Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 12:03 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,276 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with PVC's(premature ventricular contracts), to me it feels like my heart skips a beat but I guess it actually adds an extra beat. My doctor told me the second possibility is PAF(paroxysmal atrial fibrillation) which I believe would require surgery. He determined all of this without an electrocardiogram because we pay our own insurance and have it for major medical. He put me on toprol-xl to see if my heart will regulate. He also drew blood for a few different tests but they aren't back yet. Anyway, if anyone has gone through anything like this please let me know what you've discovered. I had taken Adrenal Stress End pills before all of this happened and I'm concerned with the fact that none of the doctors feel the need to test my adrenal gland hormone's, or my pituitary or anything. I wanted to find out what was wrong with me, not just take a pill to make the symptoms stop. BTW I'm a 32 year old white female. Getting frustrated in Wyo......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 12:27 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,439 times
STOP......................... don't take any medicine especially without the EKG.
PVCs are a symptom of low magnesium/calcium levels. This can be caused by caffiene or alcohol or just sweating a lot. If it occurs after eating high gluten food (wheat/barley/rye) you may have icoeliac, an intolerance to gluton. This is causing your natural pacemaker to stop and reset, which is basically what PVCs is. Too much sugar will cause it too.

This is a very, very common thing many people have it but don't even know.
Some say that burping stops it (don't know why)

You can buy a supplement from a vitamin store and try it there are no side effects and it's real hard to take too much. Calcium 500 mg, magnesium 250mg and keep your potassium up too with bananas or a supplement if you don't like bananas. Stay away from Gatorade as this does contain potassium but has way too much sugar.

If there is not a history of heart problems in the family then I don't think you should worry, but get an EKG soon and google PVCsyou'll feel better.

One other thing, thinking about PVCs can trigger them sometimes.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:42 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
I was diagnosed with PVC's(premature ventricular contracts), to me it feels like my heart skips a beat but I guess it actually adds an extra beat. My doctor told me the second possibility is PAF(paroxysmal atrial fibrillation) which I believe would require surgery. He determined all of this without an electrocardiogram because we pay our own insurance and have it for major medical. He put me on toprol-xl to see if my heart will regulate. He also drew blood for a few different tests but they aren't back yet. Anyway, if anyone has gone through anything like this please let me know what you've discovered. I had taken Adrenal Stress End pills before all of this happened and I'm concerned with the fact that none of the doctors feel the need to test my adrenal gland hormone's, or my pituitary or anything. I wanted to find out what was wrong with me, not just take a pill to make the symptoms stop. BTW I'm a 32 year old white female. Getting frustrated in Wyo......
Quit smoking (if you do) and cut out caffeine. STOP the OTC "stress end tabs" - can cause your heart to do really weird stuff - like skip and on occasion, stop, and let the doc know about it. Not sure why no EKG, but s/he may not have thought it indicated at the time. Probably drew labs that would give a general overall picture of what is happening in the bod, and will delve deeper as the tests indicate - but how do you know that s/he's NOT testing for adrenals, etc.? S/he may put you on a 24h monitor, but these are really questions to ask at the follow-up visit when the labs come back. Do not take anything, OTC or otherwise, that your HCP has not approved while on the Toprol! Good luck to you!

Old 08-02-2007, 11:14 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,276 times
I had an EKG twice when I went into the ER, it was normal. I'm not on a 24 hour monitor because they're so speratic. I don't smoke, I quit drinking caffeine five weeks ago, along with all alcohol. Also, I only took the adrenal pills for three weeks, all of this started three weeks after I quit taking them. He did put me on a really low dose of toprol which made me feel better about it.

How long does it take for the calcium, magnesium and potassium supplements to work? I was taking all of these along with a really good diet and still was having PVC's. I drink only water and soy milk, I don't eat any trans fats, fried foods, artificial ingredients, preservatives, fast food, white bread, organic when possible, I eat lean meat, veggies - 2 to 3 servings a day, fruit - 2 to 3 servings a day, whole grain - bread, pasta, etc. And try to go for a walk every night. I'm not sure what more I can do to make my body healthy. I think it will take time for all of this to take effect. So I'm thinking take the toprol and continue being a health nut and hopefully eventually my body will get back to normal.

You know I prayed that God would help me get it together, as far as my diet and exercise and priorities are concerned. I think I will be more specific when I pray from now on. Maybe I needed the bejeezits scared out of me to get me on the right track......just a thought.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:16 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
I'm not sure you are getting the whole story here. If you have PAF or frequent PVCs, it's immediately visible on an EKG and easy to recognise. If your EKGs were normal how would your doc know what you have? There is no blood work that will indicate you have PVCs or PAF. Blood work would indicate abnormal electrolyte levels if the proper tests were ordered.

Don't even think about quitting that toprol-xl. You have to come down off it gradually over time. Toprol-xl is a beta blocker usually prescribed for high blood pressure, angina, or heart failure.

I urge you to get a second opinion from a proper cardiologist. Heart problems need to addressed immediately by a highly qualified professional. You need to be your own best advocate. Read and learn!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:10 AM

Don't let the last post scare you. PVCs are not serious.

I noticed that you drink soy milk Many people are allergic to soy. I also noticed that you eat grains and pasta. I mentioned in my last post that PVCs are a common reaction to gluten. A great proportion of people are sensitive to gluten (coeliac) and there is a long list of adverse reactions. For your own sake stop eating wheat , barley, rye and other gluten containing products as an experiment.

Please stop worrying and getting stressed about it. The best thing you can do is learn by reading different articles on the Internet. I guarantee you will never see anything that says that this malady is dangerous.

Drink lots of water and keep taking calcium and magnesium.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I'm not sure you are getting the whole story here. If you have PAF or frequent PVCs, it's immediately visible on an EKG and easy to recognise. If your EKGs were normal how would your doc know what you have? There is no blood work that will indicate you have PVCs or PAF. Blood work would indicate abnormal electrolyte levels if the proper tests were ordered.

Don't even think about quitting that toprol-xl. You have to come down off it gradually over time. Toprol-xl is a beta blocker usually prescribed for high blood pressure, angina, or heart failure.

I urge you to get a second opinion from a proper cardiologist. Heart problems need to addressed immediately by a highly qualified professional. You need to be your own best advocate. Read and learn!
PAF and PVCs are two completely different things.

PVCs come and go so if the contractions aren't manifesting at the time of the test the readings will show normal.

I'm sure you knew that but I wanted to clarify.

PS Topral doesn't do a thing for PVCs except maybe stop any headaches which are usually caused by the stress of having the PVCs.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
Of course beta blockers are used for PVCs. However, a BIG concern is that a doctor would actually put a person on this class of drug without doing an EKG. There ARE contraindications for using beta blockers, asthma, heart blocks, etc. Visit a cardiologist who will know what to tell you (education on irritating substances to delete from your lifestyle) and who will treat you properly. An event monitor over 72 hours can pick them up, especially if the EKG shows nothing, which is frequently the case. Rarely, PVCs can be indicative of underlying heart disease, but mostly viewed as benign if not irritating problem, especially in young females. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Of course beta blockers are used for PVCs. However, a BIG concern is that a doctor would actually put a person on this class of drug without doing an EKG. There ARE contraindications for using beta blockers, asthma, heart blocks, etc. Visit a cardiologist who will know what to tell you (education on irritating substances to delete from your lifestyle) and who will treat you properly. An event monitor over 72 hours can pick them up, especially if the EKG shows nothing, which is frequently the case. Rarely, PVCs can be indicative of underlying heart disease, but mostly viewed as benign if not irritating problem, especially in young females. Good luck!
Lil............. I know that beta blockers are used for PVCs. I was just commenting that they don't work.

Sometimes doctors feel that that have to give a patient something, and the pharm.rep. told them that this is a good thing to give patients to treat PVCs.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
I had an EKG twice when I went into the ER, it was normal. I'm not on a 24 hour monitor because they're so speratic. I don't smoke, I quit drinking caffeine five weeks ago, along with all alcohol. Also, I only took the adrenal pills for three weeks, all of this started three weeks after I quit taking them. He did put me on a really low dose of toprol which made me feel better about it..........Maybe I needed the bejeezits scared out of me to get me on the right track......just a thought.
EF:
#1. Please do not stop / start any Rx / OTC meds without speaking with your provider and keep the appointment for follow-up. No appointment? - make one when the labs are in and talk to your provider. S/he may agree that a cardiology consult might be in order.

#2. Many people have "spells" when they feel their heart speed up. Some are "symptomatic" - that is - they get dizzy, short of breath, those sorts of things. Some are "asymptomatic" - that is they do not experience any of the above. Your choice to continue your exercise program and weight management in addition to meds is a prudent choice - talk to your provider.

#3. Sometimes the OTC "stress pills" can cause an underlying problem to manifest itself. That's the rationale for removing ephedrine from the shelves.
Be sure your provider knows you took them - it may change your plan of care.

#4. Be very careful taking healthcare / medicine advice from people on the 'net. And very few providers decide on therapy based on what drug reps say; many refuse to see them and be "detailed".

Bottom line: See your healthcare provider and establish a plan of care! Best wishes! Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness