Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

I have a very demanding job that requires me to work long hours. I usually get off work about 9 pm and I have an hour commute home.

During the beginning of the drive home I am still pretty "pumped" from work, but as the drive wears on, I proceed to get more and more sleepy. The last 10 or so miles I have a LOT of trouble staying awake.

I do all the standard "things" such as leave the window open (or this summer, crank up the air conditioning), and play music loud and sing a long and chew gum and all that stuff, but it is getting harder and harder to stay awake. To be honest, the past few nights I have been frankly surprised that I made it home without dozing off.

I do not eat anything before leaving work because I know that would only make it worse, so I have my dinner when I get home at 10 pm and then go to bed. I realize this is not a good option, but I know if I ate my dinner earlier it would only compound the sleepy problem. This schedule also prevents me from taking anything that would help keep me awake, since I would not be able to get to sleep when I get home.

Caffeine is useless. I have no sensitivity to it. I can drink four cups of coffee and go to sleep immediately. So, don't suggest that route. I get 7.5 hours a sleep a night, so I am not sleep deprived. I am simply dead tired from working 12 hours and that long drive in the dark makes things much worse.

I have thought about pulling over when I get sleepy and doing some physical exercise, but it is a VERY narrow two-lane highway, and there are no shoulders. The only place to pull over would be private driveways, and the idea of a car pulling into a driveway after 9 pm is not attractive to me as a lone woman. Not only do MOST of the rural homes along the way have large dogs on property, but I am thinking that quite a lot of people might meet me with a shot gun or other weapon. Not to mention the fact that there just might be some kind of psycho that would do me harm.

This is becoming a very big concern for me and I am desperate to try to find a solution. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,000,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

20yrsinBranson
Have you tried Red Bull? Or, you might actually need more sleep. I know I'm useless without my 9 hours.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Have you tried Red Bull? Or, you might actually need more sleep. I know I'm useless without my 9 hours.
I have tried Red Bull in the past and it doesn't do anything for me. I love the taste, but no zing.

I do need a lot of sleep - more than the average person, but I can usually function on 7.5 hours. There isn't any way for me to get more sleep, unfortunately. I have to be at work by 9 am and I don't get off until 9 pm with an hour commute either way. I get up in JUST enough time to take a shower and dress and then come home, eat, and go to bed.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I have tried Red Bull in the past and it doesn't do anything for me. I love the taste, but no zing.

I do need a lot of sleep - more than the average person, but I can usually function on 7.5 hours. There isn't any way for me to get more sleep, unfortunately. I have to be at work by 9 am and I don't get off until 9 pm with an hour commute either way. I get up in JUST enough time to take a shower and dress and then come home, eat, and go to bed.

20yrsinBranson
Wow- that sucks. I have no other useful (legal) suggestions for you. You live in Branson, right? What city do you work in? Springfield?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Wow- that sucks. I have no other useful (legal) suggestions for you. You live in Branson, right? What city do you work in? Springfield?
Yes, Springfield.

I have thought about trying to get a prescription for Provigil, but I am afraid that it will keep me awake when I get home (even though it is not supposed to affect sleep).

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, Springfield.

I have thought about trying to get a prescription for Provigil, but I am afraid that it will keep me awake when I get home (even though it is not supposed to affect sleep).

20yrsinBranson
That drive is better now that the highway is 4-laned all the way, but it's still a pretty long haul. I know there are very few options for employment in the Branson area... that pays a decent wage and is not seasonal. I understand why you have to make the drive everyday. A prescription med might be the answer. Have you talked to your dr about it?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
That drive is better now that the highway is 4-laned all the way, but it's still a pretty long haul. I know there are very few options for employment in the Branson area... that pays a decent wage and is not seasonal. I understand why you have to make the drive everyday. A prescription med might be the answer. Have you talked to your dr about it?
I don't go down highway 65. I drive through the country because I live west of Branson about 17 miles. I would be driving 30 miles out of my way if I went down highway 65.

We have a business in Springfield, that's why I have insane hours. Eventually, we will hire someone to help out, but for now, until we are established, we have to run the show ourselves. LOL Seven days a week!

There is no time available for me to visit a doctor. I am of the opinion that Provigil is not a controlled drug, so you can buy it over the internet, which is what I might have to do.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 AM

296 posts, read 543,024 times
How about a B12 vitamin supplement before your drive or midway?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Desert View Post
How about a B12 vitamin supplement before your drive or midway?
I'll try it. That might help a lot. Thanks.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I don't go down highway 65. I drive through the country because I live west of Branson about 17 miles. I would be driving 30 miles out of my way if I went down highway 65.

We have a business in Springfield, that's why I have insane hours. Eventually, we will hire someone to help out, but for now, until we are established, we have to run the show ourselves. LOL Seven days a week!

There is no time available for me to visit a doctor. I am of the opinion that Provigil is not a controlled drug, so you can buy it over the internet, which is what I might have to do.

20yrsinBranson
I didn't know that. I'd never heard of Provigil, so I thought it was prescription.

I understand about not taking the main highway. The "Branson" area has grown so much over the last twenty years!

I totally understand about starting a business too. My husband is in between his clock-job and his own business right now. There are some weeks he has to work 80 hrs just to get everything accomplished.

I wish you all the luck with your business and finding a solution to stay awake. That is scary to be so sleepy when you are behind the wheel. I would also recommend drinking plenty of water throughout the day and taking a multi-vitamin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness