U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 04:46 PM

13,138 posts, read 37,733,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
I just went out and bought some brocolli and spinach for my salad, can't wait for dinner!
I usually let my Frozen Brocolli defrost naturally as i'm still unsure about microwaving it as the extreme heat could damage the Phytonutrients and Enzymes but again thats just my prefer.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 07:36 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,569,384 times
I rarely use lettuce, seems tasteless, relatively lacking in nutrition value, though high in fiber. I usually will use spinach and cabbage and go from there. The ideas about using fresh broccoli sound good, as it is more palatable to me UNcooked. Love those little cherry or grape tomatoes, but are SO expensive! For crunchiness I use sunflower seeds, yummm...

Anyone have a good homemade dressing recipe?? I never buy dressing, always tastes bad, so wind up just using olive oil and rice vinegar. Then sprinkle on some herbs, whatever I am growing at the time.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:45 AM

68,596 posts, read 16,865,371 times
Some markets have those little cherry tomatoes,they are expensive! they are excellent though
Have tofu with the little cherries broccoli with different types of veggies! very healthy!

Old 08-06-2007, 09:16 AM

14,495 posts, read 24,584,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
How about tofu? It's great for health too!
Since I am alergic to milk,I have soy milk with cereal,add blueberries,hump seed powder,and oat bran cereal and pumpkins
What is grape tomatoes?
I love tofu! It is soy/curd mix with soy sauce- excellent salad- which vegetarians eat to get their protein (instead of fatty meats)

grape tomatoes are less tart, and similar to cherry tomatoes.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 AM

7,778 posts, read 17,457,473 times
lilypad wrote:

I never buy dressing, always tastes bad, so wind up just using olive oil and rice vinegar. Then sprinkle on some herbs, whatever I am growing at the time.

Same for me. Most of the store bought dressing has a pretty crappy taste. I start with good quality ( expensive! ) olive oil, add some balsamic vinegar and Braggs Aminos for a bit of salty flavor, & various herbs depending on my mood.

Someone mentioned lettuce as being tasteless, which is absolutely true of iceberg head lettuce. ( does iceberg lettuce have any nutritional value? ) However, there are other types of lettuce that are actually very good tasting and probably provide some nutritional value too.

blessings....Franco

Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 AM

68,596 posts, read 16,865,371 times
Soy beans are a good source of protein,not just for vegetarians,here in the San Gabriel Valley is a common diet within the Asian community.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:31 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,569,384 times
Ah, Franco, thanks for the reminder! My sister does that, and uses sesame seeds in it, very delicious on fresh spinach and bacon bits (kosher only!). Now my task is to find Braggs in Texas!!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:37 AM

7,778 posts, read 17,457,473 times
lilypad

You should be able to find Braggs Liquid Aminos (broken link)in just about any health food store, even in Texas. It's a common item that has been around for many years. If for some reason you can't find it in a store, you could buy it online directly from Bragg.

regards...Franco

Old 08-06-2007, 12:20 PM

34,424 posts, read 63,757,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Some markets have those little cherry tomatoes,they are expensive!
Cherry tomatoes are so easy to grow, even in a pot on a patio. At least that way you'd have an endless and cheap cheap cheap supply during the summer.

*wolfing down a salad of red cherry tomatoes, yellow pear cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, and olive oil*

Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 PM
jco

2,120 posts, read 6,083,051 times
I was just wondering what the best foods to eat were. Thanks for sharing this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness