U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 07:49 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,032,302 times

Advertisements

So of course I bought some cigarettes. Does anyone have any tips as to how to manage anger? I was doing so well but absolutely had to get my brakes done or I would have stayed in my safe cocoon for longer to get past the 96 hour mark. Sure, I can start over but then I start the withdrawals all over again. Anyway, I am STILL angry and I guess need to learn how to not let this be such a trigger for me. Any ideas? Thx.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,209,332 times
Breathe!
Deeply, consciously, continuously.
Replace the inhale of the cigarette with long and deep belly breaths.
Let out just a bit more breath than you've inhaled to help reverse the stress response.
I've been dealing with the nicotine addiction too and it's fine when i'm in the safe cocoon and with absolutely no stress.
But as soon as any thing .... even any little thing ... triggers the stress response, then it's really difficult.
So it's learning (retraining your system) how to deal with the stress without the cigarette as a release valve.
Drink lots of water and, if you don't already, incorporate some form of exercise into your daily life ... walking, jogging, jumping rope, yoga, anything even if it's very light exercise although sweating out the toxins will be helpful.

And quitting it will get easier!
Oh, i forgot .... anger.
Well, you may be pissed 'cause you have to give up a "friend", ie; the cigarette but also, like food / emotional eating, smoking can be a way to repress difficult feelings.
So, as with any emotion, it's good to learn how to be with your feelings (like as a witness ... just observing, being aware of them) without repressing them but without expressing them in destructive ways.
Also, beneath that anger there may be grief / sadness.
Best to get to that deeper and more soulful state as opposed to being locked in the anger state.
In Chinese medicine the lungs, when unhealthy, ie; when the chi ... the energy is stagnant, are related to sadness.
Maybe you need to do some crying?

Last edited by jaijai; 06-30-2011 at 08:05 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,032,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Breathe!
Deeply, consciously, continuously.
Replace the inhale of the cigarette with long and deep belly breaths.
Let out just a bit more breath than you've inhaled to help reverse the stress response.
I've been dealing with the nicotine addiction too and it's fine when i'm in the safe cocoon and with absolutely no stress.
But as soon as any thing .... even any little thing ... triggers the stress response, then it's really difficult.
So it's learning (retraining your system) how to deal with the stress without the cigarette as a release valve.
Drink lots of water and, if you don't already, incorporate some form of exercise (walking, jogging, jump roping, yoga, anything) into your daily life.
And it will get easier!
Thanks, I've been drinking tons of water. It's just that this guy at the shop told me he'd give me a ride home and then I ended up taking the bus and walking a mile in 110 degree heat (with no water and the wrong shoes) so by then I was REALLY angry. Oh, and I had to take the bus back and in this retarded town I had to be there in 18 minutes or sit on the bus for two hours to go two miles. So I had to grab a stranger and ask for a ride down to the main street.

He was too busy blabbing with some young pretty thing and so finally I just lost it after sitting there for over an hour. I actually interrupted their conversation asking if it was really going to be another hour and a half or two or three more. Then he said he'd give me a ride and I was too angry to even say ok. I didn't arrive before they even opened to sit there for over an hour. I bet had I been young and pretty and thin I would have received the service as promised. So that made me feel like crap too!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,209,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Thanks, I've been drinking tons of water. It's just that this guy at the shop told me he'd give me a ride home and then I ended up taking the bus and walking a mile in 110 degree heat (with no water and the wrong shoes) so by then I was REALLY angry. Oh, and I had to take the bus back and in this retarded town I had to be there in 18 minutes or sit on the bus for two hours to go two miles. So I had to grab a stranger and ask for a ride down to the main street.

He was too busy blabbing with some young pretty thing and so finally I just lost it after sitting there for over an hour. I actually interrupted their conversation asking if it was really going to be another hour and a half or two or three more. Then he said he'd give me a ride and I was too angry to even say ok. I didn't arrive before they even opened to sit there for over an hour. I bet had I been young and pretty and thin I would have received the service as promised. So that made me feel like crap too!
Yeah, it'll always be something.
Like my friend who drinks too much says he wouldn't need to drink if he had a woman and wasn't so alone.
Yeah right. As soon as the fantasy woman becomes real and starts to bug him, chug a lug and when she leaves him, chug a lug.
The thing is, there will always be external events and circumstances that are not to our liking and that we can't control.
That's why it's good to tend to the inner world and let the outer world do its thing and deal with it as gracefully as possible.
Easier (much easier!) said than done, i realize.
But have you ever noticed that when you're feeling good and open and positive, the outer world reflects that?
And visa-versa.
Interesting how that happens.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:33 AM

7,288 posts, read 11,495,860 times
Smoking does help a lot with suppressing anger and anxiety. I personally like EFT and if you go to YouTube and put "EFT and smoking" into the search engine, I think you will come up with a lot of videos that will help you, for free, like right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness