Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:52 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
This entire thread has me cracking up!!!
Here's what I do when I see a dog---approach and ask if I can pet it. I don't care if it's in the middle of a grocery or a restaurant.
Here's what I do when I see kids: grab my always handy tissue,cover my mouth and nose & scurry in the other direction.

^^^This. Much more likely to catch something from a kid than a dog.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I have been blessed with my Service Dog, Freedom. My boy is groomed daily (including brushing his teeth), bathed twice a month,up to date with his vet care, has no fleas or ticks and is a perfectly behaved gentleman.

He allows me to go about in public with dignity and frankly, most pets are not trained nor are groomed properly as is my boy. Also, pet dogs bark, jump and lunge at my Service Dog and generally cause embarrassing undue attention to me (it has happened every time a pet dog is in public and comes across us); my boy does not react in any way except to move even closer to my wheelchair.
Lol...my older collie gets bathed 2 to 4 times a month (bc of a skin issue) and doesn't even acknowledge other dogs in public. She has never so much as snarled at anyone and is extremely sweet and gentle.

My younger collie is hell on wheels and I wouldn't take her anywhere she might jump and lick bc not all people like dogs...but this is a factor of her age and immaturity. We practice with her and she will get better.

But I agree that many people don't exercise good judgment. They just buy a dog as an accessory, don't bother training it properly (especially on how to act in public), and then submit other people to it. Of course, the exact same can be said of children today.

But it is a self-fulfilling prophecy, isn't it? If dogs are not allowed anywhere, then they won't get trained how to behave...and you can always use the argument that they can't behave - but how were they supposed to learn? Service dogs in training can go anywhere. That's why they are calmer and more acclimated. It's not new.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I reality a slobernig kid is worse than most dogs in a cart.But I never see it here anyway.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:43 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times
I have no problem with any (well trained) dog in any type of store that doesn't sell food.
I have no problem with a small dog in a bag in any store including supermarkets and other food carrying stores. If the dog is in a bag what can it possibly do?

I do think having a big dog in a cart used for food is a bit much - but if the dog is in a bag in the cart.... who cares?

I love the idea of such a dog friendly city - Portland sounds wonderful to me!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...my older collie gets bathed 2 to 4 times a month (bc of a skin issue) and doesn't even acknowledge other dogs in public. She has never so much as snarled at anyone and is extremely sweet and gentle.

My younger collie is hell on wheels and I wouldn't take her anywhere she might jump and lick bc not all people like dogs...but this is a factor of her age and immaturity. We practice with her and she will get better.

But I agree that many people don't exercise good judgment. They just buy a dog as an accessory, don't bother training it properly (especially on how to act in public), and then submit other people to it. Of course, the exact same can be said of children today.

But it is a self-fulfilling prophecy, isn't it? If dogs are not allowed anywhere, then they won't get trained how to behave...and you can always use the argument that they can't behave - but how were they supposed to learn? Service dogs in training can go anywhere. That's why they are calmer and more acclimated. It's not new.
I do understand that there are wonderfully trained and groomed pets; however a pet dog is not NECESSARY for an able bodied person to fully function in public, while a SD is there so that a disabled person may do so.

I already have so much to struggle with in order to leave my home with some dignity and confidence that I really do not need to worry about dogs that out and about with the ability to completely ruin my SD. There have been instances where SDs have lost their nerve and confidence due to attacks from pets and/or humans; I could not bear losing my Freedom to such a situation!

ABs do not NEED their dog in public while DPs with trained SDs do; THAT is the difference!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:43 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
to the OP , did you ever consider that some of these dogs might be service dogs ? and let me remind you that it is illegal to boot someone from a public place that has a service dog and you will recognize those dogs from their vest they wear which clearly states that they are service dogs . I think you need to lighten your rather strong stance on dogs in stores period . I think you are ignorant of what is truly going on and need to educate yourself .

Old 03-19-2011, 09:26 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
to the OP , did you ever consider that some of these dogs might be service dogs ? and let me remind you that it is illegal to boot someone from a public place that has a service dog and you will recognize those dogs from their vest they wear which clearly states that they are service dogs . I think you need to lighten your rather strong stance on dogs in stores period . I think you are ignorant of what is truly going on and need to educate yourself .
The offensive dogs I have seen in stores and the situations referenced in the articles posted had NOTHING to do with service dogs. Not one poster here has stated that service dogs don't belong with their humans. We are talking about PETS. No service dog was helping my customer "pick out her sofa." It was a small, poorly behaved, cocker mixture -- who jumped, slobbered, and shed on the furniture that had to be cleaned when she left. Service dogs do NOT behave that way and I have never in my life seen a service dog PLACED IN A SUPERMARKET CART, which is the specific complaint in question.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 03-19-2011 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,911 times
Does anyone else here find it disturbing that there are adults out there who have more respect for a dog than they do for a child? Weird.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:45 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Whether it was dogs, kids, or other people, I think most stores now have the wipes to clean the cart...make sure you clean the seat, as well as the handle, and all the edges around...maybe they should have a buggy wash they all go through before being reused....

Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Does anyone else here find it disturbing that there are adults out there who have more respect for a dog than they do for a child? Weird.
Very weird. And when did all kids automatically become "snot-nosed"?

I'll take a snot-nosed kid over a slobbering, butt licking, snot-nosed dog any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness