Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Apparently, I have arthritic knees and have developed a Baker's Cyst in the right one. This means that there is excessive fluid in the knee which presses on the nerve.
So, I'm taking some prednisone and got some shots, but what are the chances this will go away and not come back?
Has anyone else had this?
Hubby had one years ago and they doctor drained it, but told him, most likely it would come back. Well that was probably 20 years ago, it sure hasn't come back yet.

Now, with me, I have arthritic knees, one particular like you. I have shots every six months and they drain my knee. As you can see from another post I started about a week ago, I am about to opt for knee replacement. I will see my orthopedist in about 4 weeks for final decision.
ok. so now I see the post is years old, but I am still responding to the few who have posted recently. I need to pay more attention to the dates of the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 12:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,081 times
good to know that in some cases at least it doesn't come back.

my doctor did not mention option of draining it.

I'm going to find an orthopedist and get their opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hubby had one years ago and they doctor drained it, but told him, most likely it would come back. Well that was probably 20 years ago, it sure hasn't come back yet.

Now, with me, I have arthritic knees, one particular like you. I have shots every six months and they drain my knee. As you can see from another post I started about a week ago, I am about to opt for knee replacement. I will see my orthopedist in about 4 weeks for final decision.
ok. so now I see the post is years old, but I am still responding to the few who have posted recently. I need to pay more attention to the dates of the OP.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:20 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,081 times
This site
Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Symptoms - Viewers Share Their Medical Experiences - MedicineNet

is a compendium of comments by people who have it. I found it very useful, as my doctor gave me no info, did not even suggest using ice.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:56 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

I have bad knees; arthritic, and have had torn menisci in both knees, also had a popliteal cyst. Have had various types of treatments, but what has helped me the most is to have the series of 3 shots, each one a week apart, of either Synvisc or Euflexxa into the area behind the patella.

This is NOT a steroid treatment. The preparation provides a cushion for the degenerating knee parts and has been the best thing!

My insurance will cover for having the series every six months which is the recommended time period.

Nita, are these shots similar to yours? Or are you having the steroid shots? If you haven't tried Synvisc or Euflexxa, I'd encourage your looking into the possibility of having them.

Here's more information: Euflexxa Injections and Synvisc

I've had both brands and the Euflexxa has worked better for me than the Synvisc.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:30 PM

5 posts, read 14,689 times
I deal with this stuff as part of my work. I can't tell you the number of times I've come across people who do the wrong exercises or move the wrong way and they undo everything they've accomplished. It's not uncommon that it happens under the direction of a PT too.

It's really important to respect the pain and not push yourself. I saw comments about steroids and NSAIDS and generally we tell people that's a very bad idea - especially steroids - because it masks the pain without treating the underlying injury. This leads to all too frequent reinjury.

The key is to respect the pain and deal with the underlying issue. Remember that the Baker's cyst is just a symptom of the problem and you want to treat the source more than they symptom.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:45 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCWOOD View Post
I deal with this stuff as part of my work. I can't tell you the number of times I've come across people who do the wrong exercises or move the wrong way and they undo everything they've accomplished. It's not uncommon that it happens under the direction of a PT too.

It's really important to respect the pain and not push yourself. I saw comments about steroids and NSAIDS and generally we tell people that's a very bad idea - especially steroids - because it masks the pain without treating the underlying injury. This leads to all too frequent reinjury.

The key is to respect the pain and deal with the underlying issue. Remember that the Baker's cyst is just a symptom of the problem and you want to treat the source more than they symptom.
I'm inquiring for a friend with BC and what are treating the source...who has had some good results ridding themselves of BC's....

Do they eventually go away, dissolve?

I was talking here about a gangleion cyst I had on my wrist for decades and looked at it recently and it was gone, flat as a pancake.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-30-2018 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness