Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:44 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
It does not only impact the legs, as one would believe, by its name. It impacts all of my limbs, until the med kicks in.

I dont get the creepy crawly feeling...TG...but, I do have to sit there, well, lay there , and knock my hands on the head board, or now, the wall, until it has all calmed down.

Move my legs around... etc. It does not only effect the legs... FYI
You are sooo right. I also have this RLS in my shoulders and arms. sometimes worse than the legs, but not always. Have to move the arms and try to find a comfortable position in which to rest and hopefully fall asleep. Makes it difficult for my hubby.

Since he has had health issues, we have taken to sleeping in separate rooms most of the time. He can't stand my tossing and turning and I have difficulties with his snoring and having to use a breathing apparatus.

Life gets a little amusing and difficult as you get older, but not without some solutions. Good luck to you, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 03:53 PM

417 posts, read 1,282,184 times
Cinderobyn and NorthwoodsVoyager--I can count myself lucky that I only have it in my legs. I cannot begin to envision what it must be like having the rest of the body involved.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:23 PM

Default RLS anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessvanessa View Post
Cinderobyn and NorthwoodsVoyager--I can count myself lucky that I only have it in my legs. I cannot begin to envision what it must be like having the rest of the body involved.
Thanks for your comment. But as you know, RLS is difficult no matter where I thought it was bad enough at first with the legs. I didn't know then that the arms could ever be involved. When it began in my arms, I couldn't imagine what in the world it could be. Then after much research I finally figured it out and told my Dr. He confirmed.

The Tramadol and Mirapex combo has, at times, been a life saver for me. I just hope that my body does not become used to this and then have to try something else.

Good health to you and have a restful night

Old 08-12-2007, 05:47 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
how awesome to have this thread!
I have RLS too, its worst from my midback down my legs, and mild in my arms. We have no insurance, so I get to try and deal with mine w/o meds. Im lucky though, most of the time if I keep to stretching during the day, back off from caffine afternoon on, and dont have too much stress, its bearable. When I get really stressed, do a long trip, dont stretch, too much caffine or other triggers, thats when it gets so bad my legs do the uncontrollable spasming. hate that!
Ive found too, that if I keep my feet cool, it helps. Odd, but hey, whatever works, right?
I too, am so glad this is all coming out in the public eye. Ive had mine since I can remember, and I do rememer as a small child, being in hysterical tears, beating at my legs and my mom telling me it was all in my head. Its good to be belived, isnt it.
Tiffany

Old 08-13-2007, 12:25 PM

193 posts, read 1,028,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower53072 View Post
Have you had your iron and ferritan levels checked? People with RLS often need higher levels than most people. I get it when I miss taking my Centrum with iron for a couple of days.

Sounds like you are trying alot of things. I hope something works for you. It is miserable.
I had a hysterectomy two years ago and I am 35 now. My ferritan levels were very low along with my iron and I had rls so bad that I would put holes in our bed sheets from kicking up and down so much. It has gotten better the past year but I still get it and its so annoying!!! I hate getting on more medication on top of my hormone therapy and now I have carpal tunnel to the point I need surgery. Is there any natural ways to help with rls?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Natures way

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
I had a hysterectomy two years ago and I am 35 now. My ferritan levels were very low along with my iron and I had rls so bad that I would put holes in our bed sheets from kicking up and down so much. It has gotten better the past year but I still get it and its so annoying!!! I hate getting on more medication on top of my hormone therapy and now I have carpal tunnel to the point I need surgery. Is there any natural ways to help with rls?
If you do some research on line, you might find a method that would suit you individually. In the beginning I tried certain exercises, like leaning against a wall for a count of 10 , back for 5 and to the wall again for about 10-20 times at different times during the day. Also stood up a lot at different daily tasks and mild walking. NO caffeine after mid afternoon, no chocolate either.
Couple of Tylenol before bedtime. This worked for a few years for me.

Then...nothing helped. So medication it was. After some different combinations, have, I hope, found what is right for me. I agree. Hate to take pills. But, if they do help, I now will just break down and take the pills. Not every pill out there helps everyone in the same way. You may have to try different combinations to alleviate the suffering.

As I have posted earlier, I am now taking Tramadol in afternoon , then 1 Mirapex. Then at bedtime 2 Mirapex. This is now working for me. Heaven help me if I dare forget any of this.

I sympathize with you and do hope that you find some relief soon. Good Luck to you.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:37 PM

princesvanessa: How has it been going for you this past week? Have you tried any of the suggestions? Have you been able to contact your healthcare provider?

Luckily for me, I have not had any seriously bad episodes this past week. Have been taking my own advice and taking my pills on time and doing the moving around that seems to gice me relief. Hope that you are doing better. Please let us now. Good health and good luck to you.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:16 PM

417 posts, read 1,282,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
princesvanessa: How has it been going for you this past week? Have you tried any of the suggestions? Have you been able to contact your healthcare provider?

Luckily for me, I have not had any seriously bad episodes this past week. Have been taking my own advice and taking my pills on time and doing the moving around that seems to gice me relief. Hope that you are doing better. Please let us now. Good health and good luck to you.
Thank you for asking NorthwoodsVoyager. I am gritting my teeth waiting for my primary care provider to return from her maternity leave (she left mid-June). I know I can see her "fill-in" in an emergency but would rather wait for her return in September for getting some Mirapex or Requip (whichever she thinks would be best for me). I have a growing list of things I need to discuss with her. lol

I love the Dove Nighttime Body Wash. Thank you for suggesting it.

Last night I used a tapping exercise that I read in another thread. It actually worked and I fell asleep rather quickly and slept like a baby--very unusual for me.

I was just thinking I should take a walk, do some stretching, take a nice warm shower (w/Dove of course)but decided to give the forums a final check.

You take care, too, I'm off for a walk.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:06 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
I have RLS and the doctor felt the side affects of the medication were worse than the condition. He suggested I drink Tonic water with quinine. I have a glass every evening and the majority of times it seems to work.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I have RLS and the doctor felt the side affects of the medication were worse than the condition. He suggested I drink Tonic water with quinine. I have a glass every evening and the majority of times it seems to work.
Yes, some medications do have serious side effects while other meds are easily tolerated. I have experienced no side effects from either the Tramadol not the Mirapex. However, I am allergic to quinine.

Believe me, my RLS condition is/has been completely untolerable. Not sure that 'any' side effect could be worse..

Have read about the quinine and water treatment and I think it would be a good one for some to try. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness