Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 06:54 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times

Advertisements

There is a test out called lifeline screening which checks for Carotid Artery Disease. Has anyone had the tests and do you recommend it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 06:59 PM

703 posts, read 613,215 times
I've had it. yes, I would recommend it. It is fast, easy, non-invasive. The contact gel can be cold though.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:04 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
I've had it. yes, I would recommend it. It is fast, easy, non-invasive. The contact gel can be cold though.
Do you recall the cost?

Old 11-11-2018, 07:09 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Do you recall the cost?
Mine was free. Part of a cardiac outreach program.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:01 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times
Recommend them. The four basics: carotids, rhythm, abdominal aorta, and peripheral arteries. You can also have osteoporosis assessment and blood drawn for C-reactive protein, lipids, and sugar.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:59 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times
I've had both the Lifeline Screening carotid artery test and the same test administered by a hospital. They were exactly the same. The Lifeline Screening test gave me more detailed results than I got from the hospital.

Lifeline Screening charges about $135 for 5-6 different tests, of which the carotid artery screening is one. A couple of weeks after the screening you get, in the mail, the detailed results of all your screenings. (If there's a problem, the Lifeline Screening people will tell you right then and there.) I totally recommend the Lifeline Screenings. I've had them annually for the past 7-8 years and have even given them as gifts.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
What is involved in these tests since they are being described as non-invasive? How exactly do they perform the test?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:53 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
What is involved in these tests since they are being described as non-invasive? How exactly do they perform the test?
Essentially it's like a sonogram.

https://www.lifelinescreening.com/sc...what-to-expect

Old 11-13-2018, 09:14 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

I've had different tests done by Lifeline Screening. None were invasive at all. Many of the tests, including the carotid artery test, are ultrasounds.

In an ultrasound a technician applies a small amount of gel to the body part in question, after which he rubs that body part with a small hand-held device that emits sound waves and records the echo as the waves bounce off tissues, organs and blood cells.

A computer translates the echoed sound waves into a live-action image on a monitor. The carotid artery test uses an ultrasound which shows blood flowing through the arteries. The rate of blood flow is translated into a graph. A photo of the carotid artery test is attached below.

It's all very organized and the testing, even when I've had 7-8 tests scheduled, has never taken longer than 30 minutes. The tests I've had recently are:
Carotid Artery Disease
Atrial Fibrillation
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
Peripheral Arterial Disease
Osteoporosis
High Cholesterol Screening/Complete Lipid Panel
Body Mass Index

For the atrial fibrillation test, a technician attaches EKG electrodes to your arms and wrists and takes readings.

The peripheral arterial disease test compares the blood pressure in your legs to that in your arms. I removed my socks and shoes and pressure cuffs were placed around my upper arms and ankles. A small ultrasound device then measured the systolic blood pressure in my limbs.

I received a detailed 20-page test results within 2-3 weeks of taking the last set of tests.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone had the test for artery blockage?-carotid-artery-test.jpg  

Last edited by TFW46; 11-13-2018 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness