Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:38 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Actually, the original technique was done centuries ago in Persia(Iran). It's been used extensively in the middle east and India ever since.

I've never had it done but I have seen it done. The thread is used to grip the hair like tweezers.
OUCH! I will shave thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:40 PM

Question: Anyone besides me have problems keeping a lid on your anger? Is it harder to keep the mouth shut when you are angry and these well these um things just come flying out of your mouth that leave you wondering where on earth did all that come from?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Question: Anyone besides me have problems keeping a lid on your anger? Is it harder to keep the mouth shut when you are angry and these well these um things just come flying out of your mouth that leave you wondering where on earth did all that come from?
Oh..anger. Well I have a problem expressing anger.

But you know, when I first went off the premarin (my self inflicted menopause I called it) I had an acquaintance tell me a few months later that I had really hurt her feelings one day when I snapped at her.

She was someone I talked to at the gym from time to time. I felt terrible, and apologized, even though I couldn't remember the incident. She said she felt really bad until another gym member, who knew me better (I use a women's only gym) explained to her that I was "going through menopause".

I suppose everyone remembers the famous "All In The Family" episode where Edith is going through menopause and she screams at Archie to "Stifle, Stifle STIFLE!"?

So yes, anger is part of it.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:36 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,222,319 times
I lost the anger many years ago, maybe I am not the normal and for that I am thankful. My personality is nicer than it was years ago, I just chalk it up to age! Lol, when I was first into menapause I DID lose my temper with a co-worker that just about lost me my job! But in my defense the co-worker was on an ego trip and thought she was better than anyone else.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:43 AM

There is a mighty positive aspect to all this changing during menopause. Did you know that your entire brain is being rewired during menopause? I think that is fascinating just thinking about it and asking myself why, why and for what purpose?

Anyways, back to the positive aspect......

My confidence in who I am as a person has deepened. I find myself more readily expressing myself easier, and when it comes to me, that is a challenging task to do at times, for I seem to think differently then most, seeing things from different perspectives.

My intuition has deepened, and my "knowing knack" has gotten stronger and because I feel more confident about expressing myself, I speak up about what I believe to be true. I enjoy now the fact that younger women listen with respect when I speak, and it gives me such pleasure to know that in some small way, I am helping women in their own individual lives.

As others have pointed out here, ya gotta laugh or else ya'll just go nuts with all the changes. It's not called the Change of Life for nothing. But out of all that chaos and confusion, comes a new feeling of confidence in oneself, hard-won, yes, yet it is there. I like that.

My best friend who has transitioned used to say "I am entitled to say shi* whenever I want to. I've earned it. And if people don't like it, too bad!" And then she would laugh. It is surprising to hear that word come flying out of a 90 year old woman's mouth, and it is downright funny. But as my friend pointed out, you gain some privileges in getting older, and saying the shi* word whenever, is one of those privileges. LOL

Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Ive heard "Threading" is great for facial hair. Anyone done that?

Greenchili
I'd never heard of it before. One day while checking out a spa gift for Mother's Day, a woman appeared at the desk to pay for her session. Her face was red, welted and bleeding everywhere. I couldn't help but ask if she was alright, and she said she was ok, .. had just finished a threading session.

She explained how it was done and it sounded and looked so painful that I couldn't imagine doing it.

Same for that honey 'glue' and cloth that almost rips your face off .. just isn't worth it.

You can buy those small, round pencil-type razors that easily remove bits of unwanted hair, pain-free.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned ultra-primrose oil yet or not .. but it really helps with mood swings and hot flashes. Suggest the 1000 mil with 100 GLA, morning and evening with meals. Also maca root is good for flashing.

And as great as red wine is, it's a trigger for an immediate hot flash for many. .. and chocolate, .. and coffee .. and sugar .. and .. almost anything that really isn't good for you unfortunatley

Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Not sure if anyone's mentioned ultra-primrose oil yet or not .. but it really helps with mood swings and hot flashes. Suggest the 1000 mil with 100 GLA, morning and evening with meals. Also maca root is good for flashing.
Be careful with primrose oil or any other herbal if you are taking prescription medications. Herbals and homeopathy are not "harmless" and there are dangers of drug interaction.

I mention this because a few years ago when I was at the dr discussing my terrible insomnia, I had a nurse come up to me later and suggest I take evening primrose oil to help me sleep. I was on Wellbutrin at the time, and as it turns out, when I did a search I found serious contraindications between primrose oil and Wellbutrin

So just be careful out there!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:40 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,893,720 times
Acupuncture Eases*Menopause - Dr Weil's Daily Health Tips - Natural Health Information

Old 05-24-2011, 04:07 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Ive heard "Threading" is great for facial hair. Anyone done that? Greenchili
Yes I had that done when getting my hair cut in Egypt a few years ago. It looked like dental floss that he had doubled and twisted on one end and held each end in the other hand and he rolled it over my face so it yanked out all the peach fuzz. It def stung but wasn't horrible and I didn't bleed. I suppose it depends on the skill of the person doing the threading. The funny part of the story is that after he cut my hair and threaded my face he began to massage my neck and it felt kind of good but made me a little nervous. I was right to feel that way b/c he began feeling around in my shirt right after that so I had to put a stop to it. (He wasn't that hot either, lol)

Oh, and this won't work for those course hairs that grow on your chin--only peach fuzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Be careful with primrose oil or any other herbal if you are taking prescription medications. Herbals and homeopathy are not "harmless" and there are dangers of drug interaction.

So just be careful out there!
I love trying natural remedies but I totally agree. One major counterindication that I've read about EPO is if you have a seizure disorder, it can lower the seizure threshold, so I don't use it. I don't have a seizure disorder any more, since I stopped drinking diet soda, but apparently I have a low threshold so don't want to take chances. The point I'd like to make is that if you decide to go natural, do your homework and do lots of research. SLoan Kettering has an excellent website about herbal remedies and presents all the research that's been done on them. It's amazing how much research there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Usually I have no problems but last month just before my period, which was a couple of days late, I was trying to go over to this big church in town to do some volunteer cleanup from the tornadoes, and though I'd been over there about 3x before, I couldn't find it and I got so frustrated that I was having a fit and crying and just generally making an ass out of myself. A total overreaction, so I just went on home and was fine for the rest of the day, but boy was that weird. Also, I've had a couple of doozies of temper tantrums in the last couple of years but that was probably more related to my divorce, though hormones certainly could have been involved.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
I'm 49 and have felt like I've been in peri-monopause for years, but according to my OB-GYN and bloodwork, I've only recently actually entered into it. Anyway, first I went through a period of super heavy periods and flooding and some minor hot flashes and night sweats. Last November I had a period that lasted a month. It would act like it was over and then come back with a vengeance. I had scheduled a d&c and possible uterine ablation when the bleeding finally stopped. Since then I've had sporadic very light periods.

During the last 4-5 days I've been having hot flashes and night sweats, but have not had one since yesterday evening, which is great. I'm going to try to avoid taking any hormones, but will if the symptoms get too bad.

As far as anger goes, I've experienced some. It usually starts with me arguing with someone in my head, followed but an outburst that takes the recipient (usually my dh or ds) by surprise. I'm all for expressing anger, but know that the way I'm doing it is counter-productive, so I'm working on that. Overall, the most annoying symptoms are the hot flashes and night sweats.

Thanks for starting this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness