Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,316 times

Advertisements

Went into menopause at 50,just stopped having periods,I thought hey,this is easy....not. 7 Months or so into not having a period and I was hit with
debilitating anxiety,nausea,night sweats,and non stop crying oh,also tinnitus.. BAD. Had tests,etc,etc,tried Bios,made it worse. Then sis got breast cancer so glad I didnt take them. Tried herbal,etc.not helping,sooo
I went on Paxil and yes, it worked and took care of the anxiety! I had lost
20 lbs I didnt need to and gained that back and my appetite,which I had lost
to anxiety. Now I am weaning down and hopefully off the Paxil,which was a lifesaver for me. If I find that the anxiety comes back I think I can handle it now,knowing what it is! And just having Ativan in case,makes it much easier!
I know this is probably an unconventional treatment,but ,it worked for me and at this time in my life,its about quality over quantity! I wanted my life
back and I got it! Some get hit really hard during meno and some breeze through....

Deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 10:16 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Hey NMS! My hot flashes were horrible! Thank the good Lord I am done with it. The OTC stuff for hot flashes worked for a few months, but then wore off. I also have fibroids, but did not have the surgery, so anyone who can hang on till menopause do it! I also took the Black Cohose, didn't get much relief from it.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Here's my whine and cheese party.....

You know, it's just not fair. Women get pregnancy and babies, we GET to bleed for 25% of our adult lives. Just when we think it's over.....menopause is just as bad. It destroys your sleep and the hot flashes are awful.

I'd bet you money that if men were similarly affected, there would be a cure by now. Imagine the hue and cry, the outrage, if men had to suffer this way.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times
Thanks NMS for starting this thread, kinda nice to be able to toss in a positive note to menapause.

I began my post menapause at a ripe and early age of 41! Yep, and by the time I was 45 I was fully into the other side of life. Because I am the only female in my immediate family that went into a natural menapause I had no one to compare notes with. My sister and mother both had early surgeries and were both on hormones for a long time!

Myself, I was finding it hard to believe when my Internal Med doctor told me I was post menapause at such an early age. But I welcomed it also because I had fibroids and my time of the month was not an easy thing for me to go through. I had about 5 years of symptoms, the worse was hot flashes. Now mind you my GYN wanted to put me on hormones but because fI had breast cancer at 39 I would not hear of it. Much against what they wanted I stuck to my guns. Had a few bad years of mood swings, and hot flashes but once they stopped my life has been wonderful.
I have a much better and calmer personality now, and besides the occasional facial hair I don't have any problems. There is a much nicer world out there once you are through the tuff stuff.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
It just goes to show you how unique each one of us is.

I had fibroids, too, but I never had symptoms, TG.

Some of the problems with the onset of menopause are just not easy to ignore. That's why I went the HRT route. It took a couple of years and a 1700 mile move to get me on the right track. I've been on this course for about 3 years now, HRT for a total of about 6. I tried weaning off about a year ago, but my body wasn't ready. It is now and I'm doing better getting off. I hope to be off completely in a couple of months.

Oh, and the facial hair...thanks for bringing THAT up, Cassy. I just hate it. Now, I not only have to shave my legs, bikini area and underarms (hopefully, that'll change within a few years), I have to worry about whiskers! Oy!

Like ILNC, natural things like soy didn't work for me. I didn't try the black cohose, tho.

Sleep??? What's that???

Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

My doc told me a small shot of soy milk every day would help with the hot flashes, but I'm too scatterbrained to remember. Maybe that's another symptom ... *sigh*
Your doctor is wrong. What you need is a daily shot of whiskey.

-------------------------------------
For anyone who is not currently taking prescribed meds, you can get a whole free menopausal survival kit from Remifemin (an OTC Menopausal supplement) that includes creams, pills and such. The S & H is only $3.49.

https://www.menopauserx.com/eznewsletter/signup.php?

For that price, I think I'm going to order one. I took Remifemin a few years back when I got a free 30 day supply. Took it for about 3 months and the hot flashes I was having at the time just stopped. It also gave me a little more energy.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:45 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Hi, again. This is what I have so far. ENT on Tuesday. OB/GYN with a PA on Thursday. Still haven't heard from "Ms. Valium Drip" MD (GP) yet and it has been hours since I called.

Doctors don't even know what I am talking about regarding the Pellet Hormone Replacement treatments, so it is not even locally here.

I am scared stiff to go on HRT due to the potential side effects and a chance of cancer.

Black cohosh did nothing for me.

The brand name of compound thyroid medication is looking good, and an anti-depressant. I just want my life back, darn it! This is the FIRST day in a week that I have actual thinking capacity. Between being hyperthyroid now, going from hypothyroid, and dealing with the combo of symptoms from both meno and hyper, it is a miracle I didn't jump off a cliff somewhere.

So, which angle do I approach this situation? Yes, I need to see an Endocrinologist ASAP, but GP is not working with me on this, and my appt. is not until August.

Ladies, I am in the medical profession, and am getting truly embarrassed to even say that I am "one of them", due to what I am witnessing as a patient. It leaves one stunned, shocked, and really NOT wanting to go to any doctor.

And whoever said that IF men had to suffer through menopause, yes, you better believe it, there would be better treatments today then we women have. Our voices need to be heard, darn it, and when my brain is working, you better believe my mouth works as well!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:48 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I took black cohosh years ago but it made my breasts hurt (surgical menopause at age 30-something). I had a few years of HRT then the "ugly news" camem out and I quit it. I think the worst of my symtoms were over by then.

BTW, live long enough and all your body hair goes away - just another "benefit (said scarastically) of aging!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
MMS, I too shave my face. Yep, face hair. Now isn't that wonderful. The hair under the arms and legs still going strong, so every time I shave those areas, yep, I do the face too.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:57 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
MMS, I too shave my face. Yep, face hair. Now isn't that wonderful. The hair under the arms and legs still going strong, so every time I shave those areas, yep, I do the face too.
A couple of months ago I noticed I had peach fuzz growing on the sides of my face. Don't think I would shave it though. Wouldn't that make it worse GoE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness