place. I can see no way that it would be helpful.

retjamrivera wrote:
I hope this helps and keep in mind that MANY people including educated physicians will tell you that it is all in your head
Remember that physicians are educated to see things a certain way. When something falls outside the box, many will try to put it back into a familiar box.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-01-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Great post!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retjamrivera View Post
First for the people who are saying that Fibro is anxiety driven, technically that is not correct. However, people who never had problems before can begin getting full blown symptoms of Fibro because of a trauma in their lives. (ie: death of a loved one, difficult child birth, divorce, even a highly stressful job). So these anxieties can "trigger" fibromyalgia, but they are not the driving force. Once fibromyalgia has been "triggered" in an individual, there will be ups and downs, good days and bad days, but it wouldn't matter if they put you in a secure, sanitary bubble away from all stresses and anxieties, the person will always have it, there is no cure.
I have fibro and I find it comical when the doctors etc tell you that excercise will help you feel better. This may work for some, but in my case, any excercise or activity makes my symptoms much worse than they were to begin with. I get up to do a load of laundry and after starting the washer, putting the detergent in, throwing the clothes in and closing the lid, I am ready to take an hour nap. The fatigue is awful. I also have had migraines since I was young...the fibro only reared it's ugly head fully about 2yrs ago.

Someone posted and said they could not get a disabled parking permit from their doctor. This means it is time for another doctor. There are still many doctors, much like some of this forum's posters, who do not believe that fibromyalgia is a real disease. You have to find a doctor who treats several fibromyalgia patients, someone who knows what their patients go through on a day to day basis. It took me quite a while to find one. Finally, I did and I got on SSI disability and got the parking permit for which there are days when I am grateful...there are also days when I don't have to use it. I hope this helps and keep in mind that MANY people including educated physicians will tell you that it is all in your head...only you know how you truly feel and since there are no outward signs of sickness, people will think you are lying or exaggerating ...it happens all the time. All you can do is ignore it (and that is hard to do) and keep doing what is best for yourself.
Best of luck to all!
Definitely, fibromyalgia is real and while I agree anxiety can be a cause of it, it certainly isn't the end all answer as to why people get it. I think the real answer is no one knows that answer and all any of us do is try and come up with a solution that doesn't work for all people. As for people not believing it is not a real symptom maybe they can look up famous people like Michelle Akers who played professional soccer while suffering from the disease.

What we can do to attempt to over come the disease? Well for me exercise, eating right(still working on never cheating while eating right,no days off), taking vitamins and supplements, and I am going to start juicing with certain vegatebles as I read in another post someone said they cured their fibromyalgia in 8 months by doing that.

Conclusion:It boils down to reading, gathering information from books, websites, and prayer. If it is meant to be cured then it will be. We can do nothing but except the hand the is dealt us.

Wish you all the best

Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
Default My Experience

I have had several medical problems throughout my relatively short life. (I'm 47 but want to live to be 147!). I was diagnosed as having fibroyalgia by my family doctor in a small Wyoming town over 20 years ago. That was before most people had even heard of it! Luckily, when I moved to a larger town I found a great rheumatologist. I've always felt that this "affliction" (I guess you'd call it) led to lots of other problems. I have taken depression meds for years, have hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pain, and sleep disturbances. I was also diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease a couple of years ago. A few months ago I had lots of weird side effects from Ambien CR (see the Ambien thread post for more info on that) and was finally found to have sleep apnea. I'm using a CPAP machine and have felt awesome ever since! I sleep great, aches & pains are almost gone altogether, depression isn't a problem, blood pressure is down, etc. Weird??? Now I wonder whether the fibro really did lead to other things or whether I've had the sleep apnea for all these years and that caused my problems. Does anyone out there have any experience with the combination of fibro/sleep apnea? In any case, it feels great to feel great, no matter what the cause of fibromyalgia, or even if that was the problem in my case! I'm just happy to have found something that finally works for me! Oh, by the way, I'm very active in lots of physical activities, in my work, etc. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this. Thanks a bunch!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Try cutting out animal products and wheat products. See if your fibromyalgia symptoms go away.
What most people don't realize is what they are eating is what is causing all these diseases and symptoms.
This has helped me tremendously, although I have started eating some meats again...

My FM has been kicking up the past week or 2, I think...stress.

My RA is doing ok.

FM is real. Lyrica has been FDA approved for it. If there were not a classification for it, the drug could not be approved for the usage of the dx.

I do not use anything for it, but only treat my RA, Migraines, and Epilepsy, also Vit D deficiency, which causes much pain, overall.

The Vit D deficiency causes almost as much pain as FM if it is not kept under control.

For anyone who thinks FM is not a real thing, and you have a child......

Wait for the day when you are in a FM flare, and your child gives you a great big I love you mommy Hug, and it pains you so. It hurts your body, and your heart. It hurts that having your child hug you hurts. It hurts to tell you child...be easy....

Its real, you just have to learn how to do things to try and keep it under control.

In my very first Rheumatologist note, she remarks that it hurts when my children hug me. Ouch.

She thought I only had maybe myalgias at that time, later learning that I had FM, and even more, Seronegative RA.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,181,956 times
I knew someone who took a powder vitamin product called Reliv and it helped their fibromyalgia. Anyone ever tried this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness