Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:26 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,966,813 times

Advertisements

So far, since 3 a.m., I've taken an Ambien and two Klonopin and nothing. So I guess I'll make a pot of coffee.

Took 25 mgs of seroquel night before last and that knocked me off my butt. IOW, when I had to go to the bathroom I was staggering like someone who'd had 16 drinks. This is not acceptable. I could not keep my eyes open or navigate my computer, but I did get back to sleep and for about 10 or 12 hours. At any rate, I have Spanish convo this a.m. and did not want to be wiped out, so I stuck with the Ambien and K, which don't even touch the issue.

I'm thinking about halving the already very small dose of seroquel to see if this helps. I'm also prescribed Zonegran. My mom says I have a Michael Jackson Dr. I am ok with the Klonopin for anxiety, but Ambien is worthless. Anyone else share my experienes?

Old 04-02-2011, 08:15 AM

9,296 posts, read 16,584,604 times
IMO you are over medicated. It is possible the various interactions of the drugs you are taking can be adding to the problem. I have had problems with sleeping and take 5 mg Ambien. At times it doesn't work, but it does have a rebound effect. IOW if you take it every night it will eventually keep you awake. I would look into another doctor for a second opinion.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,638,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
IMO you are over medicated. It is possible the various interactions of the drugs you are taking can be adding to the problem. I have had problems with sleeping and take 5 mg Ambien. At times it doesn't work, but it does have a rebound effect. IOW if you take it every night it will eventually keep you awake. I would look into another doctor for a second opinion.
Almost right, but not quite. If you are taking Ambien every night it CAN eventually keep you awake. This isn't always the case. I've been taking ambien every night for over three years, and it is the reason I am able to sleep. Without it, I can't fall asleep. With it, I can. It isn't normally used long-term, due to the tolerance risk. Short-term prescription of sleeping pills is great for short-term sleeping problems. But long-term sleeping problems require a long-term treatment. Fortunately, I've found Ambien to be effective. Not everyone does. And not everyone should be taking it long term. And most people who are taking it, should NOT be taking it along with other sleeping meds, or anti-psychotic meds, or hypnotics.

The OP is self-medicating, choosing which combination of her cache of drugs to take, mixing and matching at will. I totally agree she's overmedicated, but it's by choice on her part. Her other posts in other threads have made this clear. She should be getting specific instructions AND regular monitoring from her prescribing physician, and not from advice on the internet.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Almost right, but not quite. If you are taking Ambien every night it CAN eventually keep you awake. This isn't always the case. I've been taking ambien every night for over three years, and it is the reason I am able to sleep. Without it, I can't fall asleep. With it, I can. It isn't normally used long-term, due to the tolerance risk. Short-term prescription of sleeping pills is great for short-term sleeping problems. But long-term sleeping problems require a long-term treatment. Fortunately, I've found Ambien to be effective. Not everyone does. And not everyone should be taking it long term. And most people who are taking it, should NOT be taking it along with other sleeping meds, or anti-psychotic meds, or hypnotics.

The OP is self-medicating, choosing which combination of her cache of drugs to take, mixing and matching at will. I totally agree she's overmedicated, but it's by choice on her part. Her other posts in other threads have made this clear. She should be getting specific instructions AND regular monitoring from her prescribing physician, and not from advice on the internet.
Disagree. If I were given the right drug or drugs, there would be no need for self-medication. Oh, and I have gotten specific instructions, which were to take 25 mgs of seroquel for sleep, however, I won't bang into walls and become disoriented to get the job done.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:00 AM

And all I am looking for is SHARED experiences, not to be told I am doing X, Y, or Z when none of you are my Drs. Just wondering about your experiences. Anonchick, you are very fortunate the Ambien works for you. For me it does not. And I don't care if I combine it with whatever, it still does not work. And I am slightly tired and grouchy right now.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,638,372 times
Like I told you the last time you started a thread about your CHOICE to take a combination of drugs...

You aren't likely to find any shared experiences here. This forum is "health and wellness." Not "overmedicating on purpose because you don't like the dosages the doctor has prescribed for you."

Most people don't take seroquel and ambien and klonopin together. Not the sane ones who want to actually be healthy and well.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:10 AM

9,296 posts, read 16,584,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
And all I am looking for is SHARED experiences, not to be told I am doing X, Y, or Z when none of you are my Drs. Just wondering about your experiences. Anonchick, you are very fortunate the Ambien works for you. For me it does not. And I don't care if I combine it with whatever, it still does not work. And I am slightly tired and grouchy right now.
If Ambien doesn't work for you (and that is true for many people) that you shouldn't bother taking it.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Like I told you the last time you started a thread about your CHOICE to take a combination of drugs...

You aren't likely to find any shared experiences here. This forum is "health and wellness." Not "overmedicating on purpose because you don't like the dosages the doctor has prescribed for you."

Most people don't take seroquel and ambien and klonopin together. Not the sane ones who want to actually be healthy and well.
I don't take them together AnonChick. And, as an FYI, my Dr. has written me for 7 more months of Ambien PLUS a giant quantity of Seroquel, so you'd really have to ask him why. I don't know.

I would never take all at the same time unless I want to end up like Anna Nicole Smith.

You make too many assumptions and I cannot even converse with you on this topic.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
If Ambien doesn't work for you (and that is true for many people) that you shouldn't bother taking it.
Thank you, a normal response. I see my Dr. on the 19th and will ask him. Until then, I'll half the seroquel and continue with the Zonegran. I'll forget about the Ambien. And the Klonopin is something for Anxiety (although was prescribed at bedtime too and at three mgs per day and the standard dosage is 2 to 4 per day). I never exceed standard dosage and often don't even take one at night.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:29 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,733,345 times
Don't laugh at me for suggesting somthing simple, but what about taking melatonin? As long as you don't mind a few vivid dreams a night, it works pretty well and doesn't leave you feeling tired in the morning.

My dad takes Ambien and a bunch of other things, and his short-term memory is gone, hopefully just temporarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness