Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 08:37 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,827 times

Advertisements

Hi all.........First time in the health forum and thought I would take this oportunity to inquire about healthy ways to deal with this disease.
Such as, diet, a possible Chiropractor and so on.
My husband suffers from this disease and has not much energy.]
I'm trying to convince him to excersise and eat right.
Recently, someone mentioned to me that he should see a nurtrionist and chiropractor.
A chiroprator may be covered by his insurance but I doubt a nutrionist would be.

So I am trying to find out on my own what foods he should eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 10:38 AM

72,413 posts, read 18,200,999 times
My dad passed away from Alzheimer's and Parkinson's last December.
We had physical therapy for him,it helped. He stayed home,we had 2 helpers 24 hours a day,it was hard on my mom.Married for 64 years,great loving relationship.
Eating was healthy,no salt,more veggies.and lots of love

Old 10-06-2007, 11:09 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Hi all.........First time in the health forum and thought I would take this oportunity to inquire about healthy ways to deal with this disease.
Such as, diet, a possible Chiropractor and so on.
My husband suffers from this disease and has not much energy.]
I'm trying to convince him to excersise and eat right.
Recently, someone mentioned to me that he should see a nurtrionist and chiropractor.
A chiroprator may be covered by his insurance but I doubt a nutrionist would be.

So I am trying to find out on my own what foods he should eat.
There's been alot of research of Parkinsons and Co-Q10 as that helps the Dopamine Cells and the Neuronal Synapses work better. Here's a couple of sites with Nutritional and Clinical Trials/Research info....

Parkinson's Disease: Online References For Health Concerns

The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research

Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
My dad passed away from Alzheimer's and Parkinson's last December.
We had physical therapy for him,it helped. He stayed home,we had 2 helpers 24 hours a day,it was hard on my mom.Married for 64 years,great loving relationship.
Eating was healthy,no salt,more veggies.and lots of love
Thanks Dragonten,

I pulled up loads of info on the net concerning parkisons. Will contact a chiropractor and see if our insurance covers this.
Also,
In researching, I'm going to put together a diet. Throw out all salt and sugar and add more protiens and veggies/fruit.
My hubby is only 63 and has had this for the past 5 years that we know of.

He coughs constantly and we just found out this has to do with the parkisons.
Also,
last weekend, he was choking in a restaurant and thank God some new the H manuver.
I'm going to learn this myself as soon as possible.

Would love to hear of other parkisons stories and info. Finding a support group is hard.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:51 PM

72,413 posts, read 18,200,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Thanks Dragonten,

I pulled up loads of info on the net concerning parkisons. Will contact a chiropractor and see if our insurance covers this.
Also,
In researching, I'm going to put together a diet. Throw out all salt and sugar and add more protiens and veggies/fruit.
My hubby is only 63 and has had this for the past 5 years that we know of.

He coughs constantly and we just found out this has to do with the parkisons.
Also,
last weekend, he was choking in a restaurant and thank God some new the H manuver.
I'm going to learn this myself as soon as possible.

Would love to hear of other parkisons stories and info. Finding a support group is hard.
There are probably support groups,go to your doctor's hospital and post an anoucement on a support group.You might want to start one yourself good luck

Old 10-06-2007, 10:45 PM

417 posts, read 1,282,184 times
About the nutritionist, check to see if insurance will cover it if the doctor writes a recommendation to see one. I have diabetes and my doctor wrote a letter to my insurance recommending I attend diabetic education classes which also had a one-on-one counseling session with a nutritionist. I paid nothing because the insurance company approved it.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:57 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Just thought i'd add this report out yesterday (Biological Pshychiatry Dec 15)about Green Tea protecting Dopamine Cells. I had to laugh as they show Green Teas Polyphenols doing a great job on this yet the lead Doctor wants for Drug Companies to make Green Tea Polyphenols into a drug to be administered. Sounds like some of our pro drug company posters on here.

Anyway another good report on Green Tea.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1213101406.htm

Old 05-04-2011, 02:09 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,645 times
This is some hard crp to watch any of your relatives go through...

Expecially when the person it's happening to, use to be so strong, mighty, and powerful...

What the final stages of this dreaded condition does to people is incredible...or I should say horrific...

Their minds still function, but nothing else does...

Their body seizes up...stops moving...like becomes frozen...

But eyes can still move...but they can't talk...even to talk takes an incredible amount of energy that often they can't even muster...

It really sucks watching this happen to someone you use to know as being so powerful...even if your relationship wasn't all so well when they were whole...it still sucks to watch it happen...

Cause after all, they are a part of you, part of your beginning...

When it all concludes, not sure how it will blah blah such and such...just not sure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness