Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:47 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Very interesting Stepka.

I think that once you can no longer metabolise significant levels of carbs, you are best to switch to a low carb diet.

Even if your blood sugar levels are normal...........you may be pumping out a ton of insulin to keep the BS levels that way. Also, from what I have read, high insulin levels can actually damage insulin receptors......they will also recede in an attempt to protect themselves from toxic levels of insulin.
Yes I've heard that too and am running scared. Yeah, have cut some carbs and trying to get more protein and fiber--I suspect it's the only thing that will save me from alzheimer's, and the bonus is that I'll also avoid some of the other stuff like diabetes and heart disease. And. . . I'll be purtier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes I've heard that too and am running scared. Yeah, have cut some carbs and trying to get more protein and fiber--I suspect it's the only thing that will save me from alzheimer's, and the bonus is that I'll also avoid some of the other stuff like diabetes and heart disease. And. . . I'll be purtier.

Good job!

I will say though, lots of people who have carbohydrate metabolism disorders have suboptimal results on a low carb diet........that includes too much protein..................and not enough fat

Most people with some type of carbohydrate metabolism disorder have a problem with excessive conversion of protein into glucose (Gluconeogenesis)................leading to blood sugar levels and other health markers not improving as much as most people expect.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Good job!

I will say though, lots of people who have carbohydrate metabolism disorders have suboptimal results on a low carb diet........that includes too much protein..................and not enough fat

Most people with some type of carbohydrate metabolism disorder have a problem with excessive conversion of protein into glucose (Gluconeogenesis)................leading to blood sugar levels and other health markers not improving as much as most people expect.
Yes I've heard of that too, but I don't think I'm one of those people. Actually I suspect that I've not eaten enough protein in my diet for years b/c I'm just not a big meat or bean eater--I crave carbs really, which is not good for my ADD either--I think a high carb diet affects the brain in many ways.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Yes I've heard of that too, but I don't think I'm one of those people. Actually I suspect that I've not eaten enough protein in my diet for years b/c I'm just not a big meat or bean eater--I crave carbs really, which is not good for my ADD either--I think a high carb diet affects the brain in many ways.

No way of getting around it for the most part..........most people cannot handle lots of carbs without putting your health at risk in the long run.

Even if your blood sugar is normal............you have to crank out a lot of insulin to metaoblize all that glucose. High amounts of insulin are probably just as bad, if not worse than high BS levels.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
No way of getting around it for the most part..........most people cannot handle lots of carbs without putting your health at risk in the long run.

Even if your blood sugar is normal............you have to crank out a lot of insulin to metaoblize all that glucose. High amounts of insulin are probably just as bad, if not worse than high BS levels.
Yes, insulin is inflammatory and some scientists believe that it's inflammation that is so bad for your brain. I'm using turmeric just in case.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:46 PM

Diabetes and the Brain

Insulin and Insulin Resistance
A growing body of literature suggests that defects in cerebral insulin action may be linked to cognitive dysfunction.51,52 Insulin receptors have been found to be widely distributed in the human brain, with higher concentrations located in the hypothalamus, cerebellum and cortex

Old 12-28-2011, 07:41 AM

574 posts, read 1,064,348 times
No one will know what has caused AD in a particular person until an autopsy is done. It is not an exact science and there is no cure. My Mom was never a sugar freak and does not have diabetes yet she now has Dementia...the first in our family. At the very least, eating healthy will only help improve the quality of life as will keeping you mind exercised, but I doubt will prevent you from getting AD.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 AM

233 posts, read 753,224 times
I took a lot of adderall growing up and would often times read about the chemical and it's neurotoxicity. I searched for something to bring my brain back from any damage and found the racetam class of chemicals..

read up on em..

the most popular is piracetam but i have taken ani, prami, and oxi...I like them all and they make me feel better. I no longer take adderall but if I do I take some aniracetam at the end of the day when I begin to get fuzzy and I do better..

Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
No one will know what has caused AD in a particular person until an autopsy is done. It is not an exact science and there is no cure. My Mom was never a sugar freak and does not have diabetes yet she now has Dementia...the first in our family. At the very least, eating healthy will only help improve the quality of life as will keeping you mind exercised, but I doubt will prevent you from getting AD.
bbekity, I am trying to get to the bottom of something so please excuse my questions. Has your mother had any other symptoms of poor glucose control, such as overweight? Is she a pear or an apple? Do you know her cholesterol level? Even if she's never been much into sweets, what about the rest of her diet--as in, does she prefer carb foods or more protein and vegetable foods? What is her age now? Has she had depression? Has she suffered any pain or digestive problems? The reason I ask that last question is because inflammation seems to be a major contributor to AD and a high insulin level is the most common reason for people to have inflammation but not the only one.

My mother has never had diabetes and she actually laid off the sugar for years but she still ate a lot of carbs and a low protein diet--perhaps she put it off for a few years but she still got it early. So hard to say.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 PM

574 posts, read 1,064,348 times
Quote:
bbekity, I am trying to get to the bottom of something so please excuse my questions. Has your mother had any other symptoms of poor glucose control, such as overweight? Is she a pear or an apple? Do you know her cholesterol level? Even if she's never been much into sweets, what about the rest of her diet--as in, does she prefer carb foods or more protein and vegetable foods? What is her age now? Has she had depression? Has she suffered any pain or digestive problems? The reason I ask that last question is because inflammation seems to be a major contributor to AD and a high insulin level is the most common reason for people to have inflammation but not the only one.

My mother has never had diabetes and she actually laid off the sugar for years but she still ate a lot of carbs and a low protein diet--perhaps she put it off for a few years but she still got it early. So hard to say.
Whew...let me see. I haven't lived with her for twenty three years but from what I remember, her weakness was bread. She had a pretty balanced diet other than that and was a little over weight as many women her age tend to be. She lost a lot of weight back a few years by drinking shakes that Walgreen's sells. She had problems staying on track with conversations for a long time before her diagnosis. Probably had high choleseral for which she takes medications and low thyroid. For months during this illness, my elderly father forgot to give my Mom her thyroid medication which made her hallucinations worse. This was discovered when she was checked into a psych ward for three weeks as well as having kidney issues. She did not have diabetes though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness