Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,062,260 times

Advertisements

My son has a field trip tomorrow and will be riding a tour bus for 2.5 hours (each way). He gets horribly car sick and I don't want him to be miserable on the bus and trip.

Dramamine doesn't work very well for him so my Ped suggested Benedryl which works wonders...but then he's typically groggy the rest of the day.

I'm wondering if Sea Bands will work so that he doesn't have the side-effects from the drugs. Has anyone used them or are there any other suggestions (I've already requested he sit in the very front seat so he can see out the front windshield)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 PM

665 posts, read 1,727,690 times
I've always given them to boat guests and they are pleasantly surprised at how well they work. Make sure that the button is placed where the instructions say. On the pinky side of the wrist just below the heel of the palm.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:46 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
mythbusters did a variety of tests on motion sickness devices - the best non-medical one they found was ginger

Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,082 times
My son had airsickness and the bands didn't work.
In fact the only thing that did was phenergan, but it knocked him out!

Tried all the ususal ones and then asked for phenergan, which I'd used when he was a baby once to help with jetlag after flying.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:28 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,062,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
My son had airsickness and the bands didn't work.
In fact the only thing that did was phenergan, but it knocked him out!

Tried all the ususal ones and then asked for phenergan, which I'd used when he was a baby once to help with jetlag after flying.
Hmmm, I have phenegren but it was prescribed to me, so I don't know what his dose would be. Even if his ped gave me an Rx I'm not sure I'd use it for this trip, not knowing the side effects. It is something to keep in mind when we travel to the mountains...those roads are killer for him!

I got a sea band but I may give him 1/2 a dose of benedryl with it just so he's comfortable but not overly groggy.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 PM

665 posts, read 1,727,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Hmmm, I have phenegren but it was prescribed to me, so I don't know what his dose would be. Even if his ped gave me an Rx I'm not sure I'd use it for this trip, not knowing the side effects. It is something to keep in mind when we travel to the mountains...those roads are killer for him!

I got a sea band but I may give him 1/2 a dose of benedryl with it just so he's comfortable but not overly groggy.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
yerrrrrr welcome

Old 01-03-2012, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 8,785 times
Motion sickness theory has already become clear as the greatest scientific fraud in the history of science.
It was a Frenchman, V. Gavreau, who, during the Sixties, first reported human health problems caused by exposure to infrasound. The symptoms resembled seasickness, accompanied by headache, nausea, and “dizziness” (???)which led to “deep nervous fatigue.”Wind Turbine Syndrome Articles (http://www.windturbinesyndrome.com/news - broken link).. es-france/ There are three main types of motion sickness that are caused by infrasound ,axis rotation and visually induced .They are all different in certain ways. All three types of motion sickness can lead to nausea. Axis rotation and visually induced can lead to dizziness and infrasound do not. For example,motion sickness produces a whole range of symptoms, of which nausea and vomiting are the most severe. http://www.aeromedix.com/aeromedix_arti (broken link) ... index.html Axis rotation motion sickness can lead to a spinning sensation and others do not. Infrasound or carsickness, seasickness and airsickness can lead to drowsiness and others do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness