U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 01:28 PM

7,810 posts, read 17,856,567 times

Advertisements

Just a quick note to let you all know that everything went smoothly with my cataract surgery on May 9th. My previously really bad right eye is now my good eye. The distance vision in my right eye is crystal clear, though I may need glasses for reading and seeing the computer screen clearly. I can make out the screen, but it's a bit fuzzy. Maybe that will improve on it's own. It does seem better today than it did two day ago.

The difference in my vision is dramatic! Now that I've been thru it, the surgery was not that big a deal, though I was pretty anxious when I first sat on the gurney and had the realization...THIS IS IT! But shortly thereafter they attached an IV with an infusion that made EVERYTHING OK! I was definitely in an altered state of consciousness, though I was able to communicate with the surgical team. I had a pretty cool color show during the procedure. I was in and out of the day surgery office in about an hour.

I'm glad my right eye is taken care of. I'm sure I'll be nervous again when I get back on the table for the left eye in two weeks. But now that I know what it entails, it doesn't seem as threatening as it did the first time around. AND, the result is worth it. The only drawback is that I can now see some lines in my face that were not apparent when my vision was compromised. My vanity is alive and well!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 PM

13,251 posts, read 40,148,955 times
Congratulations! I've always been terrified of the -idea- of eye surgery. I can't even get through a full eye exam (not the ones from the eyeglass shop, I mean from the eye doctor) without freaking out when they put that light beam right up close against your eyeball.

I didn't realize they let patients be sedated for surgery. This sounds a lot more tolerable. I just wish they'd sedate me when I have my eye exam once every 3 years :0

Congrats again, and don't worry about the lines. Think of them as you, in high definition!

Old 05-13-2011, 05:23 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,059,949 times
I had both of mine done in 2009, 2 weeks apart. What amazed me was when I looked in the mirror one day and realized I had BLUE eyes again!

After it was all over and done with I was mad that they made me wait as long as they did to get them removed. My eyesight was so bad it scared me to drive and my job required a lot of traveling and I had fussed and fussed for at least 2 years that I couldn't see to read road signs or to drive at night and I was just ignored. Only when I angrily made an appointment telling them something was WRONG and I was coming in and NOT leaving until they found out what was wrong and fix it, did I get results! At that appointment, the doctor didn't even examine me, she just said it was the cataracts and it was time to remove them..

Also, I was warned a film could grow back over my eyes, usually in about 5 years and I would think the cataracts were coming back but it wouldn't be cataracts, it would just be a film that they could easily deal with and was nothing to remover in the office with instant results.. Well, the one on my left eye grew back in a year and had to be removed and once that was removed, I could clearly see, the one on my right eye was there too, just not as bad as the one on the left eye. I am due to have that one removed soon, at the 2 year mark of my surgery.

That is removed with a laser and is fascinating to watch and the results are immediate and you immediately see clearly again... There is NO pain at all involved in that procedure so if you need that done at some time, it's no big deal, simple as a eye exam, nothing more.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:17 AM

9,101 posts, read 15,386,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post

Just a quick note to let you all know that everything went smoothly with my cataract surgery on May 9th. My previously really bad right eye is now my good eye. The distance vision in my right eye is crystal clear, though I may need glasses for reading and seeing the computer screen clearly. I can make out the screen, but it's a bit fuzzy. Maybe that will improve on it's own. It does seem better today than it did two day ago.

The difference in my vision is dramatic! Now that I've been thru it, the surgery was not that big a deal, though I was pretty anxious when I first sat on the gurney and had the realization...THIS IS IT! But shortly thereafter they attached an IV with an infusion that made EVERYTHING OK! I was definitely in an altered state of consciousness, though I was able to communicate with the surgical team. I had a pretty cool color show during the procedure. I was in and out of the day surgery office in about an hour.

I'm glad my right eye is taken care of. I'm sure I'll be nervous again when I get back on the table for the left eye in two weeks. But now that I know what it entails, it doesn't seem as threatening as it did the first time around. AND, the result is worth it. The only drawback is that I can now see some lines in my face that were not apparent when my vision was compromised. My vanity is alive and well!

Glad to hear that Cosmic Wizard! I know you said the cataracts were pretty progressed and you didn't want to wait for the natural supplements to work. However I just learned about something else available in the U.K. which I guess they can ship here called "Bright Eyes" with L-carnosine. I don't know anyone who has taken it but the testimonials on the website seem impressive. But even this takes months to work.

I'm giving my cat Serrapeptase and Homeopathic Cataract drops. It might be nearly impossible to give him Bright Eyes because they might sting and you are supposed to keep the lids shut for 30 seconds afterwards. He's a smart cat and can do a lot of tricks but I haven't taught him to "shut your eyes" yet.

Cataract treatment for people & pets, NAC eye drops, Ethos Bright Eyes Products

Carnosine Eye Drops Brite Eyes III from DR Vitamin Solutions - ships direct from Life Extension Foundation, LEF

There is an interview on a UK talk show on YouTube with the developer that also shows part of a cataract operation if anyone wants to see it which you can probably find if you search YouTube for Bright Eyes, Cataracts, Richard and Judy Show.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:16 AM

7,810 posts, read 17,856,567 times
Hi Emily.....You already know that I STRONGLY prefer natural healing methods to the conventional medical practices of drugs and surgery. I used a variety of natural means, including the eye drop mentioned above, consistently..day in and day out for more than a year, with no perceivable improvement in my vision. In fact my vision kept getting worse. So, with the utmost reluctance, I decided that it ws in my best interest to have the surgery performed. It was not something that I rushed into. I know in my heart that I gave the natural healing modalities a sufficinet time to deliver results, and this time they did not do so.

BUT, and this is an important BUT in my mind...I truly believe that all the time and energy I gave to the natural healing methods greatly contributed to a successful outcome of the surgery. And I strongly encourage anyone faced with the likelihood of cataract surgery in the future to first exhaust every natural healing method that comes to your attention prior to having the surgery. Especially if your cataracts are in an early stste of development, you may be able to reverse the cataract growth and not require surgery. The cataract in my Right eye was already well developed when it was initially diaganosed as such. At that point, the natural methods were apparently too litttle...too late. I wish they would have worked for me, but in truth they did not. But I have no regrets about the time, money, and energy I invested in them, and I have no qualms about recommending natural healing approaches as the initial step in dealing with cataracts.

I will also say that I have no regrets about having the surgery performed. I am thus far very pleased with the result. The transformation in my vision is quite dramatic. My left eye which was my good eye, is now my crappy eye. The vision in my right eye with the Crystal Lens inserted is similar to the way things look with 3D glasses. It's pretty cool....so much depth perception. Everything is so crystal clear, like HD TV. I swear that the National Park service at the Colorado Nationl Monument was out there cleaning the yellowish, grey muck from the rock formations while I was on the table. I can see the brilliant reds again and all of the striations and shapes of the rocks. During the 5 years I've lived in Grand Junction - CO, I've never seen the monument this clearly. I can hardly imagine what it will be like to see clearly with BOTH eyes.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 05-14-2011 at 09:31 AM..

Old 05-14-2011, 09:53 AM

9,101 posts, read 15,386,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Hi Emily.....You already know that I STRONGLY prefer natural healing methods to the conventional medical practices of drugs and surgery. I used a variety of natural means, including the eye drop mentioned above, consistently..day in and day out for more than a year, with no perceivable improvement in my vision. In fact my vision kept getting worse. So, with the utmost reluctance, I decided that it ws in my best interest to have the surgery performed. It was not something that I rushed into. I know in my heart that I gave the natural healing modalities a sufficinet time to deliver results, and this time they did not do so.

BUT, and this is an important BUT in my mind...I truly believe that all the time and energy I gave to the natural healing methods greatly contributed to a successful outcome of the surgery. And I strongly encourage anyone faced with the likelihood of cataract surgery in the future to first exhaust every natural healing method that comes to your attention prior to having the surgery. Especially if your cataracts are in an early stste of development, you may be able to reverse the cataract growth and not require surgery. The cataract in my Right eye was already well developed when it was initially diaganosed as such. At that point, the natural methods were apparently too litttle...too late. I wish they would have worked for me, but in truth they did not. But I have no regrets about the time, money, and energy I invested in them, and I have no qualms about recommending natural healing approaches as the initial step in dealing with cataracts.

I will also say that I have no regrets about having the surgery performed. I am thus far very pleased with the result. The transformation in my vision is quite dramatic. My left eye which was my good eye, is now my crappy eye. The vision in my right eye with the Crystal Lens inserted is similar to the way things look with 3D glasses. It's pretty cool....so much depth perception. Everything is so crystal clear, like HD TV. I swear that the National Park service at the Colorado Nationl Monument was out there cleaning the yellowish, grey muck from the rock formations while I was on the table. I can see the brilliant reds again and all of the striations and shapes of the rocks. During the 5 years I've lived in Grand Junction - CO, I've never seen the monument this clearly. I can hardly imagine what it will be like to see clearly with BOTH eyes.
Did you ever talk to a good Naturopath? Often even if you take the right supplements, you may not be taking enough (and you often need to take a combination). You often have to take a .lot more than is recommended on the bottle for a therapeutic dose to see change.

In any event, glad to hear the story has a happy ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness