Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 04:31 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times

Advertisements

Folks, no matter what side you are on the point is really moot - it is AGAINST THE LAW for anything other than service animals to be in a grocery store. Period.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:27 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Folks, no matter what side you are on the point is really moot - it is AGAINST THE LAW for anything other than service animals to be in a grocery store. Period.
Yes, but why?

And if the service dogs can be there, why not other dogs?

It used to be fine here in the U.S. It's fine in other parts of the world.

Of course, most of us have bigger things to worry about than stupid laws that don't really matter.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:31 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
I'm so fine with dogs in the grocery store. There are so many kids with snot running out of there nose and adults with snot coming out of there nose that I would welcome more dogs. I worked as a cashier for a year in a grocery store and had adults hand me money that was in there panties, bras, and also lick cards before handing them to me. Dogs are just fine

Old 03-18-2011, 07:48 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Just think of the carts sitting in the parking lot.....

With birds flying over and pooping.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:37 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I'm so fine with dogs in the grocery store. There are so many kids with snot running out of there nose and adults with snot coming out of there nose that I would welcome more dogs. I worked as a cashier for a year in a grocery store and had adults hand me money that was in there panties, bras, and also lick cards before handing them to me. Dogs are just fine
I know!!! Right
and just ewwwwwwwwwww...... to the adults carrying money in places they should not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Just think of the carts sitting in the parking lot.....

With birds flying over and pooping.
for real!!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:10 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Because service dogs are trained and other dogs...maybe or maybe not. Have to wonder if that wouldn't be a liability issue for the stores if someone did get bitten by a nervous dog?
And while your own dog may be clean who knows about the others. Then there are fleas, ticks, worms, butt licking, rolling in poop or munching road kill...ewwww.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:03 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Because service dogs are trained and other dogs...maybe or maybe not. Have to wonder if that wouldn't be a liability issue for the stores if someone did get bitten by a nervous dog?
And while your own dog may be clean who knows about the others. Then there are fleas, ticks, worms, butt licking, rolling in poop or munching road kill...ewwww.
MRSA, influenza A/B, H1N1, RSV, herpes, rotavirus...ewwwww.

Oh, wait...you get those from other people.

I'm just waiting for one of those kids with those little miniature carts they hand out at the door to break granny's hip...

Old 03-18-2011, 11:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCoriander View Post
I've seen this a lot since moving to the west coast. Within a couple of weeks being here, I saw a dog in the cart at Target and raised an eyebrow. A few minutes, later I encountered the cart again, but no dog. The dog was running around the clothing department and the owners are nowhere to be found.

I see dogs in stores here all of the time, and even in food establishments. I think it is a regional thing, because I don't recall seeing animals hardly ever in stores back east.
I worked in a department store in a suburb of Pittsburgh and at a furniture store in Tucson and in neither case were we allowed to show any response to people bringing their dogs in the stores. Personally, I find it distasteful especially when the dogs jumped on the furniture. I actually had a woman tell me her dog was there to "help her pick out a new sofa." Seriously.

I am allergic to dogs and I don't think I should have to worry about them being around my workplace if I am not working in a pet-store.

To those who say, "Well, people put their babies in the cart," I say, "The OP specifically said the people in question put their dogs in the FOOD part of the cart, not in the seat part. The babies go in the seat part and one can choose not to put their groceries there.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I worked in a department store in a suburb of Pittsburgh and at a furniture store in Tucson and in neither case were we allowed to show any response to people bringing their dogs in the stores. Personally, I find it distasteful especially when the dogs jumped on the furniture. I actually had a woman tell me her dog was there to "help her pick out a new sofa." Seriously.

I am allergic to dogs and I don't think I should have to worry about them being around my workplace if I am not working in a pet-store.

To those who say, "Well, people put their babies in the cart," I say, "The OP specifically said the people in question put their dogs in the FOOD part of the cart, not in the seat part. The babies go in the seat part and one can choose not to put their groceries there.

not necessarily as I see kids mainly in the cart(usually standing ) all the time. Nasty little buggers. I don't understand why I'll see what looks to be both parents and usually between 1-4 kids all shopping. Why can't the kids and one of the parents stay home?? I've also seen numerous times where the kids are in the cart and mom has allowed them to open cookies,candy or chips and eat the entire container then the mom puts the empty container back on the shelf I'm no rat fink so I have never reported such acts;am hoping video cameras catch em though. I doubt you'll find dogs stealing food
Never the less-the foods are no doubt going to be in a container of some sort so whether it's a snotty nosed kid or a dog riding in the cart the food should be protected.
I'm allergic to perfumes and colognes but people who should know better wear that toxic substance in public. Your dog allergy and my perfume allergy probably cause pretty much the same results.
The list continues to grow as to what people should and shouldn't do. There is never going to be a correct answer.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:03 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, but why?

It used to be fine here in the U.S. It's fine in other parts of the world.

Of course, most of us have bigger things to worry about than stupid laws that don't really matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I have been blessed with my Service Dog, Freedom. My boy is groomed daily (including brushing his teeth), bathed twice a month,up to date with his vet care, has no fleas or ticks and is a perfectly behaved gentleman.

He allows me to go about in public with dignity and frankly, most pets are not trained nor are groomed properly as is my boy. Also, pet dogs bark, jump and lunge at my Service Dog and generally cause embarrassing undue attention to me (it has happened every time a pet dog is in public and comes across us); my boy does not react in any way except to move even closer to my wheelchair.

we (my SD and myself) deserve to go about in public without being accosted by a dog that has no business being in enclosed public spaces.

As for those with allergies (also those who are terrified by dogs) I am truly sorry if you have an reaction to my boy (I mean this sincerely).The solution is to move away from us (I am blind so I am not able to note a person who may be dismayed by our presence) as quickly and quietly as possible (please- no hysterical screaming!). I know that this is not going to stop a reaction that has begun but it will certainly lessen the severity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness