Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 42,555 times

Advertisements

Any ideas what it might be? I am thinking hives, but it's been almost two weeks now and still hasn't gone away. It is a little itchy and hasn't spread, but is slightly raised. It's also no fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Guess that rash!-photo-129.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cait9586 View Post
Any ideas what it might be? I am thinking hives, but it's been almost two weeks now and still hasn't gone away. It is a little itchy and hasn't spread, but is slightly raised. It's also no fun.
If it itches, could be fungal. From the photo, it's hard to tell, but are there any little red dots outside the area where most of the rash is? Fungal skin infections tend to have a raised edge and an area in the center that clears up - thus the term "ringworm."

Also, have you come into contact with anything you might be allergic to?

A bacterial infection would be more likely to be tender than itchy.

Have you used any over the counter products on it?

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 11-09-2010 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 11-09-2010, 08:12 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,412 times
I had a bacterial infection that looked kind of like that. It wouldn't go away on its own (I think mine lasted more than a month), but when I started swabbing it with hydrogen peroxide, it went away after a few days. And it was super itchy.

On that area of your body, bacterial or fungal infections can be common. It's warm, it's moist, stuff can get trapped there.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:18 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,789,986 times
my vote is for shingles

Old 11-10-2010, 07:05 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,641,594 times
It's not ringworm, ringworm has a very specific circle to it, often mistaken for the bite of a lymes infected tick.
Plus, ringworm is VERY itchy.

I'd say maybe a reaction to new detergent or soap or something, kind of a random place to have a rash.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
my vote is for shingles

Not likely. Shingles produces blisters and is really painful.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
It's not ringworm, ringworm has a very specific circle to it, often mistaken for the bite of a lymes infected tick.
Plus, ringworm is VERY itchy.

I'd say maybe a reaction to new detergent or soap or something, kind of a random place to have a rash.
Actually, not all skin fungal infections produce the typical ring. The photo is not clear enough to tell whether the area of "central clearing" is there or not.

See here for some pictures (caution --- some are not for the faint of heart! )

Ringworm Picture from UI Dermatology : Tinea corporis (Hardin MD / uIowa.edu)

Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM

523 posts, read 3,804,854 times
can't really tell from the picture, but i'm also pretty certain it's not shingles - not only does it not look (or sound) at all like shingles, but from the area affected (i.e. it is not an area of skin supplied by a single spinal nerve - which would be the case in shingles), you can pretty much rule that out.

as rashes in general go, that is not at all an uncommon location to have one - it could be eczema, or atopic dermatitis.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:57 PM

889 posts, read 2,712,357 times
Have you ever had that before? My son gets a rash in the crook of his elbow every winter. We have tried everything for it. Last year, I happened upon the cure: I mixed half Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (available at health food stores) and half water into a squirt bottle. Rest your arm on a towel. Squirt liberally, and air dry. It was noticeably better the next morning, but we continued spraying it several times a day for a week. Best wishes! I think it was fungal or eczema.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:36 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,726 times
My first impression is ringworm or some type of fungal infection. If it was from a detergent it wouldn't just be at the elbow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness