Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:23 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LMAO at the title of this thread. Although I'd rather not pause at all lest someone throw a slipcover over me.

I'm 52 and so far the only symptom I'm having is hot flashes (and they never come when I need them, like in the dead of winter), which seem to be triggered by stress, and by strenuous exercise. Don't get near me at the gym! LOL

My cycle has gotten shorter (23-24 days) and the flow a little lighter. This has been going on for about three or four years with no changes.

Oh, yeah, and then there's those mood swings ... I can get awfully cranky at times; again, usually triggered by stress.

My doc told me a small shot of soy milk every day would help with the hot flashes, but I'm too scatterbrained to remember. Maybe that's another symptom ... *sigh*
I started eating soy nut butter and jelly sandwiches when I was having hot flashes. and actually came to prefer it to peanut butter. You could eat boca soy burgers or "chicken" patties too. Once you put some condiments on them they're not bad.
Garden, I got Graves' disease early in perimenopause, went on thyroid lowering meds for a time till it calmed down enough to do radioactive iodine. Gradually over the last 8 years my thyroid levels have lowered to where I'm on .075 mg synthroid. I saw you post somewhere you were getting too much thyroid hormone, I hope you've got that worked out better. When I was hyperthyroid I was a nutcase, ready to jump out of my skin half the time. I was just staring to get hot flashes and such then, I can't imagine what it would have been like to deal with full blown menopausal symptoms and hyperthyroid at the same time. And the fluctuating levels when they're getting things under control is no picnic. Hang in there! (Hugs!)
Edit: I wrote the above before I saw your post. August is a long time before you can see the endocrinologist! Sounds like you need a new family doctor. Gee, I hope you can get her to get you in sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 08:36 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
I'm 58 now and post-menopause, but peri-menopause started for me when I was 38. I had an enormous amount of stress during a 10 year period of time, abusive marriage and divorce, caring for dying mother, 2 year legal battle, single mother, lay-off from job, etc. which I believe all started the process. But anyway, it began with heavy, painful periods every 2 weeks or so. Then flooding and anemia, mood changes, and hot flashes. This lasted about 2 years, then my periods began to taper off and came every other month or so and were much lighter. After 5 years, at age 43, they suddenly stopped completely. Woohoo!

The doctors wanted to put me on HRT, but it wasn't for me personally. So I went to a Doctor of Chinese Medicine who prescribed Black Cohosh (Remifemin). It's over-the-counter medicine now. Worked great for me. No more hot flashes and big mood swings. I weaned myself off of it 5 years later and have had no symptoms since. I never had any thyroid problems.

To nomoresnow: I can so relate to the problem of not finding the right words. Thank goodness my husband understands my problem so well that he can finish my sentences for me. lol

We have some good laughs about my words. I have my own language.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:42 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
Thank Gawd we have a sense of humor about it, right Beth??

Old 05-19-2011, 08:58 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Thank Gawd we have a sense of humor about it, right Beth??
Yep. I think finding the humor in things makes life much more fun.

Menopause is puberty in reverse. Remember all those raging hormones, mood changes, and pimples?
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif (broken link)

Old 05-19-2011, 09:02 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,032 times
ENT does address the thyroid. But other then that, menopause no. I just returned from calling my GP's office and telling the receptionist I need help and man, I will not stop calling until I get it. Yes, I need a new GP, but what to do in the meantime when I need help now? There is a woman in my ballet class who is an MD and I am asking her tonight, if she can recommend a good GP who is accepting new patients. You have no idea how difficult it is here to find a good doc. But I will, darn it, I will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I've no idea why your seeing an ENT for hormones an ENT is Ear Nose and Throat doc. You need to start looking for a female gyno, start talking to friends and see who they use, also, join the thyroid forum and see if they know of anyone in your area, you might get lucky and find one who can manage ALL your hormone therapy, it's important that who ever it is works togeather with thyroid and female hormone's...they have to work together in order for it all to work...I found out the hard way. I have a great primary doc who happens to be a man but very empathetic and is open to anything I bring him as far as research is concerned. He and my female gyno are both DO's not MD's and it has made a huge difference. In fact my female gyno was a nurse before going to med school.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:05 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I started eating soy nut butter and jelly sandwiches when I was having hot flashes. and actually came to prefer it to peanut butter. You could eat boca soy burgers or "chicken" patties too. Once you put some condiments on them they're not bad.
Garden, I got Graves' disease early in perimenopause, went on thyroid lowering meds for a time till it calmed down enough to do radioactive iodine. Gradually over the last 8 years my thyroid levels have lowered to where I'm on .075 mg synthroid. I saw you post somewhere you were getting too much thyroid hormone, I hope you've got that worked out better. When I was hyperthyroid I was a nutcase, ready to jump out of my skin half the time. I was just staring to get hot flashes and such then, I can't imagine what it would have been like to deal with full blown menopausal symptoms and hyperthyroid at the same time. And the fluctuating levels when they're getting things under control is no picnic. Hang in there! (Hugs!)
Edit: I wrote the above before I saw your post. August is a long time before you can see the endocrinologist! Sounds like you need a new family doctor. Gee, I hope you can get her to get you in sooner.
Work in progress today. I have my brain back today and I will NOT stop calling this GP's office until I get some help. I need to get in to see the Endo like yesterday, and my OB/GYN. ACH! Medicine today! Once upon a time, you could go to ONE doctor! And I am reading the links her in this thread. Imagine going through menopause and full blown hyperthyroid at the same time? Why do you think I am going crazy?

Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I'm hoping soon enough mine will start so it is closer to end.

So you don't have to be on HRT, right? I'm liking Beth56's remedy of Black Cohosh (Remifemin). I'm sure it all depends on my body??

I'm definitely going to ask my mom about her experience.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
At 52, periods stopped, like the flip of a light switch. Since I wanted to look young forever, I listened to Lauren Hutton commercials and started to take HRT. After only a few months, I got a big old blood clot in my leg, which could have killed me.
Girls, think long and hard before you take that poison. A few hot flashes won't kill you.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
At 52, periods stopped, like the flip of a light switch. Since I wanted to look young forever, I listened to Lauren Hutton commercials and started to take HRT. After only a few months, I got a big old blood clot in my leg, which could have killed me.
Girls, think long and hard before you take that poison. A few hot flashes won't kill you.
Plant based HRT IS NOT POISON, it's no different than taking many OTC remedies such as black cohash. "A few hot flashes" are not what I have, my hot flashes bring me to my knees and make me in capable of functioning along with brain fog, and a wealth of other symptoms. Every woman is different, and yes we do need to educate ourselves as to what HRT is and what works for them, my HRT is bio-identical, meaning plant based and it's a compounded BIG DIFFERENCE.

I've been on HRT for 10 years now and I've not had any problems. HRT does not equal premarin or other harsh remedys. Many times, most can utilize things like yam creams, black cohash etc. some safer than taking asprin for preventative heart attack. That's why I recommend you all find really good docs who get it, they are rare as hens teeth but worth the time to find one. Your best bet to find one is to ask your same age friends, maybe find a local group online, then BEFORE you go, call the nurse and ask to speak with them to determine if the doc they work for prescribes they way you think should happen. READ READ READ and educate your self about plant based HRT and about the right lab work to be ordered and insist on it and if they won't do it take a walk out and find another doc.

Some of these are adds for products but they do have some good info
Menopause ? Bio-Identical Estrogen Treatment Using Natural Hormones
Making Sense of HRT -- Nat. vs Synthetic
And one of my faves:
Hysterectomy Support, Recovery, Information, Forum, Discussions - HysterSisters

Old 05-19-2011, 10:10 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,138,230 times
Well, Howdy Ladies.

NMS, thanks so much for starting this thread. I don't know that I can be of any help, but here's my story.............

At 40 I was diagnosed with hypothyroid, got on synthroid, disliked the Endo Dr. walked out of his office just shaking my head. What a prick he was!!!

Right around 50, I had my last period. Thought I was going to bleed to death, but after that, they were gone, finni, no mas!!!

So then........ here comes the hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, mood swings, crying, forgetfulness, etc. Did I get on HRT? Hell no!!! Did I get on Prozac??? Oh hell yeah baby!!!

Thankfully, I've been doing pretty good. I just check in with my GP every 6 months, and am still on synthroid & anti depressants. Hey if Momma ain't happy, nobody's happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness