Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 06:42 AM

201 posts, read 648,473 times

Advertisements

I am hoping that the help of this forum can shed some light on what I have been feeling. I am a 28 year old male.

About two weeks ago after a night of going out with friends I drank a few beers, nothing liquor related and headed home with my girlfriend. In the middle of using the restroom I began to feel very shaky and dizzy. I woke up to my girlfriend crying over me and I had no idea what happened. She told me I hit my head on her bathroom sink and passed out. She also told me that I was shaking a little bit immediatly after the fall. I felt the back of my head and there was a very sore spot and a large lump. I was not bleeding.

I got up and she and I talked. I fell alseep a little later with her checking on me constantly and had no problems. A few days later the PCS symptoms began to come into play. I was dizzy, felt sick, had trouble walking, uninterested in doing anything, loss of appetite and felt hot.

Again, since this was a few weeks ago some things have really changed. Besides giving up drinking and taking better care of my body in general i have not felt sick in weeks and i have never thrown up even though i felt like i might. I hate my job and it is stressful and because of that my symptoms increase 10X only at work. when Im at home, in bed or out having fun I almost feel 100% normal.

The worst symptom for me is feeling warm and hot. I have done a little research and have found that "hot flashes" can and do occur, but for me they are the main source of my trauma. If I really push myself (I like to exercise and play music as well) i get hot after a few minutes and have to completely stop. Has anyone experienced this?

This is by far the worst injury of my life but I thank God that I havent lost my memory or ability to be a human being. I can write, I can speak and I can eat and I am forever thankful for that.

I am only looking for advice and comfort. I have done research and it seems that I have some common symptoms but not others.,

My current symptoms:
Feeling warm, off balance on occasion, blurry vision in one eye some times.

My past symptoms:
Feeling sick, sleepless nights, loss of appetite

Symptoms I have never had:
Loss of memory, throwing up, headaches, tension in ear

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
What does your physician say?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:58 AM

Appointment is Monday... Trying to get some comfort before I face the long weekend.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,964 times
it sounds as though you had altered conciousness before you fell and hit your head. it may well be that your symptoms now may be related to whatever it was that made you fall in the first place, not as a consequence of the subsequent blow to your head.

you need thorough investigation by your physician - it is impossible to say what might have caused this, but based on your description, a seizure cannot be ruled out.

good luck with your appointment - it may just turn out to have been "one of those things" with no clear cause, however treatable conditions need to be excluded.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:30 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
micturation syncope = "loss of consciousness during or immediately after urination"

I've had that happen before. I went to a movie and "held my water" for way, way too long. When I depressurized my bladder I got some vagal nerve stimulation and experienced a precipitous drop in blood pressure which caused a fallout. It's actually not that uncommon and probably not something to be overly concerned about if you are a young man without family history of CNS illness.

About the concussion: get an opinion from your doctor. There isn't much to be done other than rest and to take care not to "stack" head traumas. If it is a concussion and not a more serious injury, the symptoms will fade with time. Be sure to tell your doctor that you have blurred vision in one eye, though.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM

kronenborg. Thank you very much for your response. I do appreciate your input

Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 AM

Thank you Jimboburnsy. I appreciate your help

Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBrock77 View Post
About two weeks ago after a night of going out with friends I drank a few beers, nothing liquor related and headed home with my girlfriend. In the middle of using the restroom I began to feel very shaky and dizzy. I woke up to my girlfriend crying over me and I had no idea what happened. She told me I hit my head on her bathroom sink and passed out. She also told me that I was shaking a little bit immediatly after the fall. I felt the back of my head and there was a very sore spot and a large lump. I was not bleeding.
Is it a seizure or is it syncope? the story continues…. « Braindisease’s Weblog

This may be able to help you satisfy yourself as to whether or not you had a seizure or a fainting episode, but this is no replacement for a medical evaluation. Talk to your girlfriend and see if she can explain or demonstrate exactly how you were moving while you were out.

A little shaking or convulsive movement of the extremities does not necessarily indicate a seizure or rule out fainting.

By the way, did you "have an accident" while you were out? If you managed to "squeeze off the flow" you probably didn't have a seizure.

EDIT: Also, when I awoke from my syncope incident, the first thought into my head was "what the *eff* was that???" While I didn't have any idea what had just happened, I immediately knew where I was and what I had been doing when I started to fall out. Is that similar to what you experienced? In other words, did you come back from la-la land quickly or were you confused about where you were for a while?

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 09-23-2011 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Is it a seizure or is it syncope? the story continues…. « Braindisease’s Weblog

This may be able to help you satisfy yourself as to whether or not you had a seizure or a fainting episode, but this is no replacement for a medical evaluation. Talk to your girlfriend and see if she can explain or demonstrate exactly how you were moving while you were out.

A little shaking or convulsive movement of the extremities does not necessarily indicate a seizure or rule out fainting.

By the way, did you "have an accident" while you were out? If you managed to "squeeze off the flow" you probably didn't have a seizure.

EDIT: Also, when I awoke from my syncope incident, the first thought into my head was "what the *eff* was that???" While I didn't have any idea what had just happened, I immediately knew where I was and what I had been doing when I started to fall out. Is that similar to what you experienced? In other words, did you come back from la-la land quickly or were you confused about where you were for a while?
From what I remember I got out of bed, walked to the bathroom, finished up everything I needed to do and even talked to my GF for a second. After finishing up but still facing the toilet to flush I got VERY dizzy, felt like I was going to throw up and passed out completely.

When I woke up and she was there I passed it off as another drunk fall that was just a stupid move. After she said I hit my head I felt very bad that I had put her through that. I still dont remember falling, passing out or the impact itself, but right after I got up I knew who I was, knew who she was and knew where I was and didnt forget a thing. I just didnt know what I was doing on the floor.

It's embarrasing to admit, but from drinking I have fallen for a total of 4 times in my life. I have realized that wether it was 4 beers or 4 shots my body doesnt like alcohol and i have to give it up. Wether the fall had to do with drinking, loss of blood pressure, getting up too fast or anything else, drinking did indeed play a factor and for me, alcohol brings nothing but negative expereinces and causes me accidents. Some people can guzzle it down better than others. I have always been the type of who has 3 beers and then is bouncing off the wall.

When it happened and she was crying over me I was so embarrased. I looked at myself as one of those people who pours on drinks but who cant tolerate alcohol. For some reason there has been a lot of shame with this accident and i dont know what i was trying to prove. I only had 4 beers that night, am 5'10 and weigh 185 pounds... I still have no idea why that happened to me.

Last edited by STP554987; 09-23-2011 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: adding things.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:56 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Please don't be ashamed of your intolerance for consuming massive quantities of beer--or any other kind of booze. Me, I've always been a "cheap date"--or light weight drinker. My system, too, has quite a low tolerance for alcohol--it is, after all, a poison to our systems.

I'm done after two beers or two glasses of wine--or two of most anything with alcohol in it.

Part of being an adult is knowing yourself and not stepping over the line into making yourself sick. Some people have a pronounced allergic reaction to wheat products--and beer is made from wheat. Maybe it's wheat that's setting you off? But four beer is a lot, IMO.

I hope your tests and exam find nothing major....maybe your reaction was your body's way of saying, "enough"??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness