Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 AM

30 posts, read 80,630 times

Advertisements

Is it difficult to find someone who will perform this procedure on someone who is 24 and does not have any children? I've spoken to 2 OBGYN's and both of them advised me against it.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 02:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
I suggest you find another means of birth control until you're at least 30, and ask your OBGYN then. This procedure is considered permanent (though it can *sometimes* be reversed, with difficulty and great risk of failure and complications and future difficulty getting pregnant), UNLESS there's a medical reason for you to never get pregnant.

Even though you might be absolutely positively 100% sure, without hesitation or doubt that you don't ever want children, ever...

you're still young enough physically, that you can change your mind without any medical adjustments needed. If you were to get your tubes tied now, and in ten years, be settled in a marriage to someone awesome and loving, and decide then that you want to finally start a family.. oh well. Sucks to be you.

Do yourself a huge favor, and stick to other means of birth control for now. Revisit the idea in five or six years.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 PM

30 posts, read 80,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I suggest you find another means of birth control until you're at least 30, and ask your OBGYN then. This procedure is considered permanent (though it can *sometimes* be reversed, with difficulty and great risk of failure and complications and future difficulty getting pregnant), UNLESS there's a medical reason for you to never get pregnant.

Even though you might be absolutely positively 100% sure, without hesitation or doubt that you don't ever want children, ever...

you're still young enough physically, that you can change your mind without any medical adjustments needed. If you were to get your tubes tied now, and in ten years, be settled in a marriage to someone awesome and loving, and decide then that you want to finally start a family.. oh well. Sucks to be you.

Do yourself a huge favor, and stick to other means of birth control for now. Revisit the idea in five or six years.

I am in a healthy relationship and I (we) dont believe in marriage. If I ever decide to have kids I will adopt as personally I think having a child is a selfish act (when there are so many needy children in the world).

Also, I've been on depo, implanon, and the pill and I want a permanent solution. I don't want to have to wait another 6 years dealing with the hassle/side-effects of bc and have been trying to find an OBGYN who will perform this procedure and Im finding it difficult.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
There are more side effects to tubal ligation than you might think. It's also not as effective as you'd believe, especially when it's done before you're 30. The chances of the tubes growing back are greater ten years after you have the procedure, and if the tubes regrow and you have a pregnancy, you have a one in three chance of having a tubal pregnancy.

I had my tubes tied when I had my second child, and I've had horrible menstrual cramps ever since. I've read about worse side effects though...do a little googling on it.

If your partner is sure he doesn't want children either, why doesn't he get a vasectomy? It's a minor procedure compared to tubal ligation, and doesn't carry the same risks. It's cheaper also.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 PM

Tubes regrow? I"ve never heard of such a thing. They don't make them shorter. They cauterize the ends. In layman's terms, they weld them shut. They used to sew them shut but now it's mostly done endoscopically with a laser through the edge of your bellybutton. They can reopen the ends, but there's risks with scar tissue preventing the egg from releasing further, and various other risks as well.

Edited to add, I've had horrible cramps ever since mine as well. I had that checked - turned out the scar tissue on the end of the right tube, grew up against a nerve that's very close to the muscles that contract when you have cramps. So when I have just normal cramps, the muscle contracts, hits the nerve, and BANG - excruciating, dagger-sharp, skull-splitting, knee-bending pain for around 20 minutes. Every month, until menopause. Not something you'd want to experience while you're driving on the highway in rush hour traffic.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
It shouldn't be impossible. I know a young, single, heterosexual man who got a vasectomy at that age. The best advice I can give you is to keep searching in your area.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM

As mentioned, vasectomies are more easily reversed than tubal ligations, and come with fewer risks for the procedure and for the reversal. Most doctors will not do a tubal ligation on a woman under age 30 unless there is a medical reason for doing it (such as a history of difficult pregnancies and miscarriage, where it could be dangerous for the woman to get pregnant again)

Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
I would REALLY do your research on tubals before you opt to have one done...at any age! Definitely have your SO look into a vasectomy as well which is more effective and carries less risk.

I have a few friends/relatives that have had tubals and they all regret the decision because of the H*LL that is their monthly cycle now. Two of them had tubals without having kids so pregnancy and childbirth was not a factor.

They all complain of very heavy, painful periods that are unpredictable. I know 3 of them are on birth control pills to control their periods which kind of defeats the purpose of having a tubal.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Tubes regrow? I"ve never heard of such a thing. They don't make them shorter. They cauterize the ends. In layman's terms, they weld them shut. They used to sew them shut but now it's mostly done endoscopically with a laser through the edge of your bellybutton. They can reopen the ends, but there's risks with scar tissue preventing the egg from releasing further, and various other risks as well.
Here's some info on it: Birth Control Permanent Methods Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Female Sterilization, Tubal Ligation on eMedicineHealth
Quote:
The cumulative 10-year failure rate with each method of tubal ligation is as follows: spring clip method is 3.7%, electrocoagulation is 2.5%, interval partial salpingectomy (partial removal of tubes) is 2%, silicone rubber bands is 2%, and postpartum salpingectomy (tubes cut after delivery) is 0.8%.
I've known people who it's happened to.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:39 AM

The numbers are totally different from the study I'm seeing; but regardless, my point is the same: tubes don't "grow back." The prodecure might fail..the egg might make it to its destination even though the tube has been shortened. But the tube isn't growing back, and your article doesn't suggest that they do. And that is -only- through interval partial salpingectomy or post-partum salpingectomy that this can happen - because those are the only two procedures that involve shortening or removing the tubes. The others involve spring clips (which can fall off), sutures (which can become loosened), coagulation/cauterization (which can rip), silicone bands (which could theoretically slip off)...none of these are tubes that are "growing back."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness