Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:39 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times

Advertisements

I am not doing a good job preventing from getting mosquito bites (probably because I'm a little worried about the effects of spraying insecticides on my skin so I just don't do it). But then I end up with mosquito bites that are extremely itchy and sometimes i can't help scratching so the problem just gets worse by bleeding etc. What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 10:55 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,089 times
Try anti - itch lotions like Calamine lotion. I know that that one is for poison ivy etc., not for mosquito bites, but when you put it on a mosquito bite it gives you such a relief!!!It works every time. I always put it when I have mosquito bites that I "cannot stand".

But if you go close to the water or somewhere like that, you should put "anti - mosquito" spray because some of them have West Nile Virus that is extremely dangerous if you get it.

Or, I used to do this for a long time - I used to spray BODY SPRAY all over my hands and legs, and it seems that mosquitoes don't like anything that "smells". They would bite, but very rarely. It's not as effective as a mosquito - spray, but it helps a lot!!!That's like an alternative if you don't want to put mosquito spray.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:24 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times
If the OP doesn't want to spray mosq. repellant on their skin for whatever reason, I don't think they'd want to try a various assortment of anti itch creams either. ... that would be treating the symptomns, not the problem. no?

They make a candle you can light, that keeps bugs away, if you're outside, it wouldn't help much (lol) but if you are just getting bitten like I do all over your feet at night while sleeping, try the candle!

Old 08-08-2007, 02:15 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Here's a little FYI for ya that might help:

Mosquitos are attracted to people because of heat, the carbon dioxide we exhale and fragrances in items such as soaps, perfumes, lotions, hair treatments and other personal care products. To reduce the annoyance of moquitos;

wear light coloured, loose fitting clothing.
heat and moisture from barbecues attracts mosquitos, after cooking move away to enjoy your meal

Old 08-08-2007, 02:46 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,320 times
Here's a simple but effective tip.

There is a gadget on the market that does stop the itching once you get a mosquito bite. It works because what makes you itch is the histamine that develops at the bite site as a result of the bug's 'venom'. The 'venom' is broken down by heat (which is why you itch much less, or not at all, while taking a hot shower; this holds true for poison ivy, etc, also). No venom, no histamine, no itch.

This gadget works because the heat generated by the small lightbulb in it, when held against the bite, breaks down the bug-venom. It's small enough to carry in a pocket when outdoors, etc. If you use it right after getting bitten, and maybe again a few minutes later, odds are the bite won't itch again at all. I have one of these and won't go outdoors in summer without it.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...,42551&p=10294

I see there is another model on the market (I have the one above, bought about 3 years ago.) This is on a different website:

insect sting pain relief, bug bite itch stick, bee sting remedy - Buy A Therapik.com

Another way to get the same effect is to take a spoon (silverplate or silver works best, but any metal will do) or other small metal object and hold it under hot tap water to heat it. Apply the spoon or whatever to the itchy mosquito bite. It should be as hot as you can stand it without burning (the hotter it is, the more itch gets deactivated and much more quickly). Try it. It works. And it's free.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:13 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
If it's just a couple of bites that are driving you crazy, slap a band aid on to keep you from scratching for a day or two. It's better than having an ugly sore spot.

Not quite the same thing, but I got in a patch of deer ticks once. Now, we are talking major itch. I wore an array of 21 band aids under my jeans for about a week. No one knew but me.

I use calamine with an antihistimine in it. It's called Caladryl Lotion. Works a lot better than the plain calamine because of the antihistimine.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:02 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
There are products in health food stores that work, and I found one without citranella (which I can't stand) that works. But mostly i dab finger nail polish on mine, which worries me about that chemical. Someone else said to scrub it with soap. Another told me to use ammonia. But the hot spoon would probably be the best, and I know it works on poison ivy, but then I use real hot water. If you are going to be out where there are mosquitoes you may want to wear long sleeves and pants, but then it gets too hot. I only dress like that when I am gardening in the morning.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:39 PM

159 posts, read 355,652 times
Angry Death to the mosquitoes

To keep the mosquitoes away, you can use Avon's Skin So Soft if they still make it. I read somewhere a couple of years ago about it working as a mosquito repellent and it actually worked really well. Makes you feel a little oily, but that's better that being eaten alive.

As for the bites, my mom always told us to take a little Isopropyl Alcohol on a cotton swab or cotton ball and wipe the bite. I don't know how it works, but it always makes my bites stop itching. It also seems to reduces the swelling around the bite as well.

I don't know if it will work for everyone, but it certainly has been a lifesaver for me.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:36 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Put a dab of ammonia on your bit. Itch goes away.

greenie

Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,188 times
Well they say not to put on bug replient but the best one is cutter. It's not harmful to the human skin, because my little sister with sensitive skin can use it and not break out with irritated skin.

When you have a itchy bug bite put anti-itch cream. If you haven't been outside then check for bed bugs, gnats, fleas (if you have pets) and other bugs that my get inside your house.

If you need to know more then email me with the email address riesa.thompson027@gmail.com

I hope this help with anyone with questons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness