Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,572 times

Advertisements

Will my AS effect my chances at acting or singing-songwriting? I have been studying the business of both and they all sound very interesting. As far as a conventional career, I'd want to start there and work up towards more "high profile" stuff if I get the opportunity. I constantly debate in my head whether I will be good at acting (at least as a business) or not. I follow rules pretty rigidly, and I think that is required to make it, among other things. I am not asking it to guarantee me fame and fortune, though. I would like that opportunity, but for now I should focus on making a career out of it. This is a recent fascination (a little more than a year) and I know I may never be very good unless I work extra hard. I can live doing something else, I'm just enticed by possibilities right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 06:22 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default I think Dan Aykroyd

may have had Asperger's

Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
If you can't recognize emotions on others, or feel many of them yourself, how can you portray them? If you are awkward socially, you won't succeed as "the business" is more of a who-you-know type thing to get your foot in the door. It seems pretty far-fetched to me. You could try out for a local theater production to see how you do.

Singing/songweriting would be the same. If you have difficulty with emotions, can you portray them in singing or write about them effectively?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Keanu Reeves and Keith Olberman probably have Aspergers. Also suspected are Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable.

I'm assuming you do not have any stage- fright, or you wouldn't be asking. Individual Aspies do not normally have ALL of the characteristics, so that might not be one of yours, but you could still have a lot of the others behavior signs.

More difficult than performing live on stage, could be having non--destructive business and professional relationships with your other coworkers and co-performers. That is the area where Aspies most often encounter problems in any sector of the professional world. Show Business is a "looser" profession, in that you need to be good at covering your ass against unscrupulous associates and people who are highly motivated to cut each other's throats (in other words, a lot of two-faced prima-donnas), and Aspies don't function very well in that kind of an environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Singing/songweriting would be the same. If you have difficulty with emotions, can you portray them in singing or write about them effectively?
Aspergers certainly didn't stop Shakespeare, W B Yeats, or Emily Dickinson from writing about their emotions. And Aspies DO have emotions.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-08-2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 03:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I didn't say they don't have ALL emotions. And there is no proof that anyone mentioned here had the disorder, just lay person's speculation.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:00 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Keanu Reeves and Keith Olberman probably have Aspergers. Also suspected are Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable.

I'm assuming you do not have any stage- fright, or you wouldn't be asking. Individual Aspies do not normally have ALL of the characteristics, so that might not be one of yours, but you could still have a lot of the others behavior signs.

More difficult than performing live on stage, could be having non--destructive business and professional relationships with your other coworkers and co-performers. That is the area where Aspies most often encounter problems in any sector of the professional world. Show Business is a "looser" profession, in that you need to be good at covering your ass against unscrupulous associates and people who are highly motivated to cut each other's throats (in other words, a lot of two-faced prima-donnas), and Aspies don't function very well in that kind of an environment.

Aspergers certainly didn't stop Shakespeare, W B Yeats, or Emily Dickinson from writing about their emotions. And Aspies DO have emotions.
I didn’t know about the stage fright thing, if that is a part of Asperger’s, then for me it explains a lot.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:04 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
I didn't say they don't have ALL emotions. And there is no proof that anyone mentioned here had the disorder, just lay person's speculation.
But in all honesty, some of us don’t, or rather, a number of emotions that should, I believe, feel different, feel the same.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Acting could pose a bit of a struggle.....I think.....but songwriting and singing is something you could be amazing at!!Hope you realize your dreams!!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
Quote:
If you can't recognize emotions on others, or feel many of them yourself, how can you portray them?

Wow... pretty narrowminded, doncha think? Aspies DO feel the same range of emotions as NT people, they just have a different way of reading and displaying these emotions.

Aspies 'act' all day every day. They spend much of their time trying to 'act' neuro-typical
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness