Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times

Advertisements

My gues is when you have fewer men workig with shovels etc at the bottom of a pit both the number not kiled in the ditch and the number nt ahve injuries that kil them early is redcued. i think smokig deaths to some degree are made up for toher unheatlhy habit on such things as heart disease reminding high.Bit one alos has to think that heart disase like heart failure cause is more common as peol,e live longer also.In fact it reallt hard to determine mnay disase death accuartely in poast death reports.But we know that heart disase is more commen at earlier age as wellas thongs like diabetes.Both are porjections of earlier death if science isn't able to control the effects.One reason to see medical cost rising really in early age amoung the popualtion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 12:29 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
1. Heart disease
2. Cancer
3. Unintentional injuries
4. Chronic lower respiratory diseases
5. Stroke
6. Diabetes
7. Suicide
8. Influenza and pneumonia
9. Kidney disease
10. Alzheimer's disease
Some of those have contributing factors or conditions [high B.P., sugar levels, etc] that can be controlled by diet or lifestyle.

Early diagnosis and treatment would help with some.

You can never fully avoid accidents, and some diseases hit you from out of nowhere and drop you quick; so there is always a risk.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 PM
ifa

294 posts, read 445,652 times
"From 1900 through 2007, life expectancy at birth increased from 46 to 75 years for men. Life expectancy at age 65 rose from 12 to 17 years among men during this period. (Source: Health,United States, 2009)

Between 1990 and 2007, life expectancy at birth increased 3.5 years for males."

The great increase in lifespan from birth between 1900 and 2007 was probably mostly from antibiotics, since bacterial infections might have killed a lot of infants in the past. The after-65 lifespan only increased by 5 years, for men, in that period. We can't tell from this data when that increase occurred.

There was a 3.5 year increase between 1990 and 2007, for from-birth lifespan (men). But we can't tell from this data if that was mostly a decrease in infant mortality.

So, it is very possible that any recent after-65 lifespan increase was very small, and possibly could be entirely accounted for by a decrease in cigarette smoking.

Therefore, the new miracle drugs might have had absolutely nothing to do with longer lives. And new diagnostic tests and surgical technology probably had very little effect.

And therefore, maybe we should stop worrying so much about health insurance, since the benefits we get from the medical industry are minimal. We only need them for emergency surgery or antibiotics.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:05 PM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
I know an awful lot of active 80 year olds...of course, if they were dead I wouldn't know them...but when I say "active" I really mean it. They are constantly on the go - taking classes, on bowling teams, walking, belonging to an aquatics (think that's what you call pool dancing), going to meetings, volunteering, biking, going to the gym (some have a personal trainer), traveling, doing outdoor photography. I actually have a photo of some older man (has to be late 70s to early 80s, keeping up with a young woman at the end of some local running marathon...and they do this stuff in our heat, too.

I have to believe they all took an active lifestyle into retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness